How do I equip my 2011 Sundance for dry camping?

I plan to travel to Alaska in 2011 in my 2011 Sundance 5th wheel (3 slide-outs, 32 ft. 9" long). The couple I am traveling with like to occasionally dry camp. Can I equip my RV for dry camping? What do I need to get? I assume I need extra batteries and a generator but don't know how many or who would hook everything up. Would a dealer do this or do I need to go to a place like Camping World?

Thank you,

Lisa

jbeletti

Hi Lisa,

I have moved your thread out of the Ask the Factory area as it's best answered by RVers.

So, you get good feedback here. I do have a couple of ideas for you.

- Add a second battery and if you can, make both the 6 volt golf cart type (ie Trojan T105 or similar)
- if you will need to use an air conditioner, then consider a 3500 watt portable generator
- If you do not need the air conditioner but want to make coffee, watch TV, charge the laptop, consider an inverter
- If you feel you'll enjoy and do a lot of dry camping, investigate and consider a solar system on combination with an inverter and 2, 4 or 6 batteries

Jim

Netem

I just returned from a two week hunting trip all dry camping and what I take is generator, water jugs to bring water to trailer,gas can for gen. and I put two Marine batt. in trailer. I leave gen in back of the truck and park beside camper so I can run the power cord from camper to gen in truck. You should be able to put the batt. in yourself not that hard. The size of gen depends on what you want to run while dry camping. Hope this helps.

SmokeyBare

Dry camping is more than equipment, it's frugal use of water, propane and battery power as well. When we are boon-docking it's our goal to make our fresh water last as long as possible. This requires a slight change in our usage. We reduce our dish water usage, not filling the sink as full as we would when we're connected to a endless supply of water.

Keep in mind, all that flows down the drains ended up filling the holding tanks. How often do you normally dump your tanks when hooked up to a sewer? Dry camping locations don't always have a dump station close by. If the locations you hope to camp at does have a dump station... consider a portable tank to haul the waste water.

Boon-dock camping does make many more choices of locations to go... Do research on the subject the Internet is full of information.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Although we do not dry camp we have read about many who do. You could consider solar panels and an INVERTER which will change your 12 volt DC to 110 volt AC. You will already have a CONVERTER to charge the battery. There are many posts on the FORUM about adding batteries and solar panels. Do a search for those topics. If you have never dry camped before and have the ability to do so try spending the weekend in the rig in your driveway without being "plugged in". You might be surprised how quick the water an electricity get used up.

D

Dave Willis

You should be able to get with your local dealer for of your camping needs. If they can't help you then Camping World would be a good place to go.

Thanks,

Tentun

re: portable generator power: It was a tough choice between one larger wattage vs two smaller ones that could be in parallel for larger power needs. We have never regretted the purchase. Mostly we only use one. They are so quiet and run at least 12 hours on a gallon of fuel. They are easy to carry (there is a 2w cart now at CW) and fit inside the bed of a pick-up or in many storage bays. They pull-start very easy. They have a hook-up for battery charging too. It's all we've ever needed. Best of luck.

2010 XLT 297 RE
2010 Tundra DC 2WD 5.7
2 Schnauzer burgler protection system

hart1369

Although we do not dry camp we have read about many who do. You could consider solar panels and an INVERTER which will change your 12 volt DC to 110 volt AC. You will already have a CONVERTER to charge the battery. There are many posts on the FORUM about adding batteries and solar panels. Do a search for those topics. If you have never dry camped before and have the ability to do so try spending the weekend in the rig in your driveway without being "plugged in". You might be surprised how quick the water an electricity get used up.
jim is right on i dry camped with a motorhome for 4yrs . learning b4 hand will help a great deal . 2 small gens would b my advice so you can use only the electric that you need hondas are real quite. the diesel ones are also quite believe that

Northern Virginia
I would recommend a single generator. IMHO, it seems crazy to buy two gensets when one sized right would do the job. To get a quiet genset you'll have to spend more money but it's the only way to go. If you can leave it in the truck bed you won't have to worry about lifting it. You can usually find good deals on Craigslist on the Honda Inverter type. Based on our dry camping in the National Forest, I would get at a minimum 3500 watts. 5500 watts would give you all the power you'll need. I supplement with a 2500 watt inverter and two 6v batteries. That's the best of both worlds.