AC COndensation - is this normal?

porthole

Retired
AC Condensation - is this normal?

When using the AC in the duct mode I get enough condensation on the register to start dripping on the counter and floor. Is this normal?

Attachments

• AC condensation_0&.jpg
    AC condensation_0&.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 40
  • AC condensation_0&.jpg
    AC condensation_0&.jpg
    299.4 KB · Views: 36

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Re: AC Condensation - is this normal?

That certainly doesn't look normal to me. Do you have any blockage in the ducts?

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member

Not normal at all..... remove the cover and look for a plugged condensate drain pan opening. You may have to remove the top roof cover also as it should drain on the roof. Sometimes a low freon charge will ice up the coil and overload the drain when it melts.

Rickhansen

It doesn't look like overflow from the condensate pan. It is pretty clearly condensation. First, I'd have to wonder where all the humidity is coming from inside your rig. Showering and cooking can generate a lot of moisture. Are you shutting your A/C off at night and opening the windows allowing the humidity to get in?

Like Bob said, Make sure your running the fan on high speed, as the discharge air temperature will be a bit higher.

ncrebel8

Wesley and Niki Norwood

did you have the outside door open and the screen door closed while the A/C was running? That will cause condensation also.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member

It doesn't look like overflow from the condensate pan. It is pretty clearly condensation. First, I'd have to wonder where all the humidity is coming from inside your rig. Showering and cooking can generate a lot of moisture. Are you shutting your A/C off at night and opening the windows allowing the humidity to get in?

Like Bob said, Make sure your running the fan on high speed, as the discharge air temperature will be a bit higher.

Ever gamble in Vegas? Condensate is clear clean water, the AC drys the air so moisture on the air outlet shouldnt occure. (HVAC mech. for 20 years)

SmokeyBare

Might want to remove the inside grill and take a look inside. Look for the Sheet Metal baffle that separates the "Intake Air" from the "Discharge Air". This is often held in place with double side tape. If a gap developers allowing the Super Chilled A/C discharged air to flow back into the Intake side, mixing with warm moist air... it can cause the coils to begin to freeze up. Not saying this is what's happening to this unit... but it's always worth a Look-See.

Metal Duct Tape is a simple cure. I found several places that allowed air to be pulled from the space above the ceiling... ?Attic?... the tape seals the A/C Unit well.

Marv

Rickhansen

Ever gamble in Vegas? Condensate is clear clean water, the AC drys the air so moisture on the air outlet shouldnt occure. (HVAC mech. for 20 years)

Yes, I have gambled a bit in Vegas. Can't say I won big, but I had a great time.

A/C actually cools the air to dewpoint (100% Relative Humidity) to condense moisture out of the air. Reheating the air lowers the Relative Humidity of the air - Psychometric Chart 101. Being that you have condensation on the surface of the dump gate, it obviously is at or below dewpoint - in Vegas that is usually a tough trick.

HVAC Controls Tech / Engineer/ Project Manager for 24 years and still counting.

porthole

Retired

All that fancy talk for my drips and here all I thought it was the cold air moving past the grill and causing condensation because of the temperature differential.