Battery Question

Saildogs

Just did the first trip in the NorthTrail 24RBS and already considering changes :). The unit came with one battery and no battery switch to turn off the battery without disconnecting the battery. We will install a battery switch but also wanted to ask if owners use only one battery or install a second battery.

2010augusta

we installed a second battery, but the Landmarks come with a pull out tray big enough to hold two group 27 batteries.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
My BH came with a second battery box in the "garage," but I don't have a need for it. If you're connected to shore power, you should not need additional batteries unless you're concerned about prolonged power outages. The folks that do a lot of dry camping, however, need that extra power. I'll be installing a battery switch on mine next week. It's more of a convenience thing for me when I do maintenance on the rig and the battery is installed.

lhetsler

A battery disconnect is nice if you camp a week and then camp again a week or two later with storage in between camping. It keep residual power usage for various thing like the lp detector, etc from running down your batteries. You can alway disconnect the negative cable but a switch is more convenient. Without disconnecting your battery will alway go dead when in storage and not hooked to electric and this is not good for the battery.

sdrubrecht

If you are dry camping a lot, two batteries are a must. Our Cyclone came with only one and one night was enough to kill that battery. We like to dry camp more often than not and dont like to listen to our generator, so we installed 2 L16 6 volts. We have an inverter for 110. With these batteries, we can use our microwave and watch TV and run the heater and dont need to charge for two days. Another good change was to replace our light bulbs with LED's. We get better light at a fraction of the ampacity. To turn on our livingroom lights before cost us about 16 amp/hours. With the LED's, we now use less than 2 amp/hours for better light.

lwmcguir

The battery switch is a necessity. This preserves your equipment in the coach as well as your batteries.

Second battery is a nice luxury and if you dry camp it becomes a necessity as well.