Internet a must

Iver

Don't know where to post this but I am sure someone will move it to the correct area.
For business reasons I need to be able to get to the internet where ever I park the house. Verizon works well when I have a cell I can reach and wifi also is good when available. I do know I will then need a dish to go directly to the satalite. The TV service I have at home is Direct TV so I guess that is the service I want to connect to when remote. I don't want to have it attached to the rig (by other than a cable) and I don't want to go through the manual tuning drill to get the satalites.
This is the place to get the best advice (simplicity, reliability, cost, etc.) so thank you in advance.

Iver

Well, I thought I would be using DirectTV as my connection to the internet. ... could be wrong.

2010augusta

Of you have to have internet where ever you go, check out Ground Control, they offer mobile satellite internet. the systems range from $3,800 to $24,500 for the dish plus a service agreement.

Motosat is another source for mobile satellite internet.

If you are staying in one campground for about a month or so just sign up for cable internet with the provider used by the campground.

2010augusta

Well, I thought I would be using DirectTV as my connection to the internet. ... could be wrong.

DirecTV does not offer internet service. They can bundle you with a DSL provider, but that does not work through the dish it is by phone line, so it is not a viable option while traveling.

Iver

As Yoda would say, "pricy that".
Does anyone know an inexpensive source for a signal booster for my Verizon signal?

Rickhansen

Satellite internet is quite pricey by most comparisons. It's fast, but also has a lot of latency which is terrible for server apps, VOIP, or gaming. I'd have to heavily question VPN compatibility for business use, as well. I used to have Starband, but I'm not sure if they are around anymore. Directv is partnered with Hughes/DirecWay. I'm not sure of any remote-mount, Auto Tuning Setup Satellite internet hardware available. The only one I know of is MotoSat that mounts on the roof, but with a little creativity you could remote mount it on a tripod, I would think.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I would suggest you contact the 3GStore. Tell them what you have and tell them what you want to do. This includes how much you want to do to set it up each time you stay at one location. The bigger decision is how much you want to spend versus how much you want to do. You can get a fully automatic Motostat satellite. All you have to do is make sure you have a clear sky to access the satellite. If you don't mind doing the manual setup, such as using your Verizon Aircard for Internet and Directv Satellite for TV you can get internet most of the time. I have two air cards and am now using the campground's internet because Verizon and Sprint aircard service here is very poor.

Contact the 3GStore (866) 347-8673 first. Here is Motostat as indicated above
Now count out how much mula you want to spend. Remember it only cost a little bit more to go 1st Class.

BC

SmokeyBare

If your considering a Dish System to connect to the Internet, do plenty of research first. HugheNet is one system. It runs us $ 64.00 a Month for the Internet connection Only. You might be able to connect using the same Dish for TV coverage but that will also require a monthly charge. Direct TV can be attached to a HugheNet dish. You might need to have an attachment bar to hold the Direct TV LNB's. That I'm aware of, there is no stand alone Dish System (Dish on a Tri-Pod) that does not require manual tuning or aiming to acquire the signal. To get an automated system, one that does all the aiming to acquire the signal, it will require a Dish attached to the roof of some vehicle and running cables to the modem and then to the computer.

Then there is the LIMITS of what you can down-load. HugheNet has a Fair Access Policy, (FAP) that seriously slows the down-load speed down once you've passed your limit for the day.

If you would like to start learning more about Internet off a Dish, here is a link. http://www.datastormusers.com/

dglatta

How about an Apple iPad with 3g connection? The 3g connection is without a contract and unlimited access is about $30 with no contract.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
If your considering a Dish System to connect to the Internet, do plenty of research first. HugheNet is one system. It runs us $ 64.00 a Month for the Internet connection Only. You might be able to connect using the same Dish for TV coverage but that will also require a monthly charge. Direct TV can be attached to a HugheNet dish. You might need to have an attachment bar to hold the Direct TV LNB's. That I'm aware of, there is no stand alone Dish System (Dish on a Tri-Pod) that does not require manual tuning or aiming to acquire the signal. To get an automated system, one that does all the aiming to acquire the signal, it will require a Dish attached to the roof of some vehicle and running cables to the modem and then to the computer.

Then there is the LIMITS of what you can down-load. HugheNet has a Fair Access Policy, (FAP) that seriously slows the down-load speed down once you've passed your limit for the day.

If you would like to start learning more about Internet off a Dish, here is a link. http://www.datastormusers.com/

If you are looking for any automatic internet satellite setup...Bring your check book.

I'm switching from Starband to IDirect and the conversion is costing big bucks.

jbeletti

How about an Apple iPad with 3g connection? The 3g connection is without a contract and unlimited access is about $30 with no contract.

Tapping out this reply on a 3G iPad :). Like all Internet options, access to the signal is always the issue. For those of us who are pretty mobile, no one option is 100%. If a person was to be at one location for months or more, a solution that fits that location is a best fit for you. Be that WFi, cellular, satellite, DSL or cable.

For me, it's cable modem service at the home office, connected to my devices by WiFi. On the road, it's cellular via a Verizon USB modem and sometimes tethered into a mobile router, then WiFi to my devices. When available, usable and no extra charge, I'll use campground and airport WiFi.

Jim

navyAZ1

As Yoda would say, "pricy that".
Does anyone know an inexpensive source for a signal booster for my Verizon signal?

I use a Wilson signal booster to assist with my Verizon signal it has been great. I've been using this for over 3 years and have only been in 2 places in the US where we could not get a signal. I mounted the exterior antenna on top of the ladder brought the cable thru the wall just below the rear window. Can't remember the model number of the booster but the cost was around $450 a little pricey but well worth it, also with this booster it will boost both your cell phone & Air Card at the same time some booster will on boost one or the other at one time. I have used this with my consulting business sending AutoCAD files with resonable speed. Verizon told me also that they approve of the use of the Wilson brand booster because it has a feature that if you have it turned on and you are close enough to a tower and you don't need the boosted signal the unit senses this and does not supply a boost unless it is needed.

Good Luck

Ron