Living Rm Slide Awning

labbysmom

I'm having a dispute right now with Heartland Warranty service regarding a slide awning on my 3670 Living room slide. It's too short in length. Does anyone have photos of their living room slide with a topper? The slide is a 154" with a 156" topper that is not centered and the A&E guidelines suggest a 162" topper. I've measured the slide and clearances for the main awning and the 162" is the right length. Please help! I can't seem to convince them mine is wrong. You can see from the photos that the rear edge doesn't cover the slide roof and water will curl back onto the roof. Kinda defeats the purpose of the awning.

Attachments

• IMG_4032..JPG
    IMG_4032..JPG
    75 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_4030..JPG
    IMG_4030..JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_4029..JPG
    IMG_4029..JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 72

Hamshog

Hey Labbysmom,

6" over width, I believe is standard. You could probably convince a blind man that it's wrong, but???

Regards, Hamshog

Two Hands

When we bought our Big Horn we made a lower offer to the dealer's asking price. The dealer declined but offered to install slide toppers and a hitch and we accepted. Thus it was the dealer's responsibility for any slide topper problems and not Heartlands. Could this be the case with you?

Duramax1

I have a Sundance 2900MK and I enquired about the cost of having slidetoppers installed on all three slides.

I was told that a slidetopper could not be installed on the kitchen slide as there was insufficient clearance for it to operate in conjunction with the main awning.

From the pictures you have posted I am left wondering if perhaps that is the reason that a shorter slidetopper was installed

2010augusta

here are the pics of ours. the rear edge is just barely covered.

DSCN6621..JPGDSCN6622..JPGDSCN6624..JPGDSCN6623..JPG

Thanks for the heads up, I'll adjust ours to better center it over the slide. I don't see a need to replace the entire awning.

2010augusta

Okay so I just went out and recenter the awning and here are the new pics. Notice the difference in the screw holes on the brackets.

DSCN6626..JPGDSCN6627..JPGDSCN6631..JPGDSCN6632..JPG

now we have about 1.5" on each side of the slide.

branson4020

Icantre Member
Slide toppers are there mainly to prevent the accumulation of debris. They wont completely keep water off the top of your slide, especially in any sort of wind. The slide should shed water by itself because of the slope of the slide roof.

labbysmom

No the toppers were factory install. Yes, if you watch the video that's online it clearly shows the correct way to install a topper and it should be centered. The video also clearly shows that it is not necessary to use both holes on the brackets. I'll measure again but I'm certain that 162" is what should be there. But short of actually installing one to prove my point I'm at a loss now. Heartland did send me a drawing of the 162" but it was drawn off centre and it shows the mounting rod only 50% inside the rear bracket. But the drawing also shows the clearance for the main awning as being an issue, which it is not in reality. Only in the drawing!

labbysmom

Thanks 2010augusta. How did you do it so fast! Maybe I'll try that, but I don't think I've got as much as you did at one end.

2010augusta

to adjust the awning, remove the 2 square drive screws holding each rod in-place and remove the screw that holds the fabric in-place in the track on the wall.

I then tapped each side alternating from left to right and back with a deadblow to move it about a 1/4" at a time. the fabric moved down the track without any assistance.

once it was centered I replace at the screws.

real easy and just another "small" thing we should not have to correct from the factory.

ralphpam

We have a 3670. Never paid much attention to the slide toppers, so had to go look. Yes, the large one over the living room is slightly off center, but had to study it to make sure. All the toppers come just to the edge of the slides. This is the same as they were on our motorhome - have never seen them that are longer than the slide. Looking at Alan's pictures, his topper is much longer than ours. Ours is even with the slide on one end and short about an inch on the other end of even with the slide. If centered it would be about 1/2 inch short of the slide ends on both sides.

RoadJunkie

What is the actual width of the slide roof itself without the outside frame dimension included? Isn't that dimension the topper would be responsible to cover? Looks to me like a centering job, like 2010Augusta did, would take care of that intended purpose. From you pictures, it looks like the fabric width is pretty close to the width of the slide roof...if the topper were centered.

ralphpam

OK, we went out and really studied our toppers and the only other SOB with toppers in this park. Our small toppers extend a bit from the edge of the slide. Our large living room topper is actually several inches over on the door end and short on the back end. However, all of our toppers were removed to reapply the tape in the front of the slides that was all loose. That may be when ours ended up off center and we just don't look up there very much. The SOB toppers look just like ours and their largest topper appears to be about even with the slide ends - didn't want to stand and stare to long! On our motorhome, all of the toppers were about an inch short on all ends. The wind will blow the rain under the toppers. The best bet is to make sure that the tape in the front of the slide is "stuck down" correctly to prevent any water intrusion. There is a sweeper on the back of the slide to stop the water there.

ChopperBill

Ours has three that extend over the slide generously and the large living room slide just covers on one side and is a little over 2 inches on the other. Will center it up and call it good.

ChopperBill

OK! Whats the secret here?? I made a dozen trips up and down the ladder to adjust the awning. I had about every tool out of my tool box and cant find a driver to fit the set screw! They are torx head. T20 is too small and T25 is too big. I tried to worry it out with USS and metric allen wrenchs. No luck. Went to Seasr and there was no metric torx and they never even heard of them. Cant say I have ever come across one myself. I gave up and went to hide the RV in the storage lot before the Code Enforcement B!#&^ from he!! came to throw my sorry butt in jail.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Went out and looked at mine. On the living room slide fabric extends past both front flanges of the slide about 2" and looks centered over it. On the entertainment center and bedroom slides, the fabric extends past the sides of the slide boxes, but it even with the front flanges on the slides. The kitchen topper is similar to the one on the living room slide.

Looks like you got "short sheeted."

2010augusta

they are a double square, not a torx. just use a #2 square driver and you'll be all set. If you look at the head real close you can count 8 points, so the square drive engages 4 of the 8 corners and works just fine.

jimtoo

they are a double square, not a torx. just use a #2 square driver and you'll be all set. If you look at the head real close you can count 8 points, so the square drive engages 4 of the 8 corners and works just fine.

So.... does double square make it a double Robertson,,, or a squared Robertson??? And if you "squared a Robertson" you would have 16 points. :D We using math or algebra here??? Back in my days ,,, we used to think a "square" was someone who didn't dig it....or was maybe a little "off" :D :D

I love this forum and the Heartland people. :D