Our saga

Lilywhite

We received some bad news this week, our lovely Land Yacht (2009 BH 3055 RL) was broken into while at the dealership having some warranty work done while in "secured" storage.:rolleyes:

The thief took the large TV and were unsuccessful in taking the small TV from the BR (they stripped the screws). They also took a variety of other things that our insurance will hopefully replace. Other than that, they damaged the front door lock (used a crowbar on the door handle), and tried to get into the bathroom vanity while the slide was in and the hinges were destroyed. One of the dresser drawers was damaged as well.

The thief was also very thorough in his search for the other things for the TV. He looked through everything and found the remote, the manual, and even the yellow-red-white cable for it, and helped himself to a package of AA batteries. The dealer says that a cop told him that stolen TVs are easier to sell if the original remote control and manual are with it.

Considering that the damage could have been far more extensive, we got off fairly easy. We had planned to go camping this weekend but that will have to be delayed until things are fixed. According to the dealership, they are going to try and get it completed before this coming Friday (fingers crossed).

Jody

GETnBYE

Jody, So sorry that this happened to you.
I would assume that the dealership's insurance should have to cover the damages, you may be looking at an increase in your premiums and also a deductible to pay according to your coverage.
Good luck,
Nita

Lilywhite

Unfortunately, it seems that we'll have to cover our losses with our insurance and also pay our $250 deductible.

BruteForce

Unfortunately, it seems that we'll have to cover our losses with our insurance and also pay our $250 deductible.

Sorry to read this. I've always wondered if the signs at the Dealer (NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THEFT OR DAMAGE) is enforceable in court. Seems to me that when my vehicles/5'er are at the dealer, they should guarantee that it will be safe. Instead though, this push that disclaimer in your face.

kkamshop

Sorry for your misfortune, we had the same thing happen to us last year - both TVs stolen (w/o remotes) while the unit was at the dealership.

Our insurance paid, but said they would seek a claim against the shop's insurance. We do not know if this ever happened, but we will not leave the televisions in the unit again if we have to leave it at the shop. And we'll put a note on the door to save the thieves some trouble... :)

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
It seems to me, as a retired cop, that the dealer has some degree of responsibility here. They were in care, custody and control of your property. Is there a history of break-ins at this dealership? In this geographical area of the city? If they were negligent in their security, they are responsible.

I would keep an eagle eye out at the local pawn shops, but you will need some way to identify your television and other property. Thats the reason they took the remote and manual for the TV, to make it look more like their own property. Without a serial number or some other way to positively identify your property, you may have a hard time recovering it. After all, all the (pick your brand) of TV's all look alike. It might give the Police a good lead on someone to look at if you can find one like yours but you still may not get it back.

Good luck.