Sticky slideout seals

Elevatorman

Have for the last few days been doing the "spring cleaning" thing. Roof clean and treatment, wash and wax. Noticed while on the roof that when I opened the slides the top seals seemed to be stuck to the flanges on the slides. The largest slide even pulled the seal partially out of it's track. This seal looks as if it has broken down somehow like a petroleum substance has got on it. For a fact I know I haven't, and I don't think there is anyway it happened in the storage lot. Short of the county spraying for mosquitoes maybe?
I've treated the seals with 303 protectant, and scrubbed the flanges to get rid of the sticky residue from the deteriorated (I guess) seals. Unit was in storage for only 3 1/2 months.

Is there something I was supposed to, or can, put on the seals, before storage, to prevent this from happening? Or before closing the slides again?
Has anybody run into this problem and come up with a solution for it?

Also have noticed a few small bubbles on the roof that looks like the roof material has come "unstuck" so to speak. Wondering about that also.
Great first spring huh? Still love my baby, just worried about her!! thanks

tmcran

I use the silicone foam spray and then wipe off the excess. I have had no sticking. I like to use the foam as i can see where I spray.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Just a guess, but did you spend a lot of time before putting it in storage parked under pine trees (or any trees for that matter)? And did you give it a thorough cleaning BEFORE you put it in storage? When we're at our seasonal site during the summer, it doesn't take long for sticky tree sap to build up on my truck. The BH is sitting under it all summer. I sprayed my seals with CRC Silicone the middle of last summer and they are fine. Slide toppers protect the top surfaces of the slide from most of that tree juice. As for small bubbles in the roof material, I think that is considered normal and they tend to relax back to flat on their own as temperatures fluctuate.

Elevatorman

JohnDar that might be it. I haven't thought of that but now that you mention it, the roof is dotted all over with small gray spots that came after this spring. We had an early and heavy spring this year, plus I guess the sap from last fall was no help also. Camped under pines last year several times, trees are behind it nearby in storage, so I guess a liberal coating of the silicone spray that tmcran mentioned might be the answer. I wonder if an application of silicone to the slides could help also. The seals are rough feeling, but not torn, where they stuck and I supposed they will have to be replaced soon. Thanks.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I like the 303 better than the silicone , mighy try cleaning the seals real good and apply another coat or two. I would also put a coat on the sides of your slides ,when you have them out.......Kenny