Curt Q5 20K Fifth Wheel Hitch

jwalker1

I just purchased a 2011 Cyclone 3950 HD and had to replace my Reese Hidden Hitch 16K with at least a 20K hitch. I purchased a Curt Q5 20K Fifth Wheel Hitch. However, when I look at it in the bed of my 2008 F350 Dually it doesn't look like it sits as high as the Rees did. I have it maxed as far as height goes. Am I going to be okay pulling my 2007 Fleetwood Prowler Regal (38'7") to the dealer to trade in on the new Cyclone. I am wondering about the height above the rails. Anyone else have this setup?:cool:

jimtoo

Hi Joe,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

The only way you will know is to hook up and see how much clearance you have between the bed and trailer and check the back of the pin box, if it is one that drops down a lot, for turn clearance also. If you have 5 or 6" and no dips or major humps to cross, I would think you should be OK if you watch all the turns. Where are you pulling to Boerne, SA, or Seguin? If you don't have enough clearance, let me know.

Let us know how it goes and enjoy the forum and your new toy.

(We are almost neighbors, George West, Tx here.)

Jim M

circusbear

It really must be an optical illusion because I had my Reese 16k hitch on the top holes and tried the Curt on the top setting. After hooking up I found that I had 11" of clearance. I dropped the hitch down to the next lower set of holes and still have about 9". I really like the Curt Q5. It is a bit diffrent to operate than the Reese but almost seems more safe in where you have to lock the pull bar into what position you need.I have a GM NBS and have plenty of room to spare over the rails.

jwalker1

Hi Jim,

Yes we are almost neighbors. I will be pulling it to Boerne next Wednesday (5/19/2010).

Joe

rboehlke

I do not have this setup, but I believe that all 5th wheels can have the Kingpin mount moved up or down as well. Your dealer should be able to do this at no cost since it all should have been leveled at the time of pickup.

buckeyebob

i have the curt 20k,and pull a sundance 30 ft 5er.tv is a 2500 cc chevy.i had to use highest setting for 7 inch clearence.i dont see how kingpin adj. will give more rail space without losing levelness of trailer.i dont have anything to compare with as this is my first 5th wheel.i think the curt is very easy to operate,and it was 800 installed.the downside is its made in CHINA!!!! buckeyebob

computeraces

GEAUX LSU TIGERS!!!
I work for a truck accessory shop that sells 5th wheel hitches, gooseneck hitches, etc... The Curt 20K hitch is a nice hitch. They stand behind their products. That particular hitch has a 10 year warranty - double the 5 year that Reese has.

gasman

Camp Socializer
I have the Curt 20k hitch in my 2008 F-350 dually. I pull a BC 2950 and have no problems at all. I have plenty of clearance over the rails. I believe it is set on the top holes. My hitch couples up the best when I set the trailer height so that the hitch lifts the pin box about a quarter inch.