High piched sound from an electrical outlet?

dick66

We have a 2010 Big Country. Tonight while eating supper we heard a high pitched sound that appears to be coming from an electrical outlet next to the stove and microwave. Any ideas where it is coming from or how to stop it. Thanks.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Welcome to the forum.
You don't say what model you have but if your fridge is next to the the stove you may have heard the fan running on the fridge. I have mine wired through a switch so I can control it manually, when it is on I can hear it hum.

If it is an outlet, shut off the breaker that the outlet is on. If the noise stops, double check that the power is off to the outlet and pull it out check to make sure you dont have any arching going on where the wires connect. Without anything plugged into to the outlet there shouldnt be any current draw-but stranger things have happened.

If you are not comfortable with electric, and you are positive it is the outlet and not a noise being transferred-call an electrician or bring it back to the dealer!!!

jimtoo

Hi dick66.

Welcome to the Heartland Owners forum and family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share if needed.

I have never heard of and electrical outlet making any noise at all,,, but you need to check in the area for your smoke detector or others that may be near... I don't hear high pitch sounds very good myself and sometimes when one goes off from cooking, it sounds like it is coming from someplace else.. I don't know about a GFI plug that may be there,, but always a possibility.

Let us know what you find.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

RollingHome

Wow ! Try to isolate the source and hit us back... You could use a long screwdriver and Push it into WHAT you think is the source... honestly, ya stumped me on this one... First off you need to be absolutely sure of the source and location so we ALL can help ya, Good Luck... Tom

Willym

I read on another forum about a GFCI making a high pitched noise. This was when the power came from an inverter. GFCI's contain electronics and a magnetic coil. This could make a noise from regular 60Hz supply if the GFCI was defective in some way. 60 Hz in sound equates to a "B" pitch, how good is your ear?!

dick66

I found the source of the high pitched sound. It was a battery operated kitchen timer that was in the back of the top drawer next to the stove and right below the electrical plug. Now I feel stupid for asking for advice when a little more investigation would have solved the problem. But, as a new member, I wanted to try out this forum and thought this was a good way. Thanks for your help anyway.

Charlie Harris

Dick, that sounds like something I would do. A little hearing loss can drive my wife crazy when she can hear every sqeak and I cant!

jimtoo

I found the source of the high pitched sound. It was a battery operated kitchen timer that was in the back of the top drawer next to the stove and right below the electrical plug. Now I feel stupid for asking for advice when a little more investigation would have solved the problem. But, as a new member, I wanted to try out this forum and thought this was a good way. Thanks for your help anyway.

Sooo????? Do We Pass????

Don't be a stranger....enjoy the forum and throw the timer away.

Jim M