Landmark vs BigHorn

jhayes

I have been informed that the cabintery & frame material are one of the same between the 2 products. I'm aware that the LM has options that aren't available on the BH. My question is when all said and done, is the extra $$$ worth it? We will be using the RV everyother weekend on short trips and about 4 long trips a year.

Another concern that I have is the resale value of each unit. My thinking is the more the unit cost, the harder it'll be to sell on the backend. Do current LM owner find this to be the case?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

boatdoc

We have some very good freinds that have pondered this very subject for over 8 months and have now concluded that the BigHorn is much more bang for the buck. They were drawn between the Grand Canyon and the 3585 and have made the choice of the 3585 and will be ordered shortly.

2010augusta

A lot depends ons the exact options and needs you have. When we order our Landmark in 2008 the BH did not have the option of hyd landing gear, which was a "want" for us. We also use the trailer fulltime and wanted a stackable washer and dryer, and at the time only a combo unit could be used in the BH. We did not know what climates we would end up traveling to and living in so the 2x40# LPG tanks were a good feature, as were the mirrored dual-pane windows. It is a bunch of small things, but we thought the Landmark was a better “value” for us.

After doing some online shopping my wife found a dealer in Indiana that would sell us a Landmark cheaper than we could buy a BH in Colorado. We felt that the upgrades in the Landmark more than justify to actual cost deference.

We did not consider re-sale because we plan on keeping this trailer for many years, and buy the time we do sell it the resale values would deprecate to the point that there would be little difference between the two.

RollingHome

jhayes, This is just my opinion. Both the LM & BH really are luxury 5th wheels like HL claims. Any high ticket RV is going to cost more depending on options. You/I take a bath when they are traded in, I would not let resale value be a deal breaker. So, it may be wise to get the unit you want, take care of it and keep it a longer period of time then a middle of the road RV. The LM has more eye candy and little things to make life more enjoyable. This is important to folks who use their RV's fulltime or moretime. If you plan on taking short trips every other weekend year round, you may want to consider the LM. That being said, Do ya think you could rough it without dual pane windows or track lighting for those short trips or 40 long trips in 10 years ? If money is no object, go with the LM, besides having more ginger bread, they have greater status appeal. Both units are good and I believe you would be happy with either one, it's just a matter of your personal taste and how much you want to spend. The quality is equal in both model lines and for the most part both model lines use the same components. It's just the extra niceties that make the LM appeal to some folks more. We are not full time and probably never will be. Like you I take several trips a year, some short some long. In Nov. 2009 we picked up our 2011 BH. We will have different problems pop up down the road... that's just part of RVing. Most of the problems will come from components made by sub-manufacturers that supply components to HL (drawer slides, light fixtures, tires, etc.). I would also have these same problems with ALL/ANY RV purchased from any RV maker... that's just the way it is. My suggestion is buy local and develop a relationship with the dealer, the dealer just may save your bacon when a "unique" problem crops up. Remember, all this is my opinion. Tom

jhayes

Tom & Patti,

Money is an object but both units doable. I just sold my Keystone Outback 26RS TT which isn't close to quality as the LM or BH. I'm looking to get the dual pane windows because our previous unit bedroom was a slide and I was against the windows and was always cold. Local dealers in KC metro area aren't price friendly so I'll be purchasing a unit from another state.

Hopefully if I can get either unit at a good price, the bath that I take will be minimal. I will be sending out bids very soon once I can determine which unit would best for my family.

My plan is to own the unit for the next 5-6 years and then full time in a Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' but I have to get the kids through college first.

Thanks for the input and keep them coming.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I agree with 2010Augusta. We love our Landmark but our first 5er was an Alfa Gold (their top of the line). We traded that in after 5 years of use and got a great allowance. We are not fulltimers but ANYTIMERS as we go when we want an stay as long as we want since we are both retired. I can tell you both the Landmark and Big Horn are great values but there were some things we wanted such as the soft touch ceiling that are not available in the Big Horn. When shopping around you can dealers that will sell you a Landmark for the same money as a Big Horn. Since there is a higher demand for the Big Horn some dealers don't want to deal that much on them. We got a much better deal on our Landmark than we could on a Big Horn when we bought.

netters1

jhayes, we have a 2010 Landmark Augusta and we love it. We special ordered it from Chetopa RV in Chetopa, KS and we have been treated exceptionally well by our dealer. He gave us a very fair price and has went over and beyond to make any small issues we have had right. If you are thinking about going with a Landmark, Daryl at Chetopa will definately treat you right.

wdk450

I would say think about the basic options when deciding which line to buy. If you get a cheaper Bighorn you will have some differential savings to spend on upgraded pin box, upgraded suspension. The Landmark comes with the better tires, and hydraulic landing gear standard that you would want to upgrade a Bighorn to. More options apply (double pane windows, etc.) that depend on how/where you will use the rig, etc. Do your research, get options sheets on both models from your dealers.

hogan

Past Mississippi Chapter Leader (Founding)
We had about settled on the 2011 3670, then we find a LM Cape Cod "New" 09 model that is attractive pricewise. What changes and updates from 09 to present did Landmark and Big Horn do?

lwmcguir

Some of the items we wanted were:

More fresh water storage
Dual Battery box
Fluorescent lighting
Individual slide controls
Hydraulic landing gear
Cherry Wood (all of our previous and current had Oak)
Soft touch ceiling
Wood trimmed windows
Power Cord reel
Large propane bottles
Water fall counter trim
Battery Disconnect switch
Power rear jacks
High gloss panels on the sides
Mirror tinted windows
SS appliances
One piece shower
Samsung TV/ true surround sound

They were all standard on the Landmark
I know some of these are now on the Big Horns as well

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
This is exactly where My wife and I are at. Time to buy the 5er. Just bought the new truck and now its that time. Really looking at the BH 3610RE but also like the LM. Oh which one to go with. We will start our research now. Got the RV dealer in Knoxville's info off of here and will start looking around. What was the dealer in Indiana that was mentioned? The one that we want will need to be ordered so I dont think it really matter where we get it. Any help will be appreaciated. Thanks!

Wharton

Many of the LM std. items can be had on the BH or are already on the BH. The options on the BH are not limited to what is on the master list, many of the LM std. can be added to the BH. Ask your dealer to check with heartland.

Another good dealer is Chesapeake RV Solution in Chesapeake, VA.. Good dealer. Good prices,did a great PDI, we have had no problems after 2 months on the road.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
One item that I really like about the LM vs. the BH that is going away is the soft touch ceiling.
Jim B. said the San Antinio that was at the CA show had the hard board ceiling in it. I can't remember if he said if it would be an option in the future or not.

ChopperBill

Bighorns recessed halogen lights are first class! (would like rheostat switches like the Jaycos) Soft touch ceilings? Put them in the same class as carpeted ceilings. Never have seen living quarters with either, hows come they put 'em a trailer? Cant imagine if one got damaged and how to repair it. I LUVS the HORN!

2010augusta

One item that I really like about the LM vs. the BH that is going away is the soft touch ceiling.
Jim B. said the San Antinio that was at the CA show had the hard board ceiling in it. I can't remember if he said if it would be an option in the future or not.

WHAT!?!, I thought HL and the Forum members want to see MORE distinction between the BH & LM lines, Soon the only difference will be the models names. Back in 2008 when we were ordering our Augusta, we had a discussion between the 3670RL and the Augusta and it was EASY to see the differences. and the LM was clearly better for us, and the differences were worth the cost.

Over the past two year the gap between the two has gotten much smaller and no with the 2012 details slowly coming out it is even less. So far what I have seen with the 2012 the kitchen appliance will be the same, the standard outside finishes will be the same. now if the ceiling are the same, what is left to be different besides the available options?