Soft Brakes.... Any one? - Thoughts?

dougw

I have a 2010 3010 cyclone. While I'm not sure this is an issue or not but I guess I'm fishing to see what other think.

I've noticed that when I'm driving slow say 5-10mph, and I manually override the brake controller on my 2008 F250, I defiantly feel the brakes working. However at speeds on the hwy, I don't feel like the trailer is able slow the truck down when the controller is maxed. I am kind of comparing it to my old trailer that when I had the controller maxed, I could feel it slowing down first then it felt like I was dragging the trailer. I don't get that with this trailer.

Does anyone one sense the same thing? right now I'm maxed at 10 on the controller so I figured it should feel like the trailer brakes should be stronger.

Thanks for any input / thoughts.
Doug

caissiel

There are 2 main type of controlers, and I had both on this trailer. The timed controlers will realy slow down the truck when the brakes are applied for a longer period and will drag the wheels of the trailer also at high speed. I use to like it for going down hill, I was able to hold the trailer back with the the trailer brakes. But I got in a control problems that I felt that this heavy trailer needed fast brakes in emergency. Time delay units are most usefull on light trailers.

I installed a Pedegree unit and its operation is based on the momentum of the truck slowing down. I have it set at 6 out of 10 and the setup permits me to adjust the braking to feel the drag at slow speed. But at higher speed the truck has to create a momemtum of slowing down first on the unit for the brakes to react. So I don't feel it as much but believe me when I want to brake they do work great. I feel much more confident at 60 MPH then I ever did with the time delay unit. I had to come to a quick stop and it was a great feeling.

The instructions are to adjust and test the unit at about 20MPH and just allow the trailer to barely lock the brakes when applying the brakes hard on the truck. So at higher speed the brakes will realy come on behind the braking momemtum of the truck and help in the agressive braking.

jimtoo

What kind of controller do you have?

I have the Tekonsha P2 and the last time or two I pulled my unit I did not think the brakes were working very good. Pulled wheels, packed brgs, checked and adjusted brakes and still not good. Then I found I had somehow changed the settings on the controller as to the level it will apply. I have not pulled it since I found this, but it was set on lightest apply. I am hoping this will take care of my problem,, will pull tomorrow for test run I think. If you have one of these you might get your instructions and check it out.

Jim M

Edit,,, I just reread your post and see you have a Ford... so I assume it is built in controller. So the above would not apply I don't think. But you might get instructions and check.. may have some type of adjustment for trailer weights.

Last edited:

caissiel

There are 3 settings on these units, one is the electronic dial on the display can be adjusted up or down, and 6.0 in recommended to start at. The wheel on the left will also set the aggressivity, and I adjust it so as not to break my neck at slow idle speed. And there is also the boost setting. It could be easy to forget to set one to low and not be able to have good balance.

Willym

Sounds like the OP has the Ford IBC (Integrated Brake Controller) The IBC braking output is reduced by design at lower speeds (I can't remember the actual speed below which this occurs but it is around 15 - 20 mph I think) A few friends have added an aftermarket controller because they didn't like this feature. I think that the design was done this way to avoid the trailer brakes from grabbing at low speeds, which can happen on drum brakes. My 2006 F350 had the IBC and I used it, but did noticed the extra pedal effort required at low speeds (my trailer had disc brakes)

dougw

Sorry all for not being clear. Yes I have the ford IBC (factory controller). As stated I can get the trailer brakes to pull hard at low speed, but during hwy speeds, they seemed a bit soft. Since the posting, I've found some statements to having some update done on it, but have yet to find some real hard data. I basically was just interested in seeing if any other ford users of the IBC had these same feelings.

On one of my first trips out I was in a gas station and was pulling out when the emergency brake cable on the trailer got stuck on some firewood and pull out. The trailer locked up the wheels to the point there was no way the trailer was moving. So I'm not really worried that the brakes are not working but thought I'd "fish" for thoughts.

Thanks
Doug

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
The first thing I would do would be check with the Ford dealer to check out the IBC. The could be a computer software update. Also be aware you may need to increase the setting on the IBC at higher speeds as higher speeds demand greater braking pressure.

lwmcguir

I have a 2010 3010 cyclone. While I'm not sure this is an issue or not but I guess I'm fishing to see what other think.

I've noticed that when I'm driving slow say 5-10mph, and I manually override the brake controller on my 2008 F250, I defiantly feel the brakes working. However at speeds on the hwy, I don't feel like the trailer is able slow the truck down when the controller is maxed. I am kind of comparing it to my old trailer that when I had the controller maxed, I could feel it slowing down first then it felt like I was dragging the trailer. I don't get that with this trailer.

Does anyone one sense the same thing? right now I'm maxed at 10 on the controller so I figured it should feel like the trailer brakes should be stronger.

Thanks for any input / thoughts.
Doug

What setting are you running when at hi way speed? I usually go up to 8 or 9 which seems to apply adequate brake action on the coach. You will need to hold the brake a few seconds to feel the drag at higher speeds as well.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I run 8.5 at highway speeds. My RV weighs 16500. Truck 8500. I do have disc brakes on the RV.

lwmcguir

Might check and add a second ground to be sure you have a good connection. The running lights/stop don't require a very good ground. Brakes will require an excellent ground.

Loco

I know for a fact the trailer brakes should work good. I had troubles with ours. It was the wiring connections. I got under our rig and found bad grounds and crimp connections. So I cut out all crimp connections and soldered and heat shrink all of them. My brake have worked great ever sense.