Thermostat

sjrellis

Hi, All! Our thermostat is not working properly. Being in Ohio, we are still needing the heat on some days. The thermostat does not come on if you slide it up...but, if you slide it down and then back up, it will come on. So, I'm thinking the easiest fix would be to just replace it(?). Is it just a normal thermostat that can be bought at a big box store? Go digital? Suggestions, please!
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Pick up a Hunter 4299B digital thermostat at WalMart and replace that analog piece of junk. It's a simple modification and will allow you to actually program the temperature range you want to keep your rig at.

Here's a link for the instructions to do it: http://www.modmyrv.com/2008/07/14/rv-digital-thermostat

Turn off the shore power and 12V power while you're making the connections or you might accidently turn on the furnace fan in the process. Not a big deal, but a bit unnerving when you don't expect it. DAMHIKT.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Sandra, We replaced our t'stat with the same one as JohnDar is suggesting. It is a digital t'stat but it's not programmable. You have to set it to the temp you want for heat and change it when you need to for the a/c. On the plus side it is easy to use and seems very accurate. We also did the switch on the bottom for the fan speed. I don't know if a programmable t'stat will work in the RV because the heat and a/c are 2 completely different systems. Maybe an HVAC knowledgeable member will chime in on that.

JohnDar

Perhaps "programmable" is a misnomer. With the Hunter, you can enter in the temperature you want and it will attempt to maintain it +/- 3 degrees. At least you can see what temperature it's at, unlike that analog toy. It works very well for us.

sjrellis

Thanks guys. I'll add it to my WM list!
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

JohnDar

Now that Ray has tossed the programmable word out there, I wonder if a truly programmable thermostat would function in our rigs. From my experience with one in our previous home, it's basically an electronic clock that turns on the A/C or furnace at preset times to preset temperatures. My guess is that it would function, but would it really be of any benefit in a RV?

fhollan

I got rid of the analog thermostat last year and replaced it with the Hunter digital. There was one part of the instructions I had last year which I questioned where it stated "One switch wire is soldered to the base of terminal G on the back of the circuit board." I didn't want to place a soldering iron on the circuit board and take a chance of damaging it. Instead I hooked it directly to the G terminal on the strip of the base plate. It worked fine and it made a difference, heat and A/C.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
OK boys and girls...
I haven't gotten to the point of actually buying the Hunter 4299B thermostat. I have looked in almost all the Wal-Marts I went in and still have not found the thermostat.

I went to Google and searched for Hunter 4299B thermostat. I found it online at the Hunter website. However I believe the model number is 42999B. One nine was missing..

Has anyone seen the thermostat in Wal-Mart lately??

BC

JohnDar

Sorry, Bob, I haven't looked lately. They were $20 last year at Wally World. Let the moths out of your wallet and order one:D

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Yea.. I could do that but while we are on the road it is hard for my mail to catch me. Moss won't gather on a rolling stone. Or something like that.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Ahah.. Lowes has it also?.. Didn't think to look there.. LOWES Here I come.. I can steal $5 from the DW.

Thanks
BC

sjrellis

The one I got at WM yesterday ($20) is 42995B. Hope that is the correct one when Jim goes to install it!

Yianni

I saw these at WM today. My local store has plenty of them. My question is how do you switch between heater and A/C? It says it will control both but without opening the package I could not see any switch to move between the two.

ralphpam

Yes the programmable Hunter thermostat works> I installed one and it is so nice to wake up to a warm rig. You do have to manually change between heat and ac but both are programmable. I did not install the high low fan as there is not room for the switch on that model but I only used high anyway. I would recommend you go with the programmable one.

ChopperBill

I have a fancy programmable one in the stick house. Am always changing it. I have a remote thermostat in the Bighorn. I call it Renee!

azbound

You may be correct that the Thermostat is the problem, however; if that doesn't correct the problem it may be the mother board in the furnace. I HAD THE SAME THING HAPPENING and it turned out to be the mother board in the furnace. I still have the original thermostat. And IMHO the thermostate is junk I just haven't got around to replacing it.

Last edited: