Bighorn or Sundance?

dalspot

We thought we had it all figured out.. fell in love with the Sundance 3300QS floor plan, then decided on getting a 1-ton truck vs. 3/4-ton so that opened our options up a whole lot more.

Looked at the Bighorn floor plans today and I really like the 3185RL or the 3585RL, both of which are similar to the 3300QS.

I love the L-shaped kitchen counter, the entertainment slide and that side-aisle bath with the "back" hallway into the bedroom.

Have any of you compared the Sundance and the Bighorn? What did you choose and why?

Thanks.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
To be honest, I did not consider the Sundance when we were shopping. I bought the Bighorn cause it fit our needs. That said, I've never regretted buying something more than I needed, but more often than not, I have wished I had gone bigger when I may have compromised on a purchase. Go for the Bighorn, you've got the truck to handle it.

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Our 3670 is our first RV. Yeah I know that seems nuts to buy a 40' trailer when you haven't ever had a trailer of any kind before. But, we started out together making compromises on the cars we bought and always regretted it. It always ended up costing us more than it would have to just get what we wanted. We started with a small boat and did the same thing. So, we decided to get everything we thought we might ever want to have in an RV, even for retirement. That turned out to be the 3670 for us. You'll know when you find the right rig. You'll walk in and sit down. It will just feel like home. Then you'll know... That's how it happened for us anyway and for 2-3 other couples we know.

Good Luck,
Kristy

SilverRhino

We looked at the Sundance and the Big Horn......both great products, but..... the Big Country was the best fit for us!

The only thing that it doesn't have, that I would like.....Hydraulic front jacks! But I've lived this long without them so it is not a biggy.

Good Luck

Travel Safe!

dalspot

Thanks Kristy, we're doing sort of the same thing - jumping in with our first RV. We're going this weekend to look at two RE units - one a Bighorn and one a Sundance. Other than just passing thru a Bighorn at a RV show, we've not really checked out the specs and features. We did do an in-depth look at a Sundance last week. We also started out thinking we'd get a F250 XL, now we're thinking F350 Lariat!

rick_debbie_gallant

Hate to say this but when we climbed the steps and I carried my bride through the door of a 3670 last year, it was ours the very next day. (well ours and the banks)

caissiel

You have to be honest with yourselves, take the time to make sure its the best unit for the 2 of you and do not skip on some of the options you realy need for the sake of weight or price.

If you do you will be shopping again for a new unit and that can be expensive.

I pull my BC 3500RL with the F250 and is very satisfied of the handling with modified suspension on the truck to improve the ride.

We had a 33ft 5th wheel before and it was as hard to pull as the Heartland models of 4000Lbs heavier.

soon2B

First you have to decide are you full timeing or part time. For us we liked the Sundance but couldn't see it as our house so the BH won hands down, it felt like home!

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
When you are shopping and compare the Sundance and Big Horn you have to remember the Big Horn is a step up from the Sundance. Not to be knocking the Sundance as it is a nice unit too but the Big Horn is a step up both with features and pricing. The bottom line is get what suits your needs at the time and in the near future. If you are happy with the unit no matter what you decide on that is the most important.

Duramax1

We did not do a comparison between the Sundance and the Big Horn.

But, we are absolutely delighted with the Sundance as it totally meets our needs for being on the road for 3 months each year.

I can say however that we would have totally different needs if we planned to fulltime and in that case we would not consider the Sundance but rather we would look at the BigHorn.

We do not have any intention of ever rving for more than 3 months each year and for that reason we feel that the Sundance will probably be our last trailer given our age.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
While the harpoon wound has mostly healed, the purchase of the 3670 was the wife's idea. We went to an RV show, my intention just to look and get ideas for modifying our TT. When the wife, along with my evil older sister, went into a 3670 and met the same saleswoman that sold us the TT, I was doomed. What it comes down to is how much space and amenities do YOU need, not somebody else, and how much are you willing to pay/finance. All kidding aside, we had a 27ft TT and felt cramped. The 38ft BH3670 has all the room and storage the two of us want. And there's plenty of room for the two cats, as well.

Our 3670 is our first RV. Yeah I know that seems nuts to buy a 40' trailer when you haven't ever had a trailer of any kind before. But, we started out together making compromises on the cars we bought and always regretted it. It always ended up costing us more than it would have to just get what we wanted. We started with a small boat and did the same thing. So, we decided to get everything we thought we might ever want to have in an RV, even for retirement. That turned out to be the 3670 for us. You'll know when you find the right rig. You'll walk in and sit down. It will just feel like home. Then you'll know... That's how it happened for us anyway and for 2-3 other couples we know.

Good Luck,
Kristy

Kristy I find your post so humorous. My wufe and I spent almost 2 years shooping around for our first camper. We looked at Class A's, Class C's and 5th wheels. After 2 tears we went to another local RV show and were in a 3670 for about 15 seconds when I told my wife to be very careful about expressing bow she felt about the trailer. It was clear to me we had found our first rig and yes we laughed that it was a 40 foot beheamoth that had everything we wanted. That is now over 2 years ago and still within 15 minutes oof finishing the set up at a campground my wife says "I love my camper." I like it too.

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Yep. We have no regrets about buying the huge trailer lol Sometimes we just go out and sit in it to remind ourselves of what retirement will feel like when we finally do get to retire.

Kristy

dynaguy

you might check with John at lakeshore rv, they carry both product and he might be able to help you decide which one to go with, he helped us with our Cyclone and was very informative and knowledgeable about the product line. Enjoy whichever you end up with, Heartland makes some great rv's!!
ps the number is 231 788 2040

supernan1414

We ordered our BL 3185 Monday.I love the floor plan. We did look at the Sundance briefly. It wasn't upscale enough for me. We were ready to buy a Jayco Designer and then I walked into my first Big Horn. All I can say is WOW. We are weekend campers on a permanent site but full timing or somewhere in between is a possibility in the future. Like others said here you walk in you know this is it.

dalspot

We went to a dealer and checked out two similar units, and decided that the Sundance was the one for us. We absolutely love the 3300QS. We actually felt a bit overwhelmed in the Bighorn, and we have no problem with the mid-profile of the Sundance. We don't intend to do more than weekend or week-long trips.

K

karykatz

Thanks Heartland Owners for all your great comments. Keep them coming.