Beef and Noodles (crock-pot recipe) by John Bird - Ohio

jbeletti

Beef and Noodles

INGREDIENTS

• 2 to 3 pounds beef chuck roast, cut into bite-sized pieces (okay to use beef stew meat if you are short on prep-time)
  • 2 32-ounce containers of Swanson beef broth (I use low sodium style)
  • 2 ounces (half bottle) Kitchen Bouquet
  • 2 to 3 medium onions, diced
  • Flour for coating beef
  • Oil for browning beef
  • Salt and pepper (to taste)
  • Bag for tossing meat to coat with flour
  • 1 pound dry noodles of your choice
STEPS

1. Saute onions with small amount of oil in skillet until they begin to turn soft, then remove onions to crock-pot
  2. Add beef broth to crock-pot
  3. Add beef, flour, salt and pepper to bag, seal bag with air in in and shake to coat meat with seasoned flour
  4. Heat additional oil in skillet, add coated meat and brown on all sides, then remove meat to crock-pot
  5. Add Kitchen Bouquet to crock-pot, mix all ingredients gently
  6. Cover crock-pot and cook on medium for 6 to 8 hours
  7. One hour before serving, add dry noodles on top of meat, do not stir, cover and cook on high for about 1 hour until noodles are cooked
  8. Stir and serve

Recipe by John Bird. I had this dish at the 2009 OH rally - yumo! I "missed it (dang it!) at the 2010 Eastern Regional Rally - doh!

Last edited:

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
I too had as much as I could sneak at the Ohio Rally 2009. John and Myrna did an awesome job bringing us this dish. And on a side note I now know what Kitchen Bouquet is now. I really thought John was trying to trick me. Thanks John, it was pretty funny. Very good dish and I hope we get to try it again this year.

RollingHome

Jim, I not to swift in the kitchen (I'm just now learning at 58 YO) so bare with me... I like crock pot cooking and I want to surprise Patti some evening when she comes home from work. Steps: #3 "coat meat (I'll use chicken or turkey) with seasoned flour", What is the flour seasoned with, just salt & pepper ? This recipe sounds simple enough for me to handle so I'd like to try it... Any of you other folks have simple beginner recipes, shoot em my way, thanks. I've made a couple of dinners so far and I surprised myself... they were actually edible and good - nobody died :) Tom

jbeletti

Tom, yes, seasoned with salt and pepper to your own taste.

Leno, yeah, oops! Copied another recipe as a template. You made me laugh though.

Jim

ChopperBill

I printed that off and gave it to Renee ( minus the cracker coating step) She is all excited to try it this week end. Thanks Jim!

jbeletti

It's really good Bill. All credit and questions go to John Bird though. I've never made it. One day perhaps.

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
I make a variation of this that is even easier.

Take a frozen roast out of the freezer and put in the crock pot the night before. Season it with salt and pepper. Add garlic and Season-All if you want. Add a little water to the pot and cover it tightly.
Cook it on low all night and into the next day. Its done when it falls apart very easily. This lets you use a cheaper cut of roast and still have it turn out tender.
Strain the fat off the juices from the roast.
Shread the beef and remove any bones the roast had in it.
Add a can of sliced mushrooms and a couple of cans of Cream of Mushroom soup. You can also add Kitchen Bouquet or beef au jus mix if you need or want more flavor or color.
Put in more pepper if you like it a little spicier.
Let the meat and gravy cook together for awhile until its hot. You might have to add more water so it doesn't get too thick or if you need more gravy to make a bigger batch of beef noodles. It should be thick enough to coat noodles, but not so thick that it gets sticky.

Cook extra wide egg noodles (I use a whole big bag) according to the directions.
Drain and rinse in hot water.
Pour them in the pot with the meat and sauce.
Wait a few minutes to let the flavors settle and serve.

Notice the absence of onions.... that's because onions aren't allowed in my house! :eek::eek::eek: You can put them in if you want to.

I prefer to put a spoon of sour cream on my beef noodles to make them a little more creamy. Mark prefers his plain.

Kristy

RollingHome

I'll ask in the super market... but my curiosity at 11:00 PM is killing me, What is kitchen bouquet ? I've never heard of it !

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We cook beef roasts in the crock pot all of the time. You don't even have to thaw them out but put it in the pot right out of the freezer. Let it cook an hour of two and then add seasoning. Another alternative to mushroom soup is Cream of Onion or Cream of Celery soup. Instead of a beef roast you can substitute frozen Chicken breasts and Cream of Chicken (Onion or Celery) soup. Also instead of Kitchen Bouquet use Fajita Seasoning (beef or Chicken). Sometimes we will also add a cube or two of beef or chicken bullion. You can also add a cup of beef or chicken stock instead. The other thing we like to do is add several cut up carrots and/or celery and potatoes. Your who meal is in the crock pot. Something like that you start cooking in the morning, let it cook all day and then it is ready to eat by 430pm. Our crock pot will automatically switch to keep warm after 8 or 10 hours.