Awning Falling Apart??

wagenman

Ok.. I just got my Sundance out of the barn for the year, and towed it home about 250 miles. When I got out to un-hitch it I noticed the awning was torn to shreads.. Now looking at it I would swear somthing caught it and ripped it.. but that is not the case here.. it was a open tow down I-75 here in Michigan.. so trees or any low overhang is not a issue.. I got the ladder out and took a closer look and to me it looks like the material is just rotten and tearing away from the wind...

Has anybody else had any issues like this or heard of any? Please help..

Here are some pictures to help explain the issue..

Attachments

• IMAG0065..jpg
    IMAG0065..jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 77
  • IMAG0059..jpg
    IMAG0059..jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 72
  • IMAG0067..jpg
    IMAG0067..jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 67
  • IMAG0064..jpg
    IMAG0064..jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 65
  • IMAG0058..jpg
    IMAG0058..jpg
    258 KB · Views: 60
  • IMAG0056..jpg
    IMAG0056..jpg
    245.4 KB · Views: 53

jnbhobe

Are you sure you didn't catch the barn door on the way out ? I did one like that a couple of years ago on a storage customers trailer. I had to replace the material, Not a hard job at all. I see your unit is an 09 so I sure doubt it rotted unless it was never cleaned and I doubt that too.

wagenman

I am sure it did not catch the door.. I even had a guy standing outside (and just happened to be on that side) as I was pulling it out.. and last year sometime about mid summer it was cleaned.. I know it looks like it caught something, but believe me when I say it did not... I have a hard time buying myself that the material is defective.. but I dont know what else to think.. And even worse yet.. I have to try and convince the dealership that is the case as well... I do not see this going very well for me at all...

2010augusta

could something have been stored in the barn leaning against the awning and cut into the fabric or tore it before you pulled it out today? I just can't see any other explanation than something catching and tearing the multiple layers of fabric to start the rips.

wagenman

I know it seems like something tore it.. but as far as i know.. nothing could have.. next to my camer in the barn was my mom's little car.. and next to that was their boat.. and thats all that was in the barn.. but not only that i did a pretty good once over before going down the road today.. and did not notive anything wrong... this all happened while driving..

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
wagenman, I know you don't want to hear this, but it looks like something damaged you awning. Something had to have happend to it, I can't imagine any reason a defect would show up in the same place in the two outer layers when it is rolled up.

Peace
Dave

jimtoo

Did you stop for fuel or anything to eat? And if you did was there another truck close to you? Maybe another truck got to close at the stop.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I'm sorry but I have the same opinion as the others. Something had to have bounced against that material to cause the damage. Even from the pictures, you can see it was torn. I have never, in all the years I've been Rving, seen an awning rot and tear as yours has. The seams are the first to go when an awning starts to rot. Another cause for rot would be leaves or debris sitting in a low spot along the awning tube for a very long time. It may be time to call your insurance company.

wagenman

Well it looks like my only answer is to make a claim.. if I saw this post from somebody else I would give the same advice as you all did.. but I did just have to make sure first that there was not a flaw in the fabric first, and it looks like that is clearly not the case..

But just to answer the last few questions.. there was no stops on the way home..it was a straight run.. looks like USAA will be getting some more of our deductible money..LOL