GFI Plugs

LilGTO71

This should be easy but I'm having a senior moment I guess. So here goes............
Are the GFI receptacles only working when there is at least 30A service to the trailer????? When my wife plugs in her hairdryer into the bathroom GFI receptacle, it trips. Having only owned the trailer for 3 months and starting out on a new extended adventure, I don't want to be the one to tell her she can't plug in her hair dryer.......HELP.
Currently, the rig is plugged into 20A service.

Thanks,
John

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
John, the GFI circuit is working when plugged into any 110 volt source no matter what the amperage rating. There are several outlets on the same circuit as the main GFI including the reefer. The reeefer draws a fair amount of amperage and your wife's hair dryer probably adds enough to exceed the amperage rating. That said, does the GFI trip or the breaker for that circuit trip? I honestly don't know if the GFI will trip unless there is a problem with a ground. Is there an outlet under the vanity side of the bed that can be reached for hairdryer use?

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
You said you are on 20 Amp service. That is not enough amps to run the refrigerator and the hair dryer. The hair dryer will draw close to 15 amps in most cases. You need to be at least on 30 amps to use it.

wdk450

Does your wife's hair dryer also have a GFI in the cord? Most all of the new ones do.
A GFI in series with a GFI can cause false trips, I have read on this forum. Maybe she can access another non-GFI outlet.