NJ Does it again

Jim & Harriet

how are RV's taxed in your state? here in Virginia we pay "personal property tax" for cars, trucks
and RV's. the rate is much higher than the "real estate" tax here. but I believe, for the IRS, that
the federal gov't. allows an RV to be considered as a "2nd home." i wish VA would tax our RV as
"real" property rather than "personal" property. what we pay in taxes for our truck + RV ... I hate
to look at the bills when they come. :-(

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
You need to move to Prince William County. RV's (and Boats) are exempt from Personal Property Taxes here (still have to pay "full value" on the truck though). Saves me several hundred dollars a year, and still get a deduction for the interest on the loan.

Jim & Harriet

hummmm... I did not think about this as a "Roanoke County" specific issue. I may have to approach the county board members about this. our real estate taxes are quite low, it might balance-out, but I still like the "exempt" approach.

DW_Gray

It's all about control; more government control to interfere with our lives.

On the other-hand you could become a full timer like me and change your address to Florida. That saved me a bundle over California rates. And if your a 100% disabled veteran you pay no property tax.

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
We currently are not taxed annually for RV's. We pay 7% sales tax upon purchase and annual registration fees around $135.00 a year.

But thanks for bringing it up and if the Governor reads this we will pay! This guy doesn't miss a trick!

Jim & Harriet

Government...taxes...ugggghhhhh #%$#!
We have wondered about how to avoid all of that and still have vehicles registered and insured here in Virginia. We still have a stick house that we need to keep (at least for a few more years.) But it would be interesting to hear more about the "RV friendly" states or counties...
When my parents retired they lived in Florida (Margate) for 20 years and I know it was / is a tax-friendly state. Quite a change from Massachusetts where they had lived!