jumper cables to truck to power slideout

Brad

If one finds themselves in the boonies with an extended slideout and a dead battery, is there any problem with connecting the truck battery to the trailer battery with jumper cables to power the slideout (with the truck running).

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Brad, just plug the trailers light connection into the truck. It will provide enough 12 volt power to the battery to run the slide out motor. Even better if the truck is running.

wdk450

Ray:
When I had this problem, it was my experience that the truck lighting umbilical didn't supply enough current in a timely manner. I see no problem with the "Jump" option (in the boonies).

Last edited:

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Ray:
When I had this problem, it was my experience that the truck lighting umbilical supplied enough in a timely manner. I see no problem with the "Jump" option (in the boonies).
I agree, jumper cables will work just fine. Our experience was due to our battery being dead after our first time in for warranty work. I left the reefer going (we're full timers) and so did the dealer after the work was done. I went to pick up the rig a day later and found the battery too weak to operate the landing gear and a beeping sound from the LP sensor. I just plugged in the trailer to the truck and we were able to raise the legs normally. I just assumed the slide motor would use a similar amount of draw from the battery. So it just seemed easier to me to back up to the rig, plug in the cable and bring in the slide. Hook up and go...

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I did the same, just plugging in the umbilical when we picked our rig up last fall after some warranty work. Ran the slides, jacks and awning with no problem.