Shore Power Connector

I love my 2010 M22, but the shore power connector is one of the few things I generally don't like about the unit. A few questions and some design feedback as follows.

2010 M22, my shore power connector has a twist lock connector with a threaded plastic ring on the connector. It is difficult for me to install the connector such that it feels secure.

Using only the twist lock feature on the pins does not 'feel' secure enough. The threads on the plastic ring are very fine. Additionally on the connector mounted to the trailer the fine threads have several places where they are cut out. At first I thought this connector was broken, but it appears the picture on the Edge Gallery also shows cut outs in the threads.

So a few questions:
-Are the threads on the connector intended to be cut out in several places?
-If so, what is the purpose of these cut outs?
-What is the purpose of the ring on the cable connector if the connection is already a twist lock?
-Is it necessary to use both the twist lock and the finely threaded ring?

Design feedback (my opinion):
-I wish a the connector was a firm twist lock or plug in type outlet.
-The fine thread on a plastic connection is difficult to start and tighten.
-Maybe I have overly large fingers, but when I'm trying to thread the ring onto the connector cover is constantly scraping my hands.

Note - In the picture of the 30A shore connector in the Edge Gallery, the ring is missing from the cable connector.

Thanks factory!

jnbhobe

That is the standard Marinco plug. The best in the industry. Put the twist lock in then turn the black ring till it drops in a set of slots then turn it tight. do the reverse to un hook. Really simple setup

RollingHome

HL does not make the cord end; they buy it from a supplier and install it. This type cord has been around for years and is industry standard for marine use (walk down a dock and you'll see many in use) and industrial use, I believe it is a NEMA standard. The purpose of the plastic fine threaded ring is to make the connection more weather tight and as added retention of the connection. The outer plastic ring also breaks easily and is difficult to replace. It usually breaks by over tightening. The twist-lock connection (curved blades) is also industry standard and is NEMA standard. The twist-Loc provides more security then you believe, I can't ever remember one coming loose and disconnecting. I've also lost count how many I used. You may want to apply a little silicone grease (aka dielectric grease) to the blades and threads to make things go together with more ease. I clean my blades and apply grease in the beginning of the season and as needed, a little dab will do ya. Using a twist-lock cord end is usually a sign of quality and care because they cost more than standard straight blade cord ends. Hope this eases some of your concerns. By the way, I do not care for the other cord end which is RV standard. I have a 50 amp straight blade end and it takes a gorilla to plug in and out, even with lube. The 30 amp and 50 amp RV plugs and receptacles are NOT industry standard outside of the wonderful world of RV's. Tom