Awning retraction

robnmo

I've searched threads but haven't has much luck, I'm kind of curious if there is a way to manually retract the electric awning if the motor were to go bad? (other than a nearby tree at 15 mph) ;)

jbeletti

Rob,

Here's a tip to searching the forum: Use the Google search under Advanced Search in the upper right of the forum page. I searched for Manual Retract Awning. Here are my search results. In the first search result, under post 19 by mrcomer, I found a Dometic A&E awning manual and in it, the process is described. I posted the manual here on HOM.

I am also inserting a screen capture of the page of that manual the tells how to bring the electric awning in manually.

I have to confess, I have this long strap in my RV. I think it was in the blue owners manuals bag that came with the RV. Honestly, I never knew what it was or was for. Good to know. Thanks Rob!

AcrobatScreenSnap&#.jpg

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
What the guide does not tell you is that the lucky person that has to remove the screw will be standing on a ladder. Be very careful and make sure the assistant has a firm grip on the strap. Fortunately, when mine died, it was retracted and would not extend.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
:( I didn't get a strap in my new Big Country! I did get the "blue bag" with all the manuals though!

JohnDar

I didn't get one either, but have an extra I kept from our TT (came with the manual awning I had to replace the original with). Amazing how fragile that aluminum tube can be when the awning fills with water. Long story.

robnmo

Same here, we checked after seeing this..........no strap in our blue bag of tricks. Got tons of straps & such laying around the garage though, I'll find something.

DickO

I did NOT receive a strap with our 2010 BH. After reading these postings, I was rather curious about retracting the awning. At the suggestion of Jim Beletti, I called and talked to Joe at Customer Service and he said the awning had to be manually rolled up. This is NOT what the manual says. SO has anyone ever had to put their awning up manually? If so do I need to purchase a strap just in case?

Thanks Dick O

JohnDar

If you have an electric awning and the motor quits while it's extended, the only way to get it rolled up is manually. And for that you will need an awning strap that attaches into the groove in the awning roller, a reliable helper, a ladder, a screwdriver, and a working cell phone in case your helper is not so reliable (to call 911 for an ambulance). The awning strap is the same one that is used for manual awnings, so it's not some special order accessory. Per the operating instructions, while someone holds the awning extended with the strap, victim #2 gets on a ladder and removes the spring retaining screw near the motor. When the screw is removed, the awning will want to roll up. If the assistant is daydreaming, victim #2 may get smacked over the top of the rig if he's not careful. Once it's rolled up, reinsert the screw to prevent the awning from unrolling as you drive to the repair shop. Depending on where you are, you may be able to get a mobile tech to fix it, but make sure Dometic is onboard with it. Their website or 1-800 # can give you a list of techs in your area.

The .pdf for the instructions can be found in the Tools tab, under Heartland Owners Manuals. Go to Exterior and then Awning. Open up the Dometic A&E file and it will provide the information you need.

And if I hadn't zipped past it, I would have seen that Jim B put the instructions in his post....DUH!

olcoon

While we are on the subject of awnings, pardon me while I go off subject. We are new to this lifestyle, and recently bought our 1st RV. Got a whole 2 trips under our belt! DW wanted to get some party lights, so we bought some. Then some friends gave us a set as a "rolling condo" house warming gift. I bought the hangers that Wally World sells. We've got the electric awning, and when I was looking at it to see how to hook the lights on, it looks like I'm going to have to take the end cap off to do it. According to the paperwork on the awning, it seems like there is a spring assembly in there, like to manually retract the awning. If I go ahead and install the plastic hangers (there are "S" hooks to attach to the plastic hangers), will I have to remove the hangers everytime we roll up the awning? It seems like if I leave the hangers on the awning it could create holes in the awning. It would be a PITA to take the awning apart everytime we wanted to use the party lights. I was wondering about leaving the hangers on the awning, and just removing the "S" hooks.

jnbhobe

Look at the other end of the awning, one of the slots should have an opening to slide the hanger into. On mine the open one is on the back end of the awning. What ever you do don't try to release the spring if you don't know what your doing, Its easy to get hurt.

olcoon

Thanks jnphobe,
I knew there was another reason I didn't open the end cap other than not having the intestinal fortitude to venture into uncharted waters!

JohnDar

I've managed to persuade the wife not to put lights on the electric awning. A) it's too high to reach without a ladder, B) if I need to retract it quickly, I need to get out the ladder, and C) the ladder is too heavy for her to handle alone. On our TT, we used the fabric strips set into the roller to then hook the lights to. That was simple since I could lower it to where even she had to duck under it. And I could tie it down to resist all but heavy winds. Can't do that with an electric on a 5'er.

porthole

Retired
My trailer came with instructions and jumper cables to use to retract the awning if power to the awning is an issue, but not an awning electrical problem.

After first reading about this last week I went to CW, only thing they had in stock was the awning pull rod, no straps. But there were 2 blank spaces on the wall, so it must be a stock item.

Last edited:

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Duane, you should be able to make one pretty easily. Any nylon starp material would do. Roll one end around a cord like that used for pillow edges and securily sew in place - this will be the end that slides into the groove in the awning - then, make a loop for holding onto on the other end. I would guess mine is about 10 feet long altogether.

JohnDar

My trailer came with instructions and jumper cables to use to retract the awning if power to the awning is an issue, but not and awning electrical problem.

After first reading about this last week I went to CW, only thing they had in stock was the awning pull rod, no straps. But there were 2 blank spaces on the wall, so it must be a stock item.

With the height of the rolled up awning, having that pull rod might be a good idea, as well. Assistant #1 will probably not be tall enough to hold onto the strap all the way as it rolls up and into the awning. I keep one in the basement. Comes in handy for flexing the slide seals out.

tomjanej

Geez, I've been feeling sorry for myself not having the 'automatic' awning. The Jayco we were looking at had it and I loved the idea. Not so much now ! Guess I'll be happy with
my Sundance and the manual awning.

porthole

Retired
What don't you like Jon? Hate is pretty strong. Although I liked the range of adjustment on my old manual awning, it sure is nice have the push button convenience of the electric model.