LP regulator leaking?

ct0218

Checked the LP tanks yesterday to see if one needed refilling. Haven't had to refill a tank since we bought the it, so I knew it had to be getting low. Sure enough, the indicator was red, but had not changed over to the other tank. I manually turned it to the other tank, closed the valve, unscrewed it placed the tank in my truck. About 15 minutes later I walked by the compartment and closed the door I had left open and I could smell LP. Not a lot, but just enough to smell a few feet away. Has anyone else had that happen? Prior auto-changeover regulators I have had sealed when the valve was changed, no LP odor after just a few seconds, but 15 minutes seems a little long. I decided to reconnect the tank since it would have been a couple of hours before I could return with a full tank. I'll try again when I can make a quick trip. Anyone else experience this?

Phil Smith

Retired South Carolina Chapter Leader
I haven't experienced what you have described however I would take some soapy water to all of the connections and look for bubbles and try to find any potential leaks.

Phil

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
fireflipper

Hi ct0218
I have smelled the gas after changing tanks for awhile, but found no leaks. I would take the tank off and check for leaks, if you cannot find any than you are good to go. Also if the regulator did not switch to the opposite tank it may be faulty. The indicator will stay red until you manually switch, but you should still have gas.

nhunter

On our Bighorn 3600RL you can't open one tank without the other one being hooked up or else propane comes out the other hose? Doesn't seen right.

ct0218

The only time I smell gas is when one tank is off. When both are connected, no odor. Sounds like it doesn't seal good at the changeover valve, and is leaking out the end of the hose. Maybe they do that now, never had one do that on previous RV's.

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
fireflipper

The regulator and change over valve are one piece. It may be bad, have the dealer check it and change it out if needed.

Flatop

Interested Member
Similar Problem

I believe we are having the same problem with the LP gas system. The main bottle on the drivers side of the trailer and the changeover value have no odors around them today. We continue to have a heavy LP odor on the passenger side (curbside)of the trailer (2007 Landmark Grand Canyon). We have soaped up the lines,fittings, tank and value and can not find a leak. Does not matter if we have changed out a bottle or not. You can open up the compartment door and have the odor and when it is warmer outside you can smell the odor in the underbelly storage compartment area. Anyone else having this problem.

ChopperBill

Our off door side regulator had a leak at the fitting. I was only connected finger tight. We had a "smell" in our bed room for a couple of days before I found it. Believe me even though propane is heavier than air it can, under the right conditions such a breeze blowing, migrate to the living quarters. PLEASE check yours even if you cant seem to smell anything. It only takes a few minutes.

Forrest Fetherolf

Flatop,
When checking for propane leaks, check the regulator on the door side. My regulator was leaking at the seam where the diaphragm is sandwiched. I opened the regulator and found that the diaphragm was not sealing properly. Most likely the diaphram was not assembled properly from the getgo. I was able to reassemble the regulator diaphragm and eliminated the leak. No parts were required. I purchased a propane leak detector from Camping Word for about $24. The soap and water will work, also.

vangoes

I have been having the propane smell in the offdoor side also. I leaks/smells with either bottle open. No leaks appear around the fittings when soaped up so I believe the swithover valve or regulator is leaking.