Do you train regular?

Pulltab

Just curious how many actually practice often enough to keep sharp? I started and run a twice a month handgun shoot for our sportsman's club here. I generally get to the range at least once a week and run thru 100-300 rounds. That would be both rifle and handgun. My handgun shoots I hold set up multiple scenarios for CCW persons. It is becoming very popular with our club. I see so many people that take the course for a CCW and then never shoot again. That seems to me to be one of the most dangerous things you can do, adrenaline is a wicked drug and can make you not think right. Muscle memory is a good antidote for it. I hope that all the training I do is a waste of time but much like insurance I still pay the premiums! :D

OhioJay

At minimum, I make it to the range (Powder Room, in Powell) once a month. Usually once every 2 to 3 weeks. I'll shoot 100-200 rounds or so each time from my everyday-carry pistol, and I'll rent a different gun and shoot 50-100 rounds through it just for fun and experience.

I'd be interested to know where you are located, so I could try to join your club. If it's near central Ohio, I'm in!

hart1369

:confused:no training is bad but you must remember that there is nothing in this world that can prepare you to shoot at a human just remember you must do what you need to do

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Tab...remind me never to get you mad at me....LOL...see you in a couple of weeks...Kathy!!

silverhawk

The best thing to do to make sure you can take care of business when you need to is have the " I WILL SURVIVE " Mind set.

Pulltab

Here is a video of one of the shooters at our last club shoot using rifle and transitioning to pistol.

I try to train as much as possible. Have friends that run PPC/IDPA leagues and shoot w/ them when I can. I also rent a lane a/ work at Bass Pro and practice w/ my Ruger and my S&W carry gun. I volunteer at the gun club at WOT shoots. Bowling pin shoots start in Oct. so I will go to that..just for fun. If I feel my life is in danger/and or the person is going to do great bodily harm, I am ready to protect myself and my family. I do need to find a new club that is more convenient to drive to. I have my SRO certification also, so I can run the ranges. I know of a few sportman's clubs/campgrounds here in Michigan where you can stay and camp and use the ranges. Sounds fun..huh?

caissiel

I was told by a retired Sheriff that if you carry a gun you have to be prepared to shoot first and be ready to suffer the consiquences. Nobody wins at this game.

That's why they train you want to do and who to call if you ever face a situation where you have to defend yourself and surrender yourself to the law. The man on the news last week whose wife and 2 daughters where raped, torchured and murdered by home invader's is suffering the consequences too; of not having a gun to defend his family. Sad, sad situation..if only the tables had been turned.

Pulltab

Chic got it right, it is no game and you hope it never comes to it but I would rather sit in a prison than know my wife or family had been killed by a lunatic and I did not have the ability to protect them. Carrying a firearm is serious business and not to be taken lightly, if you are not prepared to use it in an emergency then you best leave it at home. The last thing you need is for them to take your weapon and use it on you because you thought flashing some steel would scare them.

It's also on my list this winter to take an advanced tactical defense class to help defend myself and my gun from an assailant. I need to call and get signed up for that soon. The last thing you want them to do it get your weapon. Chances are..you won't be sitting in prison if you are truely denfending yourself and others. Realistically, that is a rare situation. If you've ever been attacked or know someone who was attacked, esp. by a serial killer..you will realize it's not a game. It's a matter of life and death..I choose life.

porthole

Retired
take the course for a CCW

So - living in Jersey I'm sure you know what we go through.

Have you considered a CCW course for Heartland members???? Next year many of us will be going through Ohio on the way to Indiana.
My buddy and I have contemplated taking a trip out west for one of the multi state CCW classes, but we just never seem to get around to it. The closer we are to traveling a lot, the more inclined I am to finally get the CCW

Pulltab

I don't know about other states but in Ohio you have to be a resident to qualify. I would check into a Florida license. You may be able to use anyones course to qualify for theirs and it covers about 30 states plus. I have a Florida license but it was easy for me to get as I have a current license and requirements completed.

Pulltab

Here is a video from the latest scenario I set up for our group.

Notice I was wearing the appropriate Tshirt :)

The setup was your house has been taken over by thugs and unwanteds, you enter the house not knowing where anyone was, your family and your dog are inside along with some neighbors, the plan is to take out ONLY the bad guys. Obviously I had the advantage as I had designed the stage but it still is a challenge. There were 4 rooms to clear, some targets hid family members so if you were not careful before you shot you may have injured one of them as the bullet passes thru the bad guy. Total round count for this course was about 43 if shot perfect.

Pulltab

Thanks Jim, it was interesting, on entering the door there was a target that was spring loaded and delayed by a second or two. The interesting part was there were only 6 out of 12 people that even noticed they got slugged by a bad guy, some just noticed something hit their arm and looked at it and continued, it was good to see that 2 of the six who shot that target are deputies for our county. All targets marked with green are friendly targets.