Proper way to hook Weight Distribution Hitch?

mamajudy

We just purchased our Edge trailer and I went to pick it up. They had already hooked up the sway bar and the weight distribution bars when they brought my truck around. When I unhooked then rehooked up next time had a little trouble, so what I need to know is what steps to doing this? Do I hook up to hitch first, then wdb, then the sway bar? And when unhooking what order. Thanks for any help.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The way I did my Forest River TT was to lower the tongue until it almost rested on the ball. Then insert the weight distribution bars into the receivers on the hitch and then pull them tight on the trailer tongue, followed by fully lowering the trailer onto the hitch ball. Last item was to connect the anti-sway bar. To unhook, I took off the anti-sway first, after loosening it. Unlock the ball latch, then dropped the tongue jack until the trailer just started to lift (and the back end of the truck moved up slightly with it). Release the weight distribution bars from the tongue and the truck dropped slightly. Continue jacking up trailer until the truck could be pulled forward.

Do both operations with the trailer wheels chocked and the stabilizer jacks retracted. Only use the tongue jack for raising and lowering onto the hitch ball. If everything is set up properly, your trailer and truck should be level when hitched together.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
The way I did my Forest River TT was to lower the tongue until it almost rested on the ball. Then insert the weight distribution bars into the receivers on the hitch and then pull them tight on the trailer tongue, followed by fully lowering the trailer onto the hitch ball. Last item was to connect the anti-sway bar. To unhook, I took off the anti-sway first, after loosening it. Unlock the ball latch, then dropped the tongue jack until the trailer just started to lift (and the back end of the truck moved up slightly with it). Release the weight distribution bars from the tongue and the truck dropped slightly. Continue jacking up trailer until the truck could be pulled forward.

Do both operations with the trailer wheels chocked and the stabilizer jacks retracted. Only use the tongue jack for raising and lowering onto the hitch ball. If everything is set up properly, your trailer and truck should be level when hitched together.

How about making a WIKI submission of your post.

RollingHome

mamajudy, I would go back to the dealer and ask them to give you hitching instructions. This should have been done as part of the sale and for free ! You also need to know that if you do the wrong thing you can be seriously injured (as in broken bones). Ask the dealer to go over that with you too. I'm not trying to scare you, I am trying to keep you from getting hurt. There exist different brands of WDH and each brand has it's unique way to hook up. I really am reluctant to give you the steps in this forum because I believe you need to actually see it done, not be told how it's done. It's just too easy to get hurt and none of us want that, Please, call your dealer and arrange for some "how to time with their tech" and take notes. Tom

mamajudy

Thanks Tom Ishould of made them do that when I got the trailer But really didn't realize it would be such an issue for me have hooked up lots of things before and thought "oh I can figure this out" . thanks for the advise I definitely don't want to ruin my camping season with injuries! Judy

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
mamajudy, I've only had 2 travel trailers but one of my first purchases was an electric tongue jack. You can't imagine how much easier this will make things. Like JohnDar, have your trailer wheels chocked. The rest is a bit different and this is also assuming the dealer has your hitch ball height and angle adjusted right. I was using a round bar hitch.

Raise the trailer and line up the tow vehicle and drop the hitch on the ball far enough to latch the hitch ball. Lock it up. Use the jack to raise the trailer above level. After it's a couple inches above level, insert the bars and using the leverage bar that came with the hitch, hook the chains to the trailer but don't put much tension on them. Do the same for the other side. Put the safety clips on the chain latches. Lower the trailer jack until all the weight is off the jack. The end result should be: Trailer and tow vehicle level and the hitch bars parallel to the frame of the trailer. If all is not level you will need to use more or less tension on the bars. Once you get the right height figured out, mark the chain link on both sides of the rig so you can use the same link every time. Again, proper ball height and angle are essential with a round bar hitch.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I'll recant my information just a bit. My dealer had everything set up properly when we came out to leave and showed me what to do. Score more points for General RV, Birch Run.

Dave012

So I looked at the Curt website, and I couldn't see instructions for it. Their systems appear to be the chain style WDB, which is what I'm used to and I could give you instructions, but the difference is the Sway bar, which I never had. I agree with Rays's instructions for the basic hitch and WDB, but not sure about whether there is something special for the Sway bar.

Best thing to do is go to the dealer as Tom suggests and get them to give you instructions, or show you on another trailer.

Last, don't forget to attach the safety chains, and cross them under the tongue of the trailer.

All of the posts are correct here. You have to note the configuration of your truck and tailer when hooked up and then make sure you use the same number of links each time. Now, as far as the sway bar goes, it's quite simple. NEVER back up with the sway bar installed. You will not be able to make the maneuvers you need with it installed and break it up. The sway bar should be installed with the truck and trailer straight. No angles if you can help it. Once you are hooked up and straight, install the sway brace and tighten it down. You will be good to go. You just need to remember that parallel is key when installing your WDH. The bars should always be parallel to the truck and trailer frames and to make sure you are no over arching the bars. If you do, you will wear out the hitch head prematurely. Now, the last thing to check is the angle of the ball on the hitch head when it's installed with your trailer. This angle is important to prevent the tongue from hitting the hitch when you are towing.

Good luck and I hope all of our little bits of information help you out.

mamajudy

Thanks to all of you for your information. Maybe I can get this done now with no problems. Called dealer yesterday and hooked up after talking to them and seemed to get it done okay. Find out Friday cause going camping whether it rains or not. Tired of camper sitting in drive and not at some campground! again thank you all for your help.