Is out-of-state firewood allowed in Florida?

GETnBYE

I have been seeing things about some campgrounds not allowing you to bring firewood if you live out of their state.
Just wondering about Florida.
Anyone know?:confused:
Thanks,
Nita

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Many states have laws transporting firewood across state lines.

At our Spring Rally, we had left some firewood at one of the sites for the next person to use. We got a call from the campground (WillowTree) telling us that is against their own rules.

We only used SC firewood.

Really. I know. I asked it.

Razorback

We have been taking firewood with us for several years to Florida and I was told at the state park we stay at to either burn all we bring or take the excess home with us. So thats what we do and have not had any issues for the past 6-7 years.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Hope you all realize that there is a good reason not to transport firewood. To prevent the spread of bugs and the problems that come along with them.
Things like Gypsy Moth caterpillers and Emerald Ash Borers.
I know that in states like Wisconsin and Michigan, they don't even want you to transport firewood within the state.
I have seen the Gypsy Moth caterpillers in action. Hundreds of acres of oak trees in August that looked like January....not one leaf left on the trees.

Peace
Dave

robnmo

http://www.emeraldashborer.info/ and http://na.fs.fed.us/fhp/eab/ are a couple websites ref quarantined states, counties, etc. Like someone else said basically most states North of KY are under quarantine of taking firewood out of state or in some cases transporting between counties. In some states any camp firewood "has to be certified" generally has a tag or sticker from either that state DNR or USDA (varies from state to state).

GETnBYE

Dave, I do know that there is a good reason and I don't want to break the rules. Sometimes it's hard to find out what the rules are so you won't break them. That is what is so great about this forum.
Thanks for the info.
Nita

robnmo

The reasons are good, a bit reactive instead of proactive and I kinda have a feeling firewood and timber isn't the only way they can travel. Stopping an invasive plant or animal species is like loading a dumptruck with a dinner fork. JMHO

ky-newbie

In Kentucky, they're having a billboard/radio campaign saying "Don't Move Firewood!" They're trying to stop the Borer. I think it's been found in Kentucky already, but not widespread (yet).