Wheel bearing seals

jimpav

Just curious, since we all have to do this maintenance on our trailers each year, how many folks put any lubricant around the outer edge of the grease seals when pressing them into the hub?
I put a light coat of wheel bearing grease on the outer edge just to help them go into the hub easier. I wonder if that might compromise the fit/seal eventually? :confused:

SmokeyBare

I've done this as well with no problems ever. I've even used a product called Anti Seize. Anything to help move the seal home. I feel most grease leaks onto the brake lining is caused by applying too much grease through the Zerk fitting. There are also lower quality seals out there, be sure to find a good seal. When I re-packed the bearings I had a plastic PVC fitting that matched the diameter of the seal. I used the PVC fitting to help drive the seal into the Hub... that way I prevented getting hammer marks on the seal and allowed the seal to seat straight and true into the hub..

lwmcguir

Best way is to use the same recommended grease that your hub/bearings use. Apply a thin layer and you should be good. Wipe any excess off the back side. Use a seal driver or improvise like the last poster. Very important to drive the seal straight so you don't compromise the seal. Avoid any product that contain metals to use as a lubricant.

boatdoc

Anybody have a part number on the grease seals? 7K hubs off a 3670. Would like to have them before I start the repack.
Thanks

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Anybody have a part number on the grease seals? 7K hubs off a 3670. Would like to have them before I start the repack.
Thanks
The number for CR seals is CR22558. This is the seal for a 6K spindle but I think it's the same for 7K.