Votes: 19 5.4%

Votes: 10 2.8%

Votes: 35 9.9%

Votes: 103 29.3%
  • 5 - highest level

Votes: 185 52.6%

• Total voters

jbeletti

In this poll, indicate whether you would buy another Heartland trailer if you were in the market for another trailer within the models that Heartland manufactures.

A rating of 1 will indicate a zero to near zero likelihood and a rating of 5 will indicate a very high likelihood that you would buy another Heartland trailer.

Forum member and prospective Heartland owner GaryB suggested a poll to rate satisfaction in several areas to be used as a gauge for prospective owners.

As best that can be done within this forum's poll software, below are separate polls to gather and track this information. I ask that only current and former Heartland product owners take these 5 satisfaction polls. Member names will remain private for these 6 polls.

You will only be allowed to vote once and you will not be allowed to change your vote later. So please respond carefully to this one-time opportunity to vote in this poll.

Jim

BigBlue

BigBlue
I would rate this a 1. I don't think I would get a Heartland again because there are to many problems with basic systems, like axles, plumbing, belly skin. I hold my breath every time we get on the road again wondering what's next.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
In the past few months we have been to several dealers in the Corpus/Aransas area. I wont mention the brands we looked at but Knowing what I can buy a Bighorn for compared to what we saw, features on Heartland blow away anything in that price range. I would not hesitate to buy another Heartland. We have seen some repetitive issues with Heartland but the number of those issues compared to the number or trailers produced is pretty small. I know that's no consolation to those who have had problems but it's just my opinion. We've had our share of issues but most have been resolved by me. All brands in all price points have issues. Heck, read Trailer Life. In 3 years, there have been 2 negative articles on Heartland. Maybe at this years Goshen Rally we can get the point across and they can start doing something about those repeat issues.

2010augusta

more than likely

ALL RV WILL HAVE ISSUES!!! I have had some, but overall I love my Landmark. I have looked at several dozen high-end trailers and have not found another kitchen a nice and large as the Augusta. All my concerns have been quickly address by the factory and replacement parts were sent at no cost. The Landmark is a very solid unit that is easy to use and I feel that is was an excellent value. This owners forum is also a great tool.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Slide outs leak and heartland doesn't stand behind they're trailers
LITTLEWING, sorry to hear about your slide. I don't know what your situation is, but Heartland does stand behind their products. Remember your dealer is the representative here. I do hope you circle around to read the replies to your post and give some more information on your problems. We want to know.
Peace
Dave

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Shooting the Sacred Cow--Lefty Calls it as He sees it..Oh Lord He's at it again!

One of the things that I've found out about surveys is that they cause a lot of dissention in the ranks. You got your I hate it...you got your I love it..and you got your I dunno groups. If you love it you're stupid...if you hate it, you're stupid. God have mercy on the people that fall in between.

Every product has problems, that is true. But, there are also problems that should not have to be addressed on a new RV. They should be caught by the QA/QC process. Y'know..do it right, check your work...get it right...in the shape it's in when it goes out the door, would I buy this?

I just see to many things that make me wonder. I'm in this thing 24 hours a day unless I"m out at the VA. So, I have lots of time to find things. As it stands right now, I'd have to give it a lot of thought one way or the other. Maybe if I oversaw the entire construction process....

You should not have to call the factory to have them find you a repair facility when the guy next door sells heartlands. If they will not support the product they should not be allowed to sell it. I've taken trucks bought in Houston to dealers in Fairbanks (Chev and IH) and got my repair work done. No questions asked. I may have had to make an appointment...but, I got my service work done. Hauling a Silverado or a IH Scout in for a door adjustment is just a little thing compared with having to drag a 20,000 pound house on wheels around city traffic because Luigi ran out of the right screws and used the wrong ones..cause he was too lazy to go to the screw bin.

My biggest concern is having this beast breakdown on the road, and be told they only service what they sell. What do I do then? Will Good Sam tow me 100+ miles to another dealer with the same NO potential?

My problem with the Heartland Family of Products is their almost non-existant service network and their poor to sometimes non-existant QC. Springs should not be breaking, tires should not be exploding, axles breaking and on and on. A flat tire should not cost you thousands of dollars to repair because Rajit had a bad day in Bangaladesh or that Mao wants to figure out how to stick it to the Americans one more time. They don't call them China Bombs for nothing.

With the economy the way that it is...and the way the employment market is in Elkhart...I'd be having a little Monday morning "Come to Jesus" meeting with the QA/QC boys and explain the facts of "continued employment" life to them.

I've been under my trailer and was not a hapy camper at what I saw. And, I've seen a lot of pictures posted here about work done under the trailer. I'd like one of the QC boys to spend a few minutes in the mud with me and explain how it left the factory this way. No owner should have to spend days under his RV re-routing cables, lines and electrical wires.

Throwing stuff in and covering it up with a cardboard lid, all the while hoping no one ever saw what was there, ain't no way to do business. There is no excuse for some of this stuff.

I don't want to hear about how it's not cost effective to do something.. not, when I'm telling you how cost uneffective it's going to be by NOT doing it. This is MY money you're talking about...my RV should not be your "DO OVER". I paid cash for this thing..I should not to pay even more cash to correct factory foul-ups. I don't want to hear how much more it would cost to do it right the first time. I don't care how nothing is perfect. What I want is what I paid for..a high quality, reasonably trouble free product. All-in-all...I ain't seen it yet. As of this post, there are 35% of the respondents are thrilled s****ss...lemme see...100 - 35 = 65%...so 65% are a little less than thrilled s*****ss.

Believe me, I'm just LIVING for the time this thing rolls out on the road for the first time with me behind the wheel. If based on the complaints I've seen on this Forum, I may be in big trouble. I definitely will have my car charger for my fake leg.

Ok, if you want to cuss me out...do it via PM. Responses will be returned in the tenor received.

Now, put that in your survey. The rest of you feel free to fire away.

It's ok, Jim...call me...I'm up real early every morning.

Last edited:

geeksrus

One of the things that I've found out about surveys is that they cause a lot of dissention in the ranks. You got your I hate it...you got your I love it..and you got your I dunno groups. If you love it you're stupid...if you hate it, you're stupid. God have mercy on the people that fall in between.

Every product has problems, that is true. But, there are also problems that should not have to be addressed on a new RV. They should be caught by the QA/QC process. Y'know..do it right, check your work...get it right...in the shape it's in when it goes out the door, would I buy this?

I just see to many things that make me wonder. I'm in this thing 24 hours a day unless I"m out at the VA. So, I have lots of time to find things. As it stands right now, I'd have to give it a lot of thought one way or the other. Maybe if I oversaw the entire construction process....

You should not have to call the factory to have them find you a repair facility when the guy next door sells heartlands. If they will not support the product they should not be allowed to sell it. I've taken trucks bought in Houston to dealers in Fairbanks (Chev and IH) and got my repair work done. No questions asked. I may have had to make an appointment...but, I got my service work done. Hauling a Silverado or a IH Scout in for a door adjustment is just a little thing compared with having to drag a 20,000 pound house on wheels around city traffic because Luigi ran out of the right screws and used the wrong ones..cause he was too lazy to go to the screw bin.

My biggest concern is having this beast breakdown on the road, and be told they only service what they sell. What do I do then? Will Good Sam tow me 100+ miles to another dealer with the same NO potential?

My problem with the Heartland Family of Products is their almost non-existant service network and their poor to sometimes non-existant QC. Springs should not be breaking, tires should not be exploding, axles breaking and on and on. A flat tire should not cost you thousands of dollars to repair because Rajit had a bad day in Bangaladesh or that Mao wants to figure out how to stick it to the Americans one more time. They don't call them China Bombs for nothing.

With the economy the way that it is...and the way the employment market is in Elkhart...I'd be having a little Monday morning "Come to Jesus" meeting with the QA/QC boys and explain the facts of "continued employment" life to them.

I've been under my trailer and was not a hapy camper at what I saw. And, I've seen a lot of pictures posted here about work done under the trailer. I'd like one of the QC boys to spend a few minutes in the mud with me and explain how it left the factory this way. No owner should have to spend days under his RV re-routing cables, lines and electrical wires.

Throwing stuff in and covering it up with a cardboard lid, all the while hoping no one ever saw what was there, ain't no way to do business. There is no excuse for some of this stuff.

I don't want to hear about how it's not cost effective to do something.. not, when I'm telling you how cost uneffective it's going to be by NOT doing it. This is MY money you're talking about...my RV should not be your "DO OVER". I paid cash for this thing..I should not to pay even more cash to correct factory foul-ups. I don't want to hear how much more it would cost to do it right the first time. I don't care how nothing is perfect. What I want is what I paid for..a high quality, reasonably trouble free product. All-in-all...I ain't seen it yet. As of this post, there are 35% of the respondents are thrilled s****ss...lemme see...100 - 35 = 65%...so 65% are a little less than thrilled s*****ss.

Believe me, I'm just LIVING for the time this thing rolls out on the road for the first time with me behind the wheel. If based on the complaints I've seen on this Forum, I may be in big trouble. I definitely will have my car charger for my fake leg.

Ok, if you want to cuss me out...do it via PM. Responses will be returned in the tenor received.

Now, put that in your survey. The rest of you feel free to fire away.

It's ok, Jim...call me...I'm up real early every morning.

In the main, I AGREE! Eh!

Rickhansen

I'll stand with Lefty on this.

Morning Lefty,
Well said.

We've been full-time for about 14 months in our 3670, and have been very pleased and had zero warranty repairs/calls. We could have had probably 30 calls, except I'd rather take care of the minor stuff myself. That gives me something to do, understanding, and is far easier than getting the rig to a dealer and hoping they fix it without breaking something else.

We would definitely consider Heartland again and do feel like they do provide a better value than other manufacturers. Heartland needs to keep in mind however, that there are plenty of hungry competitors left out there and they will keep coming after you.

I've been through the basement wall several times and am ashamed that anyone would intentionally build a rat's nest like that. For $20 worth of tie-wraps and panduit and 15 minutes of additional labor, all the plumbing, wiring, and ductwork could have been properly routed and supported. That would have added 10 times the value to the owner, and provided for some level of ability to troubleshoot and service for the life of the coach. At this point, it is virtually impossible to correct it, we've seen that several other have spent weeks of their own labor in effort to do it.

The same for Heartlands engineering. This site has official ties to the factory. They should read all of the forums. The TimK's "Vent-Tent" saga reaches back for how long? Yet, here shortly as we approach warm weather season, you will see that thread resurrected with owners complaining that 2010 models A/C's are noisey and inadequate in 90 degree temps. Diito for the fall, when their water lines begin to freeze overnight below 30 degrees outside.

It also extends to the vendors and suppliers. Heartland is big enough that they can drive many of the supply chain issues. Like Sealand's toilet seals that fail every 4 months, China Bombs, and Tank Level Sensors that just do not work. Like, overhead light fixtures that are reminiscent of RV's from 30 years ago.

The factory and the engineers need to employ some simple QC and Continous Improvement philosophies into their daily processes. This site and Heartland's warranty claims should be the key means for feedback into that process. This provides the difference between a great product and one that looks great on the showroom floor.

Many owners perform "mods" to accomodate their own individual tastes and needs. Look at the countless threads on digital/programmable thermostats, adding satellite wiring to accomodate DVR's, and Networks, whatever. Maybe 50% of the owners would never want two satellite lines in the bedroom, but what is the costs during manufacturing, four bucks? Heartland can use the data from this site to find ways to provide more value in their products, for very little cost.

The Dealers and Service Netwoks are Heartland's front lines. The customers are Heartlands bottom line. It's always better to keep an existing customer than find a new one, particularly when the ones you lost are out there working against you. We all understand that there must be a balance between features and quality, and the marketability and affordability of the products. Many of these ideas could be implemented through waste reductions and lowered warranty costs. Many ideas could be offered as low cost options.

We've seen the changes in the industry in the last year or two. NuWa, Teton, etc. gone. Heartland product provide many of the features of these former competitors at a much lower price point in the market. That appears to be a good recipe for Heartland's success, but you can't stop there. You still have plenty of good competition at your current price point. Rest assured, they are hungry and they will keep coming.

rckc228

Just ordered my second. The small problems have been taking care of by Heartland. The dealerships on the other hand , need some serious training. Both in customer satisfaction and technical knowledge of the rigs.

I have had my new Sundance 310QB for exactly two weeks!! As apparently with all Heartlands, I had to tighten some of the plumbing connections. One trim panel came off during the 100 mile trip home. Yesterday, I discovered that the grey water waste gate wont open. Also, when I got it home, I discovered that one of the leveling jacks was bent. ( Not caused by me)
All of these things took less than 30 mins and $30 to correct. It was certainly not worth a 200 hundred mile round trip back to the dealer. If you want perfect, buy a Prevost. Otherwise, realize that these things are manmade and take a tremendous beating on the road. I am happy with my purchase and would buy one again.:)

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
I have had my new Sundance 310QB for exactly two weeks!! As apparently with all Heartlands, I had to tighten some of the plumbing connections. One trim panel came off during the 100 mile trip home. Yesterday, I discovered that the grey water waste gate wont open. Also, when I got it home, I discovered that one of the leveling jacks was bent. ( Not caused by me)
All of these things took less than 30 mins and $30 to correct. It was certainly not worth a 200 hundred mile round trip back to the dealer. If you want perfect, buy a Prevost. Otherwise, realize that these things are manmade and take a tremendous beating on the road. I am happy with my purchase and would buy one again.:)

I've been parked next to a Prevost for several months now...and trust me, they are not perfect either. As for my Heartland and quality control...I've probably had some of the worst problems that they have sent down the line. Heartland has stepped up to take care of all the big problems, especially since they were well beyond what ANY dealer could have dealt with. The smaller things we've taken care of by us...dealers are pretty much useless.

I too believe that many of the things could have been avoided by better quality control...and hopefully Heartland is working on improving in that area. However, until the industry employees robots instead of employees...it is what it is...a "manmade" product!

All that said, we've lived in this unit for almost two years...and it still looks pretty much new inside and out. Now that the "bugs" have been pretty much worked out, our Heartland has become a great unit! We have faith that Heartland is going to address these problems and start to develop a product that comes off the line with less and less problems...if they don't they will only be shooting themselves in the foot...and our experience, so far, is that they listen to their customers...HOPEFULLY THEY ARE LISTENING NOW!!!

Would we buy another one, right now yes...however, if we don't start seeing significant changes in the QC...that could change in the future:eek:

cjbearden

Visitor
Ditto everything Sister Kathy said!!! The wiring throughout the coaches needs to be significantly improved! More attention needs to be paid to decal application on the exterior! Fender skirt bracing needs to be installed properly so skirts don't crack or strip off in wind. Stop messing with the rusty springs and use IS suspension, never lube hubs and disc brakes on all units. Have JT's pre-installed on units. Sure it adds to cost of unit; but, duh, we are paying for them at greater cost aftermarket!!!

Honestly, I think line changes are occurring so rapidly due to frequent design implementations and year model changes, that line techs are not keeping up with the expertise needed to do a great job, not just fairly passable, but I mean EXCELLENT! They get used to performing their jobs one way and then BOHICA hits with a line change. If HL isn't providing proper tech education, then all the changes are not going to be installed properly as evidenced by the numerous PDI repairs that are required. To HL's credit, some things are the fault of their suppliers but it would be nice if the supplied items were checked to see if they actually work before installing them. HL owners need to get out of their offices and live in some of their products for a month and see what we are talking about.

davebennington

If I was a lot younger and wanted/needed a newer coach I would opt for a Heartland product. That said at our age we would seriously look at a class A or large C unit. Right now we still have a few good years left to camp and enjoy our cassic Landmark/Golden Gate.

Tom of Ypsi

After last years fall rally in Spring, Tx we were surrounded by Prevost's for their rally. Most if not all needed some sort of repairs including the ones that were brought in for show. Prevost Rally.jpg Nice coaches but a little out of my league for the moment.

HL needs to step up on QC especially in these rough times. Relying on a dealer is no longer an option.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
CJ Wrote:

"To HL's credit, some things are the fault of their suppliers but it would be nice if the supplied items were checked to see if they actually work before installing them. HL owners need to get out of their offices and live in some of their products for a month and see what we are talking about."

That's the funny part about our rig...to date, we've only had one "supplier" failure, and that was a spring early on. We've not had a problem with any components in the unit...oh, correction...the Olevia TV died and has been buried. :rolleyes: Other than that, every component in the unit works beautifully...even the Apollo convection/mircowave, even after almost two years of continuous use.

Every major problem we've had has been a Heartland "build" issue. People just not paying attention to what they are doing...and no one checking to make sure things were done properly...this needs to be addressed, and if it adds to the cost...so be it!! I'd rather pay a little more up front than to have to deal with real problems after the fact.:(

Just improving the QC issue that Heartland has will help to catupult them right past the competition...can't imagine the cost of such improvment wouldn't be more than made up with greatly increased sales...JMHO!!:D

bill40

I agree with Leftyf it is based on hate or love depending on your unit. Unfortunately we have not been able to put the miles on our BC as our previous units so it is hard to rate how it will hold up after umpteen thousand miles. It does come down to Quality Control and based on the same type of problems brought up on the fourm this appears to be the number one problem.If problems come up in early year production the same thing should not happen in late year production or the following year units. Not even going to comment on the tire thing.
The dealer problem needs to looked into, if they are not getting paid(the excuse many of us got. After did you buy it here?) for warranty work ,that's a big problem.As I found there are going to be problems, carry tools , report them to the manufacturer, they will either learn or lose out in the long run. In Retail word of mouth can be more damming that anything.

svd

Overall, we are happy with our unit. I do think Lefty makes a good point. I have spent many hours changing and correcting things, like adding a brace to the fresh water tank, JT's, replacing tires, digital thermstat, the tent in the vent mod, extra rollers in the bedroom slide, opening up the roof A/C ducts and sealing them up, and so on. I am very handy, so they issues were not a big deal for me, but for someone who isn't, it would be a nightmare.

I have had the bottom cover off several times to repair issues, and the wiring behind the storge area panels really is a mess. I have to believe there would be considerable savings by routing wiring properly. There is alot of extra wire in there. I do have an older unit, but it is dissapointing to see these same problems reported on units several years newer.

I think an owners manual that tells us how the unit is built in terms of A/V wiring, water lines, what the various valves do, would be helpful. I was able to figure it out, but again for someone not handy with tools, a big problem.

Dusty

With a broken frame, fixed under warranty, a broken spring and spring shackles, and a host of minor problems i fixed my self, I still like my Bighorn. Would I buy another one if I were in the market today??, Yeah, but not the biggest think I could haul. I would down size some.