Anyone install a washer and dryer?

Peteyx

We will be taking delivery of our 2011 Elkridge 34QRSL in a couple weeks. We have been told it has laundry prep. Can we install a washer and a dryer? Has anyone installed a propane dryer?

jimtoo

Re: Anyone instal a washer and dryer?

Hi Peteyx,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I'm sure that someone that has installed a washer and dryer will jump in and give you some ideas soon.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

Rickhansen

Some folks install stackables, most have all-in-one units. None are propane fired to my knowledge. We have a Splendide XC2100. It runs on 110vac.

RollingHome

We've been told that most of the RV washers & dryers only do a couple of pairs af jeans and are basically useless compared to a coin operated local public laundry. Is this true or what ? Any full timers or others have something different to add ? Thanks.

2010augusta

Depending on your trailer model you may only be able to use a combo unit.

The Landmarks do have room for the stackable units, We have the Splendid stack and love them. They are not able to hold the big loads, but if you do a load every couple days and stay on top of the laundry then they work just fine.

ralphpam

We have the Splendide 2100 all in one unit and wouldn't be without it. We have been full time for 9 years and have always had a washer/dryer. The Splendide 2100 holds twice as much as the first one we had. Make sure it is a vented unit. You will pay for it in a short time with the cost of washer/dryers in the parks. We just do a load in the evening as needed while we relax and watch TV!

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist

Installed a separate washer and dryer in a 3055RL. Can wash and dry at the same time.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Have had a pair of Whirlpool stackables for four years...would not be without them! I do approximately 3 loads a week, and I'd say my units can hold about 2/3 of what a full size unit can. I sometimes split the washed load in half for drying, helps eliminate wrinkles.

If you have room go with stackables...

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We have Majestic stackables in our Landmark and use them all of the time. In the 5 months we were at MD Anderson Cancer Hospital (RV PARK close by) they were used all of the time. We never use outside washers. Remember when using a Laudramat (Washateria) you never know who put what in the washer or dyer before you or how clean it device is or how hot or sanitary the water is. We prefer using our own. In our previous 5er we had a Spendide combo. It worked great but we could not wash and dry at the same time. We prefer the stackables and the Majestic works just great.

caissiel

We have a Splendide 2100 for the past 5 years. Have never used anything else since. The pay back has been done after the first 2 years.

We bought our trailer because of the convenience of the W/D layout.

Make sure you get the vented model and vent it outside because the drying time is much better and the water consumption is reduced greatly.

If you have bigger loads, the drying from splendide units is so dry that on a sunny day we just have to lay the big sheets out for a little while to air dry them.

Splendide models are the only models that spins at 1200RPM. this makes drying mush better.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
We had the Splendide 2100 combo installed in ours. It does a very good job on medium sized loads of T-shirts, undies, socks, etc. I can probably get a week's worth of my stuff in there. Bed sheets, can do a full set if you don't mind the wrinkles. Can't say they bother me once you make up the bed. Heavy towels, you can't stuff it full and expect them to dry quickly. As for using the laundromat. I've got better things to do than hang out there, pumping quarters.

porthole

Retired
I ordered the vented combo unit with the trailer and very happy with it.

If you work within the limitations of the machine it is fine.

I have learned that liquid fabric softener is recommend and useful for allowing the clothes to "fall off" the drum after that 1200 rpm spin.

Also found out the the best way to do wash is to wash and then pull the clothes out, shake them out and then dry, cuts down on the wrinkles. Some say they take a long time to dry and don't get as hot. i don't know about that, I pull stuff out right after drying and the clothes are hot.

It is really useful for throwing wet towels in after a shower.

I installed the Splendide 2100, two years ago, and love it. We can fill it pretty full and it gets the cloths clean. We don't worry about drying because I made my wife a 40 inch square cloths rack to hang on the ladder. She loves it.

Peteyx

I installed the Splendide 2100, two years ago, and love it. We can fill it pretty full and it gets the cloths clean. We don't worry about drying because I made my wife a 40 inch square cloths rack to hang on the ladder. She loves it.

Jim, that sounds like a great idea. Just don't drive off with it attached. Could you post a picture of your rack?
thanks

RollingHome

OK, folks, got another wierd question for ya. Patti and I camp in a CG that only has electric, no water or sewer. If you know (and I'd be surprised if you do) do you know HOW much water we would use in one wash cycle ? We camp for 2 weeks and have to empty/fill our tanks once in the 2 weeks. In that time we usually do one trip to the public laundramat and I have to admit, it's NOT the highlight of our stay... I will spend the extra $ IF it is worth it... any feedback ? In advance, Thanks. Tom

porthole

Retired
OK, folks, got another wierd question for ya. Patti and I camp in a CG that only has electric, no water or sewer. If you know (and I'd be surprised if you do) do you know HOW much water we would use in one wash cycle ? We camp for 2 weeks and have to empty/fill our tanks once in the 2 weeks. In that time we usually do one trip to the public laundramat and I have to admit, it's NOT the highlight of our stay... I will spend the extra $ IF it is worth it... any feedback ? In advance, Thanks. Tom

7-16 gallons, depending on the load.

When at the service center for 9 days and no hook up I used the unit twice. For that I kept both grey tanks open and had a valve on the dump outlet.

http://www.splendide.com/compare_specs.htm