Browsing thru Older Posts

GaryB

Hi - maybe I'm missing something, but when I browse through posts, I only seem to see posts from the last month or two. I'm guessing the older posts are archived somewhere. Is there a way to browse through these older posts without having to search for specific keywords/phrases?

Thanks
Gary

jbeletti

Hi Gary,

Nothing is archived - it should all be viewable. Look at the bottom right side of a thread to see if there are more pages of threads to view. Also, PM me the URL to a thread that you cannot see the older posts. In that PM, tell me the last post number that you see. I'll look into it. Thanks,

Jim

GaryB

Thanks Jim!

Thanks Jim! Maybe those categories didn't have any older posts in that case, or else I missed the page numbers at the bottom. Glad to know I can browse through all threads that were posted since Day 1 on this forum.

Gary

merlinb

Retired
Gary (and Jim),
When you open a "forum" and you see the list of threads in that forum, if you will scroll down to the bottom of the page you will see a block titled "Display Options." On the line that says, "From The", click on the drop-down list and go to the bottom and select "Beginning." Then move your pointer to the right and click on "Show Threads." You will then be able to see all of the threads that have ever been created in that forum and, as Jim said, there may be more than one page. Once you have made this change it seems to apply to all additional forums that you open during your current session. The forum default for this parameter seems to be, "Last Month." You can change it permanently for your own profile by going to "User CP" and clicking on "Edit Options" and going about halfway down the page to the window titled, "Thread Display Options." At the bottom of the window you can change the "Default Thread Age Cutoff" to whatever you prefer.

Hope this helps.

GaryB

Thanks Merlin

Great information! I did exactly what you said and changed the "Default Thread Age Cutoff" from "Forum default" to "Show All Threads". In some forums, I can now see posts all the way back thru early 2005. However, for instance in the "Heartland General Forum", the threads only go back until 5-30-06 (while on the last page of the threads). Is this because this particular forum is very new, or is there still something wrong? Maybe you can look at yours and see if the 5-30-06 post is the earliest you can see also.

Thanks again
Gary

Last edited:

merlinb

Retired
Hi Gary,
I looked at the "Heartland General Forum" and, like you, the earliest thread I can see is dated 05-30-2006. There are other forums that go back much earlier than that. For example, the earliest thread in the "Welcome Forum" is dated 12-27-2004. I know that Jim has made some modifications and re-arrangements of the forums from time to time so, perhaps this particular iteration of the "Heartland General Forum" was added or renewed or reorganized at around that time. Jim can address that issue much better than I can. Anyway, just to confirm, I am seeing the same thing you did so you must be seeing everything that's available to be seen. Glad to be of some help.

jbeletti

The General forum was added by me at a later date to be used sort of as a catch-all place for items where a forum section does not exist.

Jim