Chevy Diesel Question

Dave

Traveling Two
What is the difference between a turbo-diesel and a duramax? Any difference in the transmission between the two? I'm looking at purchasing a Chevy diesel but I see both advertised. Thanks and be safe out there!!

ArlingtonFire

The Duramax is a 6.6 L turbo diesel as 2010 Augusta mentioned......The Chevy and GMC use the Duramax(TD) and Allison transmission 06 and newer are 6 speed.....Example Dodge uses a Cummins turbo diesel

Depends who you talk to who's is the most reliable.....Good Luck with your decision !!!!

DMitch

Up untill 2000 Chevy and GMC had a 6.5 diesel that they called "Turbo Diesel" but they are a completely different animal than the Duramax.

PUG

Pug
DMitch is correct. Gm used to make a "piece of crap" turbo diesel but it wasn't a Duramax. It appears you are pulling a 33 footer? I pull a Heartland Cyclone 3950 that is heavy and pulled it with an 02 Duramax 3/4 ton. It worked it very hard and with the single rear tires it did alright but I was overweight on the tires even with oversized tires. I recently went to an 09 Ram 1 ton diesel with Duallies. What a difference it made. The new Chevys and Ram 1 tons are both rated at 350 hp and will either one work very well but go with the Dually it is far more stable and safe going down the road.

DMAX154

2011 Duramax 397 hp and something like 765 tq. Ford is along the same lines. 2011 Dodge ?????????????? Haven't seen any numbers yet.

Thedonald

Hey DMAX154 have you done any heavy mountain pulling? I am getting ready to pull some back roads in WV. Although I have driven truck in WV before and know the lay of the land, I have not pulled my 3200 Sundance with the Durmax in the mountians yet.

Elevatorman

2011 Duramax 397 hp and something like 765 tq. Ford is along the same lines. 2011 Dodge ?????????????? Haven't seen any numbers yet.

Dodge lists the 2010 Cummins turbo 6.7L @ 350HP, 650 ftlbs torque @ 1500rpm. Same as my 2008. No DEF required! I understand that Dodge Chassis Cab Cummins will have the DEF system. The Heavy Duty 2500/3500's do not. Proven engine with lot's of pulling power, why mess with it! As long as they can keep the turbo operating right. So far so good. Cannot find 2011 specs. but from what I heard all will remain as is.

Northern Virginia
Thedonald,

I am not sure which Duramax you are pulling with but I pull with an 08 LMM and pulled our Landmark up a 9% on 55 last fall loaded and with full water tanks. We were heavy and it pulled like a champ. I did have that Steve Martin (Planes, Trains and Automobiles) grip on the steering wheel going up and down those 8 and 9 percents though :)

Duramax1

Your Sundance is heavier than mine but I can say that my combination is absolutely awesome.

The combination of the Duramax with the Allison enables me to climb any grade with ease and the towhaul mode holds the rv back on the descent with very little if any use of the truck brakes.

I could not be happier.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
While I've not pulled in the mountains, only the "hills" of northern Michigan, I'll agree. Using the Tow/Haul and "manual" shift, I didn't have any problems going up or down the grades. But, for future trips, I'm wondering that since GM now offers the exhaust brake on new models if it can be retrofitted to a 2009 without voiding any warranties.

DMAX154

Hey DMAX154 have you done any heavy mountain pulling? I am getting ready to pull some back roads in WV. Although I have driven truck in WV before and know the lay of the land, I have not pulled my 3200 Sundance with the Durmax in the mountians yet.

Yeah I guess. My 3200re is about 10400 dry when we go to the races and I would guess we take an additional 3000 lbs of stuff including water. It does very well my only complaint is that it does not shift out of 5th gear soon enough. ( that would be from 5th to 4th. I have a 5 speed allison ) Other than that it does well. I just pull it out of OD when it starts to lug down alot. It will pull all of the very steep grades on I79 and Rt. 19 at about 70mph.

Chainsaw

Saskatchewan Chapter Leader
We have a 07 LMM, we strugled going up the coaqahalla in BC (very steepmaybe 9%) with our 2003 duramax, but with the 2007,7 LMM when the temp hit 125 the fan cut in, the temp went down and we were climbing at 80KM steady. We were pulling a 14,000lb trailer weer were 23100lb combined weight. use cruise on the interstate as it will run away with all the power it has.

JohnByrer

We have a GVWC of 26,500, pulling with a '06 Chevy DWR. The thing about the mountains is not climbing, but coming back down safely. Rule of thumb, come down in whatever gear you went up in. Control your speed coming down but do so without burning up your brakes. I have pulled through the Canadian Rockies 3 times, up to Flagstaff, AZ (7.500 long pulling feet) 4 times and we are presently up in the Washington / Oregon area. The best investment I have made so far has been for a Banks Speedbrake for my '06 LBZ Duramax. It is like having cruise control for coming down hills and it works through the trucks computer by controlling the variable veins in the turbo. It is just like having an exhaust brake but without having to make any engine exhaust modifications. It works great and all I have to do is set the desired maximum speed and it does the rest without me having to touch the break pedal,,, AT ALL! This product is only available for the Duramax since, as far as I know, it is the only motor using variable pitch turbo veins but you can have a Exhaust Brake installed on the Dodge and Ford diesels.

sgtbigb

2011 Chevy 2500 4x4 crew cab with duramax shows 5th wheel towing @ 16,700 lbs, I do not neet a 1 ton after all!:=)

It may be abe to tow 16,700 but the max CGVW, ( combined gross vehicle weight for the truck and trailer together) is still only 22,000 LBS. So if you have the max load in the trailer of 16,700 your gross weight of your truck can not exceed 5300 LBS.

Regards,

Rick

Northern Virginia
I think the 2011 2500HD Diesel is rated for a GCVW 24500. The better news is the 3500 is now available in a short box, with an even higher GCVW rating

I think the 2011 2500HD Diesel is rated for a GCVW 24500. The better news is the 3500 is now available in a short box, with an even higher GCVW rating
Mine is a '08 so I don't know the stats for the 10 and 11. The point is to watch the CGVW rating ans even at a CGVWR of 24500 your total loaded weight for the truck by itself can still only be 7800.

Best regards,

Rick