Microwave Died.. What did you replace yours with??

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Well today we joined the rest of the crowd that lost the Apollo MW.

Ours is a model AAC24BIB.. I was just curious what you replaced yours with.

I like the idea of the convection cooking. Haven't use the half time so not sure about it..

I would like to get one very similar but one that will keep on truckin...

So what you say?

BC

wdk450

Replace or Repair?
I am a retired electronics technician. My Halftime oven had problems with the interior light always staying on and the turntable motor not working. I did not want to pay the shipping to the midwest to get it fixed, I did not want to mess with new mounting systems and bezels, and my wife liked the 1/2 time cooking feature.
Walmart.com has the regular version of these ovens for about $200, but they need the RV mods to be cooled adequately in the space Heartland mounts them in. The RV version of the oven is like the regular Apollo ovens except they add an external fan and exhaust shroud on top of the oven. The RV version is ONLY availible from Midwest Sales.
I got a diagnosis and estimate for free from a local microwave oven repair company, but their estimate ($200) seemed to high for what I knew had to be done. I took it home unrepaired, removed the covers, found the turntable motor underneath and removed it. I looked on the internet and found the motor on Amazon for about $10. The light problem was due to a microswitch that wasn't snapped securely into the switch holder assembly. I made a 15 amp to 20 amp adapter power cable so that I could test it at home. It worked fine. I reassembled it and re-installed it in the trailer. It has been working fine so far this trip.
If you have no power, there is a main fuse on the top inside the cabinet. You can get these at Radio Shack.

DISCLAIMER: There are high voltages and some possibility of microwave leakage with the outside cover removed. Don't attempt these repairs if you are not comfortable with this. Never work inside the cover with the electricity plugged in. Test run for short periods only with the covers/cooling fans off.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Thanks for the reply Bill
I have a question. The light comes on when you open the door. But none of the keypad works or is lit. Normally I can see the : blinking when we get setup. I then will key in the time from my cell phone. This fuse you spoke about is it in the cabinet opening or on the microwave?

I will make a close inspection of it tomorrow.

I am having trouble finding another MW that will fit with in the 21" width. Most I have found are 25" or larger.. The opening is 21 3/4" X 16 3/4"...
If anyone has any suggestions please jump in.

BC

wdk450

BC
It sounds like your main circuit board is inoperative. There may be a seperate fuse for the circuit board. My unit has a schematic diagram inside the main cover.
It does not sound like the main fuse, since your light comes on. This fuse is inside the cover on the top right (as viewed from the front).
The mounting hassles are: the cutout and bezel size; and mainly the plastic main bottom mounts that are sized to the foot spacing on the microwave. The feet sit in the matching holes, which with the unit's weight and the front bezel, securely mount the oven.

Good luck!

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Well I pulled the Apollo Microwave out. Took it apart and checked the fuse. It was good. Thanks Bill. A friend and I messed around with it and could not get it to work. SOooooo.. Bought a new regular microwave. It doesn't have the convection or half/time but you would be suprised how often you use the microwave once you don't have one. LOL...

I am posting some pictures for those that are intrested. I found how to replace the bulb for the interior and where the fuse is located exactly where Bill indicated above..

Hope this will help anyone else that has to replace or repair their microwave.

I don't have the new one installed so no photos of it but will add later..

BC

DSC_0782 [800x600]..JPGDSC_0783 [800x600]..JPGDSC_0784 [800x600]..JPG

DSC_0781 [800x600]..JPGDSC_0789 [800x600]..JPGDSC_0787 [800x600]..JPG

DSC_0788 [800x600]..JPGDSC_0786 [800x600]..JPGDSC_0790 [800x600]..JPG