MOR/ryde tire jacking for tire change

porthole

Retired
I crushed my first drive on ramp I tried. It worked until I overshot the ramp a bit, not it is only 1 inch tall now, but it is no longer usable :confused:

On the way to Hatteras I stoped at a Tractor Supply and bought a 20 ton "stubby" jack. This jack is short enough to just make it under the outer plate next to the tire.

In this picture my tire is off the ground by about 1/2", only took about 1.5" of travel for the jack.

The 20 ton is not overkill. It makes for a very easy jacking.
Although a drive on ramp would be much easier, and I may still try the RV version that is available, this solves the problem of how.

I actually prefer lifting the wheel as opposed to raising the trailer enough to get the affected wheel off the ground.

I suspect with a flat I will have to drive onto something to get enough clearance for the jack to fit under the "flat" IS.

Attachments

• 20_ton_jack..jpg
    20_ton_jack..jpg
    316.1 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:

lwmcguir

Sure is a lot safer to use a drive on jack or jack like you did. Jacking the frame is very dangerous unless you have several large blocks. A gust of wind can move enough to slip off the small H beam if you jack under it. Used the drive on jacks for many years and so have most everyone that has heavy utility or stock trailers.

caissiel

I did not believe the frame method until I tried it.
I carry 2 x 6 x 12 blocking in a Bucket and enough to create a craddle of 6 doubles high and then singles and use my 12 year old 6 ton jack and lift the frame right behind the rear tire. It surprised me how easy it was to lift the whole side and both tires of the ground.

I still have springs and I don't think that rubber would be that easy, because it compresses a lot with the weight on. The springs on my unit hardly compress so i just lifted the side about 3 inches. The jack bar is at a much easier reach then laying under the unit. I greased both wheels while turning them and it was easier then one wheel up at a time and jacking it twice.

Make sure your pin is on the truck and front legs off the ground, because you will twist the frame.