Sundance or Bighorn?

dalspot

We thought we had it all figured out.. fell in love with the Sundance 3300QS floor plan, then decided on getting a 1-ton truck vs. 3/4-ton so that opened our options up a whole lot more.

Looked at the Bighorn floor plans today and I really like the 3185RL or the 3585RL, both of which are similar to the 3300QS.

I love the L-shaped kitchen counter, the entertainment slide and that side-aisle bath with the "back" hallway into the bedroom.

Have any of you compared the Sundance and the Bighorn? What did you choose and why?

Thanks.

ihsolutions

We were looking at Sundance about a year before buying our Bighorn. We decided later on a full profile unit. That led us to Elkridge (Sundance but full profile) and we worked our way up through all the product lines before arriving at Big Horn.

Heartland does a great job of adding a couple real important features into each brand, while making them not optional, on the ones below. Example, the Big Horn offers hydraulic landing gear, which was a huge plus for me, but is not even an option on the Big Country, which we would have otherwise bought. We didn't have a set budget to work with, so we ended up nearly 50% higher in price than what we had first started looking at.

dalspot

We didn't have a set budget to work with, so we ended up nearly 50% higher in price than what we had first started looking at.

I hear ya! We have to buy a TV too - that started out as a F250 XL, that's now up to a F350 Lariat! I don't care for the two-tone cabinets on the Big Country or the Graystone.

Rmcgrath53

I have the sundance . When we bought it I ran the numbers and it is within the limits of my then SRW F350 2002. Well now I have a 2002 dually F350 and could have gone with a BH or landmark. If you stay with the numbers of your truck I think you should have a F450. The dually F350 is evan marginal on the BH
My pin weight loaded on the Sundance is 2500 lbs. Im sure a BH with a washer and dryer would be in the 3,000 lb range or better for Pin "Weight

Ron

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
I have to agree with Rmc.....that model Sundance will be a load for most 1 ton trucks. They say the pin weight is #1970 but loaed up it will be near #2500.

ihsolutions

I have the sundance . When we bought it I ran the numbers and it is within the limits of my then SRW F350 2002. Well now I have a 2002 dually F350 and could have gone with a BH or landmark. If you stay with the numbers of your truck I think you should have a F450. The dually F350 is evan marginal on the BH
My pin weight loaded on the Sundance is 2500 lbs. Im sure a BH with a washer and dryer would be in the 3,000 lb range or better for Pin "Weight

Ron

I have the BH 3670RL and a 2500HD Silverado. I'm at 2500 pin weight fully loaded which puts me a few hundred pounds over GVWR of my truck, but well within all axle ratings and tire ratings. I'd be well within limits of a 3500SRW, any brand.

Since weighing, I've taken out some unnecessarily heavy stuff from the basement, and added airbags to my truck. It drives 1000 times better than my previous fiver which had less pin weight and within the truck's GVWR.

My point is, don't fall for the hype of duallies and MDT, unless that's what you really want, which is totally fine. I'm just making the point that you don't always NEED one.

soon2B

We were looking for a FT coach and decided on and ordered a BH. Was going to get to TV later to make sure I got the right one. Now looking at the numbers, yeah a 1T dually will tow it and have stability, but the major question remains will it stop it on a long grade out west where we plan on being. Simple physics says no way will a 10000# truck stop a 16000# 5er. Don't know about anyone else, but I want me and mine to be safe. JMHO

jimtoo

Hi soon2B,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge.

Jim M

Paul_in_MN

Last year we were making the same decisions. I already had the F350 diesel 4 door, and an eye on the budget, but a lust for the BH. I found a floor plan such as you describe with nice detailing and substancial tires, wheels, axles in the mid model Eagle Ridge (now called Elk Ridge). For my wife the stand alone bathroom was an absolute no compromise deal. Absolutely no split bathroom with shower in the M Bedroom for her. The Elk Ridge model 34RLSA is probably the one you want to look at. It is also lighter in weight than the BH, with a few compromises, but fit within the weight limits of our TV quite well. At that time is was about 9 to 10 grand less expensive than a similar model BH. We bought it off the dealer's lot instead of special ordering it. If we had planned on full timing with it, we probably would have gone with the BH and ordered the dual pane windows. My wife hates cold weather RVing, so the standard single pane glass is OK, and weighs less. The F350 handles the pin weight quite well, but after a couple of trips, I decided to add the Firestone air bags to level out the truck so the headlights are aimed correctly (plus some other issues were taken care of with this mod).

Enjoy whichever one you decide to purchase!!

Paul_in_MN

dalspot

My point is, don't fall for the hype of duallies and MDT, unless that's what you really want, which is totally fine. I'm just making the point that you don't always NEED one.

One thing I've learned is you'll get 20 different opinions from 20 different people. The 2011 F250's have a payload rating of 2850. The new F350's have a payload rating of 3740. Quite enough to handle just about any of the Heartland's I think. Most models are w/in 100 pounds or so of eachother on the hitch weight anyway. We are considering the 350 because of the Hydro boost brakes as well as the weight difference. I have NO plans to put a washer or dryer in our unit. I don't like the two-tone cabinets on the Big Country or Graystone. I don't see an Elkridge floor plan I like.

But, my question wasn't about our TV, but rather the differences between the Bighorn and Sundance models. Can we get back to the topic at hand? I'm looking for comparisons of the features of the two models only. :)

ihsolutions

But, my question wasn't about our TV, but rather the differences between the Bighorn and Sundance models. Can we get back to the topic at hand? I'm looking for comparisons of the features of the two models only. :)

Well, there are obviously a whole lot of differences. Hydraulic landing gear and slideouts vs. electric on the Sundance, full profile vs. mid-profile (I could not stand up in the Sundance bedroom), hardwood cabinets vs. composite/pressed wood, solid surface counter tops, laminated aluminum frame roof with block insulation, vs wood truss with batt insulation on the Sundance (at least that's what it was when I took the tour last year). Drop frame storage vs. non-drop frame on Sundance. Larger axles (most models) and 16" tires. Larger holding tanks on BH. I could go on and on. This is no slam on the Sundance, I like them, it's just the BH has a ton more features and design benefits, but they come at a price. So the question is, is it worth the price difference TO YOU? Only you can answer that question.

I am in a 2009 Big Country 3490RB and we love it. We are full-timing until later this year when I retire from the Navy and relocate to the next career. If you are planning on full-timing in your new RV, there is no question that a full profile unit is the way to go. You are going to want the additional storage capacity of the BH and the additional headroom of the full profile. If you call the factory, see what the possibility is to order a unit with solid color schemes and not two tone. I don't know if that is possible, but it can't hurt to ask. I know that I would like the bighorn if I were buying another unit. But like it was stated below, it's all in what you can afford. The BH is qite a bit more than the Sundance.

As far as the tow vehicle, you can't go wrong with your dually. Your 2002 has the 7.3L powerstroke diesel and that should ahve all the power you need. My 2005 F-350 Dually has the 6.0L powerstroke and I can pull just about anything in the RV park. The heaviest unit in the RV park is a 22000 lb Travel Supreme and he is pulling that with a 2005 F-350 6.0L with 4:30 gears and airbags. That is all. No after market chips, or anything like that. He just has the weight distributed exactly as it needs to be. His unit has 3 axels and he pulls it up and over the Great Smokey Mountains and does not complain about it.

Good luck with your final decision, but if it were me spending your money for the good of the comfort, I would buy you the Big Horn.

ChopperBill

We were looking for a FT coach and decided on and ordered a BH. Was going to get to TV later to make sure I got the right one. Now looking at the numbers, yeah a 1T dually will tow it and have stability, but the major question remains will it stop it on a long grade out west where we plan on being. Simple physics says no way will a 10000# truck stop a 16000# 5er. Don't know about anyone else, but I want me and mine to be safe. JMHO
GM 2500 and 3500 have the exact same frame, axle, engine, trans and BRAKES. Back to the origanal post. Da horn!

dalspot

Well, there are obviously a whole lot of differences.

Thank you! We will have to opportunity to compare two RE units this Saturday actually - one a Bighorn and one a Sundance.

I was surprised doing a few searches that the Bighorn models at a couple of the discount places were actually priced less than or equal to the Sundance. I expected the Bighorn to price out higher, but I'm not positive either on exact options on the Bighorn units I was comparing. I was a bit disappointed in the quality of the sides of the cabinets and the drawer bottoms on a Sundance we looked at last week.

dalspot

I am in a 2009 Big Country 3490RB and we love it. We are full-timing until later this year when I retire from the Navy and relocate to the next career. If you are planning on full-timing in your new RV, there is no question that a full profile unit is the way to go. You are going to want the additional storage capacity of the BH and the additional headroom of the full profile. If you call the factory, see what the possibility is to order a unit with solid color schemes and not two tone. I don't know if that is possible, but it can't hurt to ask. I know that I would like the bighorn if I were buying another unit. But like it was stated below, it's all in what you can afford. The BH is qite a bit more than the Sundance.

Good luck with your final decision, but if it were me spending your money for the good of the comfort, I would buy you the Big Horn.

Well, hey, we'll take donations ;)

No full-timing for us, we still have to work for a living. We're also short, so a mid-profile fits us just fine, should we decide to go that route. ;)

dynaguy

Are you after a camping 5th or a full time? Bighorn is more full time. Call John at Lakeshore rv, 231 788 2040, he sold us our last few Heartland products and knows them well. He can shed some light on the differences, good luck!

grizzlygiant

We bought a new Bighorn, sold it and bought a new Sundance. The Bighorn was just too big; the Sundance handles like a sports car by comparison. We love our Sundance and are currently living in it full time. Aside from some freezing problems in zero degree weather, everything works well for us.

Riverman

Bighorn? Sundance? Elk Ridge? Big Country?
No garage on any of those!
Check around...someone must have a new or used Cyclone left for sale somewhere.

dalspot

Are you after a camping 5th or a full time? Bighorn is more full time. Call John at Lakeshore rv, 231 788 2040, he sold us our last few Heartland products and knows them well. He can shed some light on the differences, good luck!

Thanks! Will do.