Heartland Warranty on leather furniture

atimdg

We purchased a 2010 Big Horn in August of 09 and in Oct 09 the piping on one of the leather chairs burst. We contacted Flair and they said there was a 1 - 2 year warranty on their furniture. We contacted Heartland and they said it was customer misuse. We showed the furniture to several camper people in Mesa, AZ. and where we purchased the trailer in Saskatoon, Sask. Everyone who has looked at the chair says that it is defective furniture not misuse. How can one person, who has never met us, say that we are misusing our furniture? This has us baffled!

atimdg

Chair problem

We are not happy with our Big Horn as we have a leather chair from Flair that is a piece of garbage. We had the 2010 Big Horn 2 months when the piping burst and neither Heartland or Flair are willing to replace it under warranty. I figure they are waiting for the warranty to expire then say there is no warranty left. We are a very disapointed in Heartland.

RoadJunkie

"Abuse" is difficult to establish on either side of the argument. Unfortunately this seems to be a guilty until proven innocent situation. I have a similar situation regarding one of my leather chairs in a 3670RL. It turns out the sculptured slide boarders are very sharp as they move against the arms of the chair as the slide is moved outward. The abrasive motion shaved a portion of the "leather" on the arm exposing the thread beneath. The chair is moved as far against the wall as possible and I don't feel this was abuse...but how do I prove it? Therefore I have not contacted HL because I feel I would be asking a rhetorical question. Good luck with your issue.

jbeletti

Mr Snyder,

I posted this on your RV.net thread and wanted to post it here as well.

I passed this along to Customer Service for re-review. I don't have details but am told there is more to the story. Regardless, I do feel for Mr Snyder, but I am unable to affect the outcome. Sorry Mr Snyder.

Jim Beletti
Director of Owners Interests
Heartland RVs

atimdg

Attached find pictures of the "abuse". From when these were taken the piping has gotten worse. Not sure if they can be opened let me know.

DSC_0085.JPG
DSC_0084.JPG

ChopperBill

Our zipper on our air bed storage bag broke at the "PDI" I didn't even bother Heartland or the dealer with it. I did tell the dealer about but figured I could deal with it ourselves. When I got home I called Flair and three days later I received a new bag. Thought that was pretty good service. When possible I always eliminate the middle man as I seem to get faster and better service.

Leno

RoadJunkie,
Same thing happened with our leather. I'm sure its the slides that rub on the edges, even though I push the chairs as far in as I can.
Does anyone know anything to mend the leather with?

ihsolutions

Those of you who state you are pushing the chairs in as much as possible, are you positioning them the correct way, ie, backs touching together, towards the center of the rear as much as possible? I have found this gives maximum clearance especially considering the valances, etc if the chairs are positioned off-center.

I will state for the record, I do not like my leather chairs in our 3670RL. They are uncomfortable, heavy, and very difficult to maneuver around to a position that lets them move freely to full rock/recline modes.

RollingHome

Re: Chair problem

Jeff, I'm so glad you said that... I just thought I was getting to be a weak old man... Those chairs are hard to move about and harder to put back when it's time to roll. We will do something to ease this, just not sure what yet. We also need to solve the "place to set your drink, plate etc. while RV'ing. Got some ideas just have to get it done. Remember, the small table pre 2011 models...

RoadJunkie

Those of you who state you are pushing the chairs in as much as possible, are you positioning them the correct way, ie, backs touching together, towards the center of the rear as much as possible? I have found this gives maximum clearance especially considering the valances, etc if the chairs are positioned off-center.

I use a sock on the recliner handle, place the chairs back-to-back, put a towel between the chair-backs to avoid wear, put socks between the tie-down straps and the chair, and slide the chair as far as possible toward the back wall. I believe this is a systemic problem and the "leather" chairs are just a bit too wide. If you run your fingers on the non-rounded edge of the slide--the leading edge as you extend the slide--I believe you will find it to be sharp enough to shave the leather off of the chair at the point where the leather is gathered on the front of the arm. I am now extremely careful when I extend the slide and place another hand towel on the arm of the chair. But, of course, the damage is already done.

I'm at least consoled by the fact that others are having this problem--not because they are having a problem, but because there is some solace in knowing your not the only one who failed to see this issue coming. Heartland should look at adding a plastic corner on the sharp edge where it would contact the chair, especially now that they know of the systemic nature of the chair damage.