Outside Speakers are Leaking

810ajm

Just noticed that the outside wall is delaminating under both outside speakers on our 2010 305RW. Great!!!!! How the heck do they repair delamination?

Last edited:
D

dlpmx

Not sure how they fix it but I'll know pretty quick as I just saw the whole back corner on mine doing the same thing.Just waiting for them to open to call.

Dale

D

dlpmx

Well the dealer has pictures and is sending to Heartland.The dealer says the only way to fix this right is to replace the whole left side of the coach.I'm not sure I'm in favor of this sounds like alot of work(and time) and will it be structuraly sound after.I think if it's not water related a 2'x8' foot piece of aluminium diamond plate attached behind the ladder will fix it and look like it belongs there for side protection behind the ladder.This fix would save thousands of dollars.

As for the speaker fix the local auto stereo store had some plastic cones that fit over the back of speakers.These could be glued in the holes to keep water out from behind the wall.(never had mine out so I'm not sure if their already in place)

Dale

gpshemi

Years ago I had foam cones that went behind speakers like that. They worked out pretty well for me. However, if water gets in behind the screw hole locations, it doesn't matter. It'll work it's way in the screw pockets and start the troubles. I noticed on mine this weekend that the caulk is pulling away from the speaker. I'd guess there's a difference in expansion and contraction going on there. I'm going to recaulk it and maybe put a dab of black RTV in the screw holes for grins.

D

dlpmx

Found out why mine was delaminating.Seems the factory forgot to caulk the rear seams on both sides under the trim and water was getting in.

Well I thought I'd know this a lot sooner but I can now tell you how they fix the delamination problem.They take apart the bad area piece by piece.Then they rebuild with the original layers,Foam, plywood,fiberglass. The repaired area looks very nice.I have 2 new trim pieces on the sides where they cut.These look OK and don't bother me too much.The part I'm concerned with is they had to paint an area.I believe the paint will fade at a different rate than the fiberglass.They said they put a decal over the split between paint and fiberglass so it won't be noticeable. I'll wash the coach tomorrow and see if I can make it match a little better.All in all I'm pretty happy with the repair.

The part I'm not to happy with is over 7 months to get it fixed. Phone calls that were supposed to "get back to you" were never made.Over 800 miles driven to 4 different repair shops to finally get it repaired.800 miles,10 miles to the gallon,3.50-4.00 per gallon .You can do the math, not to mention the hours of my time to do it. I spent all the money I had saved to add upgrades to my coach to buy fuel to haul it everywhere.

Don't get me wrong I love my Road warrior.
The repairing dealer gets a B+ on the fix (because I'm not too sure on the fading)
Heartland warranty gets a D- for the time and run around.

So in the end I finally have my coach ready for this summer and I never have to bother with the warranty dept again as my coach is now out of warranty.Now to start saving for the wifes central vac and a washer/dryer again.

Dale