Disc Brakes on Bighorn?

huntram

Are Disc Brakes an option on the Bighorn? It seems that on some of the higher end units they are an option. It makes a difference to me.

Thanks,
Brian

jnbhobe

No they are not an option !! But you can take it to Mor-ryde in Elkhart ind they can install them for about $2800.00. I installed them myself on my Big Horn for about $1800.00. They are the cats meow !!

jbeletti

Heartland does not offer disk brakes as an option on any of our products. Some product owners have installed their own and others have has Mor/Ryde install them.

Jim

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
We are trying to get the MorRyde independent suspension installed while we are in Elkhart now but decided not to do the disk brakes. We know FOR A FACT that the electric brakes will stop our trailer. Twice we have accidentally pulled the emergency brake pin and it DOES stop that trailer. I am aware that the disk brakes are not as susceptible to heat fading, but I try to stay off the brakes when coming down mountains in Colorado.

Wharton

We ordered the larger brakes(3.75") fro Heartland. Many years ago we upgraded from 2" to 2.5" brakes and noticed a significant difference in braking. Figure we can't go wrong with the 3.75" brakes, lot less than getting disk brakes from Morryde though we are getting the IS suspension in the fall.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
We have the Mor/Ryde IS and Disk Brakes. I can tell you for sure that the disk brakes are something I will have on any trailer if we get another one. I like the IS because our trailer rides better. With the Ford the Command Control adjusts the amount of brake that is used. I have had no fade in my brakes and I have been up in the mountains around Glacier National park in Montana. 8% grade for about 3 miles. My disk brakes will stop both the trailer and the truck. The drum brakes never seemed to do more than to help slow down. I can tell that the trailer brakes are working especally when I have to get on the brakes due to some one pulling in front of us to exit the freeway.

Each to their own. This is just what I like.

BC

ihsolutions

Mor/Ryde quoted me $2300 (IIRC) for the disc conversion when I was contemplating it a couple months ago on my 2011 3670. Instead, I opted for the Heartland package of upgraded axles and 3.75" brakes. There is a big difference going to the 3.75". Not as good as disc I'm sure, but I can lock up the brakes way sooner than I want/need to, so there's plenty of braking power there. The heartland upgrade was considerably less expensive. Oh, and you get Never-Lube hubs, too.

Wharton

With our 2011 BH Heartland gave us Easy Lube hubs, a bit disappointed since we like the Never Lube hubs but we can live it the Easy Lubes................

jnbhobe

I would personally rather have the standard hubs or easy lube (because I can treat them as standard) rather than the never lube hubs. The bearings are way too close to each other on the never lube for me. When I was at Mor-ryde they had a whole pile of failed never-lube axels and hubs. When the bearing goes it takes the hub and axel with it. JON

dieselengineer

Charter Member
Yes, Disc brakes are the way to go. With the disc brakes, it is simple to check the condition of the grease seal since the hub is exposed on the back side. A quick look at all four hubs from each side before you start out for the day is real easy. Also, you can see each disc surface and if all wheels are braking and same.

lwmcguir

We ordered the larger brakes(3.75") fro Heartland. Many years ago we upgraded from 2" to 2.5" brakes and noticed a significant difference in braking. Figure we can't go wrong with the 3.75" brakes, lot less than getting disk brakes from Morryde though we are getting the IS suspension in the fall.

We have the 3.75 drums as well. The 2 inch drums would lock the wheels also so they are certainly fine if you are going to tow a few miles like most RV owners do. Just liked the extra axle size and the larger brakes came with the 8K axles. I think it is worth the difference to go from 7K to 8K considering everything is about 35-40% heavier.

huntram

Thank you everyone for your responses! I am seriously considering a Bighorn in about 1 1l2 years when I go full time. I really wish they would consider Disc brakes as an option. I would rather get them from the factory then adding them later.
Anyway, Now to decide for sure on the model.

Brian

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Thank you everyone for your responses! I am seriously considering a Bighorn in about 1 1l2 years when I go full time. I really wish they would consider Disc brakes as an option. I would rather get them from the factory then adding them later.

Brian

At this point disc brakes is not a factory option to my knowledge. Most of us that have DB have either gotten them from Mor-Ryde or put them on ourselves. For my money I had Mor-Ryde do it when we got the independent suspension (IS) system put on. Better them get their hands dirty than me LOL. IMHO disc brakes is the way to go.

huntram

Well here I am almost a year later with an update.

It was time to pull the trigger, however I went another way. I really liked the Bighorn, but I found a unit that had disk brakes as a factory option that I just liked better. The price was a little higher, but with all I got it really wasn't much.
I decided on a Carriage Cameo 32FWS. Perfect floorplan for us to fulltime in! We ordered it from the factory about a month ago.
Options included disk brakes, dual panes, fireplace, two fantastic fans, second air conditioner, upgraded Goodyear "G" tires, Blu -Ray, Wood look flooring in kitchen, Whole house water purifier, rear 2" hitch, Extra Sat prep to bedroom, 22" HD tv in bedroom and I'm sure I'm missing something. The Cameo comes standard with the Big Foot Auto leveling system.
I paid 57,585.00 so it is really not out of line with the Bighorn for what I got...

Again thank you all for your help. If the Bighorn would have had disk brakes, and they would have had a floorplan I would have liked as much, I would have easily gone that way.
Brian

Brian