Prodigy P3 vs Hayes G2

tmcran

Want to up grade controller. I have read good reports on both of these any feed back from users.

jonesj2

Don't know much about The Hayes G2 but I currently upgraded to the P3 and really like it.

I do not fully understand all of the boost settings and other functions but it will come in time.

SilverRhino

I have the P3 and really like it. You can easily move it from vehicle to vehicle and adjust the boost setting according to the load you are towing.

Simple display...great instruction cd comes with product.

Travel Safe!

tmcran

Well, I did some reading about the Maxbrake Controller and also talked with some folks that had gone from the Prodigy and P3 to the Maxbrake. They said the Maxbrake is like night and day better than any inertia brake system. I got the Maxbrake installed yesterday and tested it out today. WOW! GREAT!. Once it is calibrated and the gain set. There is no need to adjust it again. Very good when backing and don't need to adjust the gain for backing or for stop and go city driving. Just like applying the truck brakes no jerky movement at all.

2010augusta

Here is something intersting I just found out from Wikipedia

The optional factory installed Ford Motor Company "TowCommand" integrated TBC (Trailer Brake Controller) system is only available and compatible on the extra-heavy duty commercial Ford Super Duty line of trucks starting with the 2005 models. It is built and engineered jointly with Tekonsha who is famous for their Prodigy TBC. With adjustable +/- trailer braking gain in a digital readout from 0.0 (no trailer brakes) to 10.0 (full trailer braking) in 0.5 increments and a manual override lever (to test trailer braking action), the Ford 'built into the dash' TBC provides smooth braking even when pulling up to a 15,000 lb 4-axle conventional (receiver mounted) or 26,000 lb 4-axle 5th Wheel (bed/frame mounted) trailer. TowCommand being different from most aftermarket TBCs, ties into the trucks' computer and hydraulics, so it senses truck brake pressure and can apply trailer brakes as fast as the truck's brakes. Master Brake Systems 'BrakeSmart' TBC is the only other TBC that taps into the trucks hydraulic lines in modern trucks.

The TowCommand TBC is basically made of three major components; the in-dash TBC module, a special TowCommand master cylinder with a brake pressure transducer, and an activated PCM (Powertrain Control Module) parameter by a Ford dealer's NGS or WDS programming method. All 2005 and newer Ford Super Duty trucks are already pre-wired for the TBC from the factory, no matter if the TBC option was ordered and installed at the time of the trucks assembly or not.

so it sound like ford has used this type of system for a while.

branson4020

Icantre Member
Ford was first to offer an integrated brake controller. Dodge now offers one on the 2010's and I believe GM will offer one in 2011. An integrated controller tied to the vehicle computer and braking system is bound to be a little better than ANY aftermarket controller. They can't, however, provide all the functionality of the vehicle braking system, like ABS for instance, since the trailer does not provide wheel sensor information.

tmcran

Ford was first to offer an integrated brake controller. Dodge now offers one on the 2010's and I believe GM will offer one in 2011. An integrated controller tied to the vehicle computer and braking system is bound to be a little better than ANY aftermarket controller. They can't, however, provide all the functionality of the vehicle braking system, like ABS for instance, since the trailer does not provide wheel sensor information.

The ABS will continue to work on the TV with the Maxbrake. The 08 to presant GM has an integrated brake controller --the advantage of the Maxbrake is that it is tied into the brake line off the master cylinder so the brake controller uses hydraulic vehicle brake pressure to control the electric brakes of the trailer. I would have to say based on the amount I towed today it works much better than any inertia system. Thus the trailer brake is controlled buy the TV brake pedal. They also have set up for air brakes.

Last edited:

lwmcguir

Well, I did some reading about the Maxbrake Controller and also talked with some folks that had gone from the Prodigy and P3 to the Maxbrake. They said the Maxbrake is like night and day better than any inertia brake system. I got the Maxbrake installed yesterday and tested it out today. WOW! GREAT!. Once it is calibrated and the gain set. There is no need to adjust it again. Very good when backing and don't need to adjust the gain for backing or for stop and go city driving. Just like applying the truck brakes no jerky movement at all.

Great post, getting ready to upgrade my F550 controller and this is the way we are going. Thanks

Re: Prodigy P 3 vs Hayes G2

I love the Ford system, but did not know how it worked until today. I sure you;ll love the Max Break if it works like Ford system.

It was a pleasure just driving around putting on the brakes.(grin) Backing was a big improvement. I didn't realize the difference until I drove a truck with the Maxbrake. That sold me.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Something else about Ford's Controller.
When I went to adjust the drum brakes on the trailer, I had DW get into the truck and step on the brake when I spun the tire to see if it worked properly. I adjusted the brake shoe untill I heard it kissing the drumb. I asked DW to hit the brakes. Nothing happened. We tried it again. Nothing happened. I asked her to use the levers on the controller. The tire came to a sudden stop. Tried the brake again. Didn't work. Driving with no brakes!!!

I took the truck to the dealer in town. Had them check it out. After about 30min they came back and said it was working properly. I told him it was not working. I had tested it in the campground and it did not work. He had it checked again.

Again after about 30min he came back grinning. He said "Well I learned something new today".. Your brake system is working propertly.

What is happening is the brakes and controller are connected in to the computer and ABS system. It determines the amount of braking power needed depending on how much your pressing on the brake and how fast the vehicle is moving.

Your truck is not moving. It needs no brake.

It works great when I am moving. I have never slid the tires. It also works with the ABS system and applys the proper braking in a sudden stop.

My only one thought. If your on a steep decline, and you have your foot on the brake. Only the truck's brakes are holding the entire rig?? Could be intresting.

FWIW
BC

tmcran

That sounds strange. With the Maxbrake I checked to see if the trailer brakes work with the TV stationary and they do . One thing I like is the park brake feature.The trailer park brake is useful to lock the trailer wheels while you load or unload a trailer. I don't think I would use this on the RV but I can sure use it to unload cattle from the cattle trailer or if you are using ramps to load items and don't want any movement of the trailer.I think the trailer brakes could get really HOT if this feature was used very long.