Instruction needed on adjusting brakes on Bighorn

wyleyrabbit

According to the manual, "...brakes should be adjusted...at 3,000 mile intervals...".

Does anyone here adjust their own brakes? If so, is it a difficult job? Are there any special tools involved? Is this something an owner can easily do themselves or is this something that really needs to be done by the dealer?

Chris
2010-05-06_092829..jpg

Riverman

Hey Chris
You don't need to be a rocket scientist to do this..and although a brake adjusting tool makes the job easier, the brakes can be adjusted with a simple flat screwdriver.
That being said, I would not advise someone with little or no experience or understanding of these components to attempt this. The outcome could be disastrous
It should be quick, simple & inexpensive to have a qualified professional perform this operation for you.
JMO

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
I adjust mine myself because i don't trust most mechanics, some can get them too tight. I tighten mine till the wheel won't turn then back off 3-8 clicks, trying to get them adjust equally. If you know what your doing the job should take 30 minutes.

jnbhobe

I agree you don't need to be a rocket scientist to do this, just some common sence. Do it as the instructions say and you'll be all right. Make sure their all the same, I always had better luck using a flat and wide screw driver even thou I have many brake tools.

DXprowler

I just did mine the other day as the driver side was locking up very easily! I have experience doing this on cars in the shop in my younger days and since on previous trailers. What I do is hitch the trailer up to the truck, raise the legs about 6" off the ground and with a 6 Ton bottle jack work on each wheel 1 at a time. I put the bottle jack under the furthest U bolt as to not stress the axle. I found 2 wheels very tight, 1 on each side but I adjusted them all. I'll tighten till the brakes grab the wheel then loosen till the wheel spins freely. I take my time and it took me about 1 1/2 hrs to do. Easy to do once you get your system down and the hang of spinning the wheel inside the brake drum.