2011 3250ts

archbarb

My wife and I have been looking at Heartland products (fifth Wheels) now for about a year. We now have a North Trail 26RKS (2009 model) made by Heartland and has been great. Interior and exterior seem very well made. Very good product for the dollar. So like many others on here, we feel we have kinda out grown the travel trailer adventure and are ready to move into a fifth wheel.

We feel that the Big Country 3250TS is just what the doctor has ordered. Hopefully we will complete everything on the order soon.

I feel I've inquired about many things, and hope I've thought about everything we want on this (condo on wheels).

I do have one question, how many of you have the slide room awnings, and is it worth the extra expense?

Archie

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
My opinion of the slide toppers is that they are worth the cost. They keep water and debris from piling up on top of the slides. Yes, the tops do get dusty and need to be wiped down occasionally, but there is no worry about heavy rains pooling and getting past the seals on top. Or debris getting dragged in, possibly damaging the rubber seals, when you retract the slides. Especially since the seals have a habit of not fully deploying unless you get up there and manually pull them out. (There is a mod for that, just haven't done it yet.) Another advantage is the reduction of sun load on the top of the slides helping to keep it a little cooler inside during the summer.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
We're on the other side of the fence. We don't have them. I made a slide topper for the large LR/Dinette slide that we used in California this winter and I think it helps with reducing the heat on the slide room just as John said. Otherwise it was pretty noisy when windy. Since we've been back in WI, I haven't put it on and don't think I will. We've never had a problem with rain intrusion. It's one of those things you either decide to do it or not. Also, at the time of ordering our rig, there was also a weight issue. I didn't want any extra weight.
If I were to do it all over again I would probably have them installed at the factory now that I have a more capable truck.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
To follow up, the only one that generated any noise on ours was the one on the main slide. Probably because of it's size it is not as taut as the others. Remedy for that was to make a PVC support that runs the length and slides under it on top of the slide. Helps it drain better, too. But I've not been parked in a place with exceptionally high winds, either. Ours were installed by the dealer while they held the rig for us. New for us this season is the window awning we had them install last fall on the main slide. Matches the main awning nicely.

GETnBYE

We had them installed when we purchased our BC and I think that it is well worth the extra $. I guess it is just up to the individual tho. Some things you can wait and get later, we waited a while before getting the extra AC in the bedroom, but it was no problem because it was wired for one already.
Happy Trails,
Nita

rickd

Like you, we had a 26RKS 5'er only it was made by Citation here in Canada. We just traded it in on a new 2011 Heartland Big Country 3250TS.

We have many options on our new rig, but I didn't order the slide toppers. We spend about 3 months each winter in Desert Hot Springs and some days the desert wind can really howl. A lot of folks with slide toppers have them torn off or ripped. Not only that, they have to pull their slides in at night both because of the noise and the possibility of wind damage.

So, all things considered, I figured we could live without the slide toppers for now.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do with your new rig.

dynaguy

slide covers are a great way to protect the slide, ive had them on pretty much every rv i have owned for the past 10 years.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
I can't comment on the slide toppers as we don't have them...but we do have a Big Country! You will love the 3250TS!

Best Wishes!

Willym

I never had toppers on the slides off any of the rigs that we have owned. I've never had a problem with debris or water on top of the slides. They are extra weight to carry around, something else sticking out of the side to catch tree branches on tight campground roads, and a flapping noise risk when we go to windy Texas for the winter.

Joel

We have the 3595RE and don't have the slide awnings. We camp the summer in Colo & winter on the coast of Texas and thought the wind would tear them up. Have friends who have them and they seem to need replacing constantly.

Elder1

First Congrats on your new 5er. We have the toppers and love em, this is the 7th RV for us and we have had toppers on all of em and I would not even consider not having them. Do they get noisy? Yup, but never had one damaged and we have been in some real good wind events. They do help keep the outside from coming inside and we like to camp/RV in State Parks so end up with leaves and junk on top. In the end its really up to you and how and where you RV, at any rate, have fun and maybe we will see you out there some time.

Bryan