Do I need more the one Satellite Antenna

Sailor

I am going to get a care out satellite antenna with a single LBN. My question is with a single LBN and a reciver in the bedroom and another reciver in the liveing room will we be able to watch two different chanles at the same time, as long as the chanles are ones the same sattellite? At this point I am thinking that I will get a Viewqube to be able to care out and Direc service. Sence the carry out antenna will not do HD not worred about HD and the higher channels. I am sure interested in others advice.

lhetsler

I use the Winegard portable satellite. It has two outputs so you can have two TV's with different program. I don't think you can get that with one LBN and only one output. I am really happy with my winegard. It gets HD and is fully automatic. Just plug in and turn on. I use it with Dish network but it works with direct tv also, but will not do HD with DTV.

Carryout
®

Automatic Portable
Satellite TV Antenna

Model GM-1518

DougS

Doug S
Les,

I have been kicking around the idea of a Carryout. Our Landmark was born Tuesday and we are picking it up June 1, so I am trying to decide between a Carryout or roof mounted unit. I like the idea that the Carryout can be moved for a clear shoot at the sky. Do you have yours mounted on the ladder or do you use it as a portable? Secondly, can I ask why you have Dish TV over Direct TV, everything I have read seems to lean toward Direct TV? We have cable TV at our home, so satelite is new to us.

Thanks
DougS (soon to be)

ChopperBill

If you have more than one outlet on the LNB you can hook up two TV's. I did it last year in the old Bighorn. I tried to run our new 52 and 32 inch Samsungs HD LCD's on non HD satellite. Was ready to take them both back to the store and go back to the old style CRT TV's. Ordered HD receivers and a dish for those TV's and WOW! My opinion, the new TV's are junk without HD transmission. Another opinion, I like Direct much better than Dish. Only down fall with Direct is you need two cables to one receiver if you want to run the HD receiver with DVR. Others may have their own opinion on that topic.

lhetsler

Well, as far as the TV service goes, the quality and so forth, I find DTV and Dish to be comparably equal. I do like to be able to get HD and the winegard will get HD with Dish but not with DTV. I use my dish strictly as a portable and if I were to mount it, I would do so on the ladder using the removable quick release mount. But honestly I find that most places I camp I back in under trees and I like to be able to use the satellite dish on the ground. If I have a clear sky, I put it on top of my Bighorn. I made a weight from one of those concrete covered on plastic round weights (10lbs) and made a stem from a galvanized pipe length of about 3 inches and threaded that into a pipe floor mount (glued this assembly into the hole in the weight). I put rubber tips that I got a Walmart on the legs of the tripod stand and a piece of rubber mat (cut to round and glued) under the weight to protect the roof of the 5th wheel and use a bungee cord between the pipe and the bottom of the tripod to weigh it down.

As far as the service, I got a special price for a year 1/2 off and just decided to try dish when I got the new Winegard. I have read where a lot of people who have mounted dishes on top have trouble getting a signal. In fact I was just camping in Savannah GA and a fellow came over to talk when he saw my dish setup. His dish was on top and he said he was always having to try to get a site with southern sky clearance and it was a pain. After the year was over, I would say the price with DTV and Dish is about the same, the DTV service went out during storms a lot more often. But otherwise the quality is good on both. I just use one of my house receivers when we go camping. Wether I set my dish on the roof or on the ground or picnic table, I use a 20 foot 3/8 inch and and lock it to the 5th wheel. Many times a campground will only have a few choices of sites and I like the flexiblity of portability. Like I said they do make a ladder mount with a quick release. It depends too on what type of camping you do. We travel camp, that is staying at one place 3 to 5 days and then traveling on. We only camp for a week or two in one place when we do local campgrounds. So I like to be able just sit the dish out and let it do its thing.

I have heard people say that dish has a lower sky angle than DTV and make it harder to get a signal, but I have not experienced this problem myself. I have also heard that when you quit Dish, you have to pay to send back the equiptment, where DTV sends post paid boxes. I do know that dish charges me $7 a month because I don't have a hard telephone line. I don't like that charge and don't find any use to have a hard line anymore with multiple cell phones in the house. Best wishes in your decision.

Sailor

Les,

I just got done watching a video on the Winegard carryout, the video makes it look like connect the cables and turn the power on and for get it! Is that really true?

rjr6150

We have the V Qube 2000 and love it just set it our with clear view of the southern sky turn it on and let it set up. I'm using dish network and have HD to both TV's. Were able to watch different programs on each TV though both must be on the same satellite.

lhetsler

Yes that is true of the Winegard carryout. The first time you use your satellite box with it you have to go to the menu and do a check switch, because it is set to the satellite on your house. But after that first night of camping it is just plug in and watch. It is nice because we move around alot when we camp and it is fully automatic. Some are not and come with a remote that you use to line up to the satellite. If you are full time or have a separate box for your RV then the check switch would not apply.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
OK, lemme hijack this thread for a bit. Let's say I go out and get the Winegard Carryout antenna (I like the looks of it). Maybe even get the ground tripod and ladder mount, for versatility. So now I'm out almost $1200. Next, I have to contract with either Dish or DirectTV to get the converter box and service. Looking at their plans, if I want more than holy roller junk, I have to go to a more expensive plan than the basic. And take out a 12 month commitment. I don't need satelite at home since I've got cable. Question is, is it really worth it for part-time summer television? And I'm not a sports junkie, either.

jnbhobe

I had cable and threw them out !! The prices kept going up and up and they kept canceling channel after channel. That was about 8 years ago and I never looked back. I have direct tv with the plus channels and I pay extra for east and west coast broadcast channels ABC,NBC,CBS, and FOX. I use a wine-guard tri-pod and carry about 200ft of cable. I can usually get a signal any where. It is registered to the RV and I keep one reciever in the RV and one in the house.

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
JohnDar,

With Dish or Direct TV you can put the account on Vacation Mode by calling customer service. If I remember correctly vacation mode is about $5 a month. You can switch between Vacation and Active mode as much as you like.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Well here is what I did. I am not a biggie on HD, I am happy with good Digital. After trying to tune in our DirecTV sat on a fixed tripod, I got tired of taking a long time to setup. I know some of you can do it in 30sec..

I saw JayC, & Bill & Ornell's dish on a tripod from TV for RV's . I like this tripod. Easy to setup. I put my dish on the tripod and set it up as the instructions directed. Still had a bit of trouble finding the Satellite. I made a big purchase and got the Bird Dog. So far this has been a blessing. I can set up my satellite with out connecting to the receiver and I know which satellite I am receiving a signal from, how strong of a signal I am getting.

I set it up, pluged in the cable (bought also 100ft of dual cable while at Rayford Crossing) and DW said Hay we got it.. I said " I Know".. :cool:.

It really only takes me about 5 minutes to set it up. I only have one other test and that is when I am in a lot of trees that are trying to block the signal.

I can set the satellite up high enough that most vehicles don't block it and as low as the tripod will go.

DSC_0870M..jpg DSC_0870M2..jpg

This is what I did...
BC