Flexing RV - safe to tow? Now can't Un-Hitch

Can someone tell me if my BC is safe to tow now?

We have major flexing problems. We had 2 big cracks and a brewing pressure point where it is warping, then yesterday I moved it just half a mile and had another 2 cracks already. The pressure is enough to be ripping the bottom front corner from the Bed slide when taking it in and out so things are not good.

I am being told by Heartland right now that it will make the trip, (I have to tow it some 2,300 miles), but I am worried about the safety of my family sitting just in front of this.

Does anyone have any first hand knowledge or experience with the safety issues around 5th wheels with these problems?

I asked Heartland to confirm it was safe - but there response of "It will make the trip" did not inspire me with confidence.
When it comes to the safety of my family - I want assurances. Also I want to make sure it will not endanger other motorists, travelers or passers by.

I guess my thinking is that if the frame is not holding together – hence the walls all cracking - and the walls are all cracked so they are not longer offering strength to the structure – what and where is the strength to hold it all together? It is a lot of weight moving around as you travel down the road and I know it will all stay held together to a certain extent – but what will happen if a bad driver cuts me off and I have to brake sharply or have to swerve to miss something on the road in an emergency situation - will it all hold together? There is so much weight and therefore pressure moving either forward or sideways will it still have enough strength to hold or will it cut loose and smash forward on my family or sideways on some other motorists?

I appreciate anyone information as to the safety of towing an RV with flexing issues.
Thanks le

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Re: Flexing RV - safe to tow?

Hard to say its safe from just reading your post, photos would help. Unless the frame itself is cracked it should be ok, just drive a max of 55mph till you get it checked out.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter

Hello Le, whats up with the coach. I though you had it back to HL months ago. Is this a new issue?? Wether it is safe...can't/won't tell you. Has anyone looked at the frame with the lower B/Room cover off?? BTW, LIppert has a mobile RV repair service that will come to you. You might call HL and Lippert and see if they will come to you. I do have the guys name and PH#...but you should call them 1st. Bob

Hi
thanks for your notes. I have had a responce from Heartland saying now that:
"I will write that the issues in the pictures pertaining to the cracks and front end movement will not completely separate from the trailer during your trip". From Jim Fenner.

I have just taken some more pictures - you can see them on:
http://picasaweb.google.com/janeway9 click on the Flexing wall cracks May 14 2010 images though the previous 2 folders have more of the images taken over the last weeks.

I can see lots of people have viewed this - if anyone has any other information on travelling with trailers with major flexing issues I sure would like to hear from you. I have to say I am still most uncomfortable - it is such a very long way and I am worried about having to haul this camper all the way to Indiana with it like this.
thanks in advance
le

Hi Bob and Patty,
Long story short - I did get it repaired a second time - in fact Heartland had it for 4 months.... had several other problems shortly after - (no hot water for 3 weeks, elctrical out int he rear of the camper then major (MAJOR) flood in the basement area and with that all resolved we decided to move again. First trip and all the framing has seperated again - so we are back to where we were last July. Anyway Heartland want me to bring it up to them - I am in Los Angeles - and while I do not want to drive it 2500 miles I don't seem to have a choice. I am just trying to figure out if it is safe - we will need to stop and camp many times to do that distance and just over the past week moving it once we are getting the cracks widening.

I hate to post bad stories on here - but I seem to have little choice right now as I need some advise - I have to know this is safe - my children will be with me and they are 3 and 4 yrs old. I want to be confident they will be safe. Appreciate any feedback you have - just posted the currect crack pictures up so you can see them and tell me what you think.
thanks le

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member

Thanks for posting the photos. One thing I would do before the trip is measure the amount of flex from the king pin to the axle.
With the RV level on the landing gear take a measurement from the king pin to the ground. Now raise the king pin with a hydrolic jack untill the landing gear is off the ground and take another measurement. I did this on my Sundance just to see how much the frame deflected. (1 1/2") Your measurement may be more like 2 1/2" and still be considered normal.

caissiel

When my pin box frame failed on my previous trailer the first thing I noticed was the level of the 5th wheel plate. The front of the flat plate was angled toward the front and I notice it because my 5th wheel hitch was tilted backward. During a 2000 mile trip it didn't change but I keep an Eye on it. When I went to repair it I noted that an electrian had cut a hole for a wire right in the highset stressed area of the supporting beam. It was over loaded by 200% at that location.

A small error could be the cause, but metal has a way of bending and flexing first before it completely fails.

I have been watching mine carefully and so far so good, but I did notice the flexing of the pin box is there.

If we had a trailer that did not flex we would not be able to pull it because it would be to heavy. but the flexing must be controlled. Remember that steel can flex 1 inch per 120 inches and still be safe.

RoadJunkie

HL can tell you it will make the trip, but ultimately you are responsible for what may occur while towing. You know this, of course. Having said that--and while it is clear repair is necessary--the cracks don't seem like they would cause a massive, spontaneous, breakup during travel. I would probably travel slowly, stop frequently, and inspect often to ensure cracks are not worsening. Although 2300 miles is quite a haul! Good luck.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders

We had a similar situation on our 3370RL and we took it to Elkhart for the repairs. It got no worse on the way, so you're probably safe.

Tom of Ypsi

Jay,
Since you are heading back to Elkhart again to refix the fix after 750 miles have you seen any difference in the size of the cracks?

noobee

I appreciate that you are concerned that it is unsafe. I also dislike it one someone says 'it should be okay'. Perhaps HL would be good enough to have it hauled back via a flat bed.

Good luck.

CS

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador

I too can tell you it will be OK! And I say this from experience...not once but twice!! You problem looks identical to ours...both times, and I can assure the problem was NOT the frame. It was on both occasions, busted welds in the aluminum sidewall ONLY!!!

The area below the bedroom slide, right in front of the expansion joint, seems to be a weak spot in the aluminum framing of the wall, as evidenced by the number of us who have had this problem. When the welds fail in this area, it causes cracks and problems in other areas...like the bedroom slide. It is probably coming apart because the area below it is dropped dramatically, especially when it is on the truck. Once it is fixed and supported properly, you will have no more problems. Our last repair has been over a year and no more problems.

Hi
thank-you all for your comments. I appreciate them
Ken and Kathy - yes I understand where the problems are - that is exactly what I had repaired by the factory in Nov last year. We had numerous problems post that repair and it was taken back to another RV repair shop in December where they kept it till mid Jan. This is the first trip (more than 10 miles) that we have done in it and it is all breaking up again - we have new cracks as well as the old in the walls, though the floor has not dropped yet. I sure hope that yours holds together longer than ours did. Worst is there is no way to check till it starts to actually separate.

Anyway - back to my concern about safety - as I mentioned Heartland is going to give me a letter to the effect that " I will write that the issues in the pictures pertaining to the cracks and front end movement will not completely separate from the trailer during your trip" so that will certainly cover me from an insurance point of view, but I still hate the fact that we have to nurse a defective trailer that could pose a risk for days and days all the way up there. There needs to be a better way.

It will be a stressful drive and it is putting my children in unnecessary risk. I am sure the neither Brian Brady or Jim Fenner would put there kids in a truck to make such a big trip with a defective trailer on - why should they expect their customers to. Anyway - again my thanks folks for your feedback.
I wish you all safe and fun travelling over the summer.
Best wishes Le

Rmcgrath53

Hey I feel for ya. If that was what my RV would be like. I would be hoping they call that a factory reject and get me a new one.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

I looked at most of your photo gallery and you certainly have my sympathy. That is not a rig HL should be proud of. If you're reluctant to pull it cross country yourself, might you consider looking into having a freight company haul it back on a low-boy trailer? I don't know what the cost would be, but it might be your only alternative to pulling it yourself. I'm surprised HL hasn't told you to take it to a reliable dealer and have the dealer make arrangements to ship it back.

lwmcguir

Hi
thanks for your notes. I have had a responce from Heartland saying now that:
"I will write that the issues in the pictures pertaining to the cracks and front end movement will not completely separate from the trailer during your trip". From Jim Fenner.

I have just taken some more pictures - you can see them on:
http://picasaweb.google.com/janeway9 click on the Flexing wall cracks May 14 2010 images though the previous 2 folders have more of the images taken over the last weeks.

I can see lots of people have viewed this - if anyone has any other information on travelling with trailers with major flexing issues I sure would like to hear from you. I have to say I am still most uncomfortable - it is such a very long way and I am worried about having to haul this camper all the way to Indiana with it like this.
thanks in advance
le

HL needs to give you another camper and dissect this one so they don't repeat the mistakes. Surely a poor frame that Lippert needs to see up close and personal.

caissiel

If this is related to the subject, I installed new larger screws on the aluminum frame to lippert frame structure at the bottom of the from storage compartement. The frame was breaking the small screws and the frame was seperating from the frame just under the front storage door under the 5th wheel. I spaced them at about 12" appart, much better then the original ones were.

Also I noticed that the 5th wheel box lifts up about 1/2 in closer to the front fibeglass front. This is about the max expected, but I will keep a good I on it from now on. Hope its just the regular flex like the previous trailer had for 13 years before it failed due to faulty manufacturing.

Re: Can't Unhitch - Update to Flexing - Safe to tow thread

If your coming to Colorado Springs there is a Camping World on south end of town off I-25 mile marker 132, 6830 Bandley Dr. Also a KOA campground same exit. Also there is a Heartland dealer, Pikes Peak Traveland at 4815 E Platte Ave., 719-596-2716. If I can be of any help call me at 719-527-8861
Jim

Re: Can't Unhitch - Update to Flexing - Safe to tow thread

Le, I have had first hand experience with the landing gear. I carry a hydraulic bottle jack. Actually two of em. If you use one on the frame on the side that is not working it will jack that side up. Mine stopped all together, so I was hitching and unhitching using the bottle jacks.
Have you checked the bar that goes between the left and right front jacks. Sometimes a screw that holds the bar in place falls out, the bar moves out of position and the OD side will not work. The motor is on the door side so that one will work.
Take it easy on your trip.

Peace
Dave