Necessities for new BC 3450TS

rmckee6

We are conducting the PDI this week and taking delivery of our first 5th wheel this weekend. Since we are new to the RV world what necessities do we need for operating a new 5th wheel? I know we need a water hose and a sewer hose, what else is recommended?

Bobby

cjbearden

Visitor
Water regulator to control water pressure - too many variances at the various parks. Progressive surge protector to connect power lead into before hooking up to park's power - very important for preventing unwanted surges and frying some important internal items like microwave, fridge, TV, computer, etc. Water filter system highly recommended and in some cases a water softener system.

Extra water hoses and connectors, minor hand tools, extra fuses for fuse box, extra sewer hose and proper sewer hose connectors, recommended to have a back flush connector for the sewer hose, Oxygenics shower head http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/product/oxygenics-body-spa-rv-showerheads/5006. Look through the Camping World website and you will get the idea. Understand that you may not be able to buy all the basics at once. Take your time and see what works for you.

Some folks carry a compact air compressor to have a ready source for maintaining proper tire pressure on truck and trailer - very important to keep this checked prior to each trip. Tire pressure Monitoring System like Pressure Pro http://www.pressureprosystem.com/ has saved many of us from unwanted damage to the RV caused by tire blowout or quick drops in tire pressure due to nail puncture or whatever.

Folding chairs, small outdoor folding table, Weber BabyQ grill (or your choice). Just think about the things that will make outdoor sitting fun and comfortable. Lots of resolutions to the world's problems conducted during the evening pow-wows around a campfire or grill!!

You will also need some type of sewer treatment product to put in the commode after each dump of the black tank to keep down on inside sewer odors. Special toilet paper. We like to use Angel Soft which indicates on the package that it is septic tank safe. If in doubt, place a piece of the toilet paper in a glass of water. Let it sit a minute or two, then stir the contents. If the paper shreds easily and almost looks like it is disintegrating, then it is safe to use.

Coffee maker, crockpot, your choice of eating utensils (many use plastic forks and spoons purchased at Sam's or Costco), paper plates and bowls and plastic cups. Of course, if you are into washing dishes, you can carry Corelle and silverware for the special occasions. You might want to get a roll or two of the rubber grip, non-slip, shelf liner which can be cut to desire lengths to use in wrapping any glassware or placing between plates, cups, etc.

A ladder appropriate to your RV's height that will enable you to properly check slide tops for unwanted debris prior to retracting slides. You will periodically need to check the roof for possible tears, etc. depending on how much you park under trees.

Will you have a satellite system for your TVs or will you depend on park cable? Do you have an air card to use with your computer for internet access?

Others will jump in with their individual recommendations. We hope you have a wonderful camping experience for many years to come. Be sure you take your time on the PDI, take videos if possible to remember how to operate the various controls and valves for the different tanks, how to winterize and un-winterize should you need to do so. There are other threads on this forum that fully explain what you need to know for the PDI.

CJ

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Bobby, as C J stated, get the normal things that you have at home only smaller and lighter. No cast iron wash tubs. Another good place to shop at is Wal-Mart. They have lots of RV accessories. Plates...plastic...coffee cups ...plastic...you get the picture. Heavy pots and pans...never in upper cabinets. Ponytail rubber bands to keep cupboard doors shut. We carry 30' of sewer hose with quick connects, 2 15' water hoses. NEVER EVER use your the white hoses to flush your sewer with. Get a dedicated hose for that. Plastic bins to keep stuff organized in the basement. You will get more input i'm sure...maybe tooo much. You will end up with brain overload. 2 things to remember. 1. you are camping. No one cares if you use plastic forks with paper plates on the plastic holders. 2. your new condo on wheels is a rolling earthquake. No glass if possible.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
We had plastic plates and cups, but went to Corelle instead. You don't need a dinner service for 20, either. Basically, read these forums, ask questions, and have a credit card with a high limit on it. You'll need it 'cuz you'll see more doo-dads and modifications than you can shake a stick at. You can get into generators, surge suppressors, JT Stabilizers (or equivalent), slide toppers, water filtration, window awnings, ground mats, screen tents, you name it. Oh yeah, for a utility hose (washing the rig), the self-coiling hoses are great and easy to store. Don't be cheap on the sewer hoses, either, or you might end up with a sprinkler system when you least want it.

B

bwwalczak

To me, it is amazing how much STUFF my wife can fit in our rig.

Bob&Patty

Bob and Bryan, Im very sure that we have all these bowling balls and bricks in the front closet just in case. I'm speculating that it will be for the time we have to float the Horn down a river. We can use them as ballist. Maybe the 4 brooms can be used as oar's. I think I have found what to use for a rudder( extra table).

jimtoo

I think I will invite the Ladies in (wives) to comment on who has the most "STUFF". I don't need to worry about it my self, but let's just let the ladies make a post or two.

OK Jim M

archbarb

When I look at all my "stuff", I realize that indeed, I have been acutely aware of weight. Pots and pans, yes, but mine are a cheaper, lightweight type. Corelle is my choice for dinnerware since I don't like paper (or foam) plates, etc. I try to be a little earth friendly. I bring paper napkins but still prefer cloth...again earth friendly. I'm not a tree hugger but I try to do my part! Instead of a heavy food processor, I use a lightweight food chopper. I also use a hand crank mixer instead of the electric cousin.My coffee pot is a small electric unlike the big one at home. I also carry a microwave safe french press coffeemaker for the (many) times I need a "quick fix". Polycarbonate glassware is good by me. I love to look at all the gadgets in housewares at IKEA thinking about rving.
Since we are giving up our North Trail for a BC, I have been sorting through stuff and putting it in bins for the long trip up to Elkhart. I am making a conscious effort to minimize weight but sometimes a girl's gotta have what a girl needs! Bathroom needs for us girls generally means a lot of "primping" stuff...for me, I stick to bare essentials...a little makeup, and no blow dryer! I learned as a youngster that backpacking through Europe was tough when you had to have your electric curlers! For me, you are gonna have to take me as I am!!! BTW, I do take deodorant and soap!!!!!
I think, in general, that I am very aware of weight. I'm not always on the mark but I try.
Barb

Bob&Patty

That the Lord that Barb is not the kind to have a quart of bondo and a trowel in her makeup bag. Bondo is heavy. Patty has one of those powder puff thingys...a compact I think.

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
We just took our first trip in our new rv last weekend to make a list of overlooked necessities for our big trip coming up at the end of the month and the two things on my list not mentioned so far are a brush with a long handle to wash the outside (these things sure do get grungy fast) and a road side safety kit just in case.

wdk450

Usually the dealer will give you a "starter" kit with a water hose, a cheap sewer hose, some black tank chemicals, and some "RV" toilet paper.
If you want to make your towing experience tolerable, consider getting a shock absorbing pinbox upgrade. Add to that a TrailAir Centerpoint airbag suspension. Have an independent 3rd party RV repairer evaluate your springs and suspension after your 2nd or 3rd trip, while you are still in warranty.

Happy RVing!!!