Where is your First Aid Kit? and what's in it?

GETnBYE

After hubby had a burn accident at work this week, I have realized the importance of fast treatment of injuries. He is going to be o.k., but if this had happened at a campground instead of at work, I wonder how much worse the burns could have been. With camp fires and grills being such a large part of our recreation, I hope we all will have the needed first aid supplies nearby if we ever need them. Our old kit was a small thing with not much in it from a giveaway at camping world. Below is my new kit, we had lots of the items because hubby is an EMT at work also and has a kit, but I am sure the items can be found at any drug store. I am now looking for a larger container to put everything in and have it mark well. I will probably also put emergency contact numbers somewhere on our camper key chains.
Safe camping everyone.
Nita

Our NEW first aid kit:
WaterJel- emerg. aid for burns
Eye wash
Cold packs
Hot packs
Non rebreather mask
Airway opener ( has a fancy name, but I can't spell it) and I should probably have hubby teach me how to use it.
Blood Stopper trauma dressing
Tons of sterile gauze and gauze rolls
Assorted liquids sterilizing agents, alcohol, beta-dine, peroxide
Sterile disposable scalpel
Sterile gloves
Then just the regular items, ie. band-aids, q-tips, insect sting swabs, etc.

Last edited:

Dave012

Personally I think we sent some pharmacists kid to college we have so much stuff in ours. It looks pretty much like your list with some extra's for sunburn, poison oak/ivy, scissors, tweezers, advil, tylenol and probably a few others. Because we have a three year old, some of the bandaids are scooby doo and Cars themed. Anything that makes it easier.

We purchased a tool bag (soft sided) which had lots of compartments and tool holders around the inside to keep it all organized. We just keep it in the bedroom closet.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
We just carry the run of the mill first aid kit with the basics , a tube of neosporin and a large bottle of Jack Daniels for snake bites. We seem to have more snake bites than cuts and burns for some strange reason....Kenny

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Good subject. Never can be too safe.

We have usual stuff, nothing to add to what already has been listed.
We have ours in the basement mounted on the wall. Easy access. In my mind, most accidents will happen outside (????) so it seemed to be the better place for us.

Like Alan, we never had to use it - yet. I hope that day will never come.

lmcclure

1st Tennessee Member#1084
As a retired Medical Administrator, and Surgical Assistant, I have a plastic tool box with everything from Bandages to Ointments. One of the best things that a person can do is take a CPR course, and a basic First Aid course. Both of these are available through The American Red Cross and if that is not available then talk to a nurse.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I've got a small plastic kit for small stuff. In the closet, I have an small EMT jump kit, complete with BP cuff and stethoscope. I've got it stocked to handle most minor emergencies. Did get to use it once a couple of years ago at the state park. Kid doing fast spins in the gravel near our site on his bike fell and stabbed himself with the hand brake handle. Pretty good gash in his thigh. I had the wound cleaned and dressed just as the park ranger got there. They told me later that his parents took him to the hospital and it took 7 stitches. I've got an EMT-B license, even though I don't run medicals.

porthole

Retired
I keep what I call a small "trauma kit" in the bin above the couch. "Trauma" only because it has a few battlefield type dressings in it.

Except when I needed it last week for a pooch with a bad cut on the pad. I quickly realized the kit was still at home and never made it to the trailer in our rush to get ready and leave.

Cling wrap is great, sticks to itself and nothing else. Realy handy when trying to wrap a paw.

iforget

New Jersey Chapter Leader-retired
Everyone should have a can of "Bag Balm". The miracle stuff in a green can. Ask any rancher or farmer. This stuff works on...caugh's-colds-sore holes-festis of the ding- boneria of the brass tubes. Really this stuff works great for burn's and cuts. Its nothing more that vasoline with campher in it. We buy it at the grocery store.
http://www.americanlivestock.com/p-46-bag-balm.aspx?gclid=CIS8-9C_vKECFR16gwodCET2_A

Bag Balm! Yes I use it and was told about it because of our Goldens and the Rescue work we do. However, unil now, it was not in our first aid bag but will be in there before we head out again!

iforget

New Jersey Chapter Leader-retired
Re: Where is your First Aid Kit? and what's in it? THANKS SAMATHA!

I keep what I call a small "trauma kit" in the bin above the couch. "Trauma" only because it has a few battlefield type dressings in it.

Except when I needed it last week for a pooch with a bad cut on the pad. I quickly realized the kit was still at home and never made it to the trailer in our rush to get ready and leave.

Cling wrap is great, sticks to itself and nothing else. Realy handy when trying to wrap a paw.

After we cleaned up the blood from Misty doing agility on the childrens' playset in NC, that is when we realized we had forgotten in our haste to pack that kit.
Our wonderful doggie/heartland friends were kind enough to provide us with some vet wrap.
Poor Misty girl though was a great trooiper and wouldnt let this interfere with her enjoyment of camping with her ll her friends.
We did wrap it up after cleaning , used the vet wrap and covered her foot with a baggie which normally she would have not tolerated.
Now we are home, healed, first aid ready and waiting for the NJ Rally!