Grey water tanks

rboehlke

We just bought a 2011 BH 3585RL and love it. We camp at a lot of parks that do not have hookups. We also do almost all our cooking outside, so the dishes are washed outside as well. The grey water tank for the kitchen is almost never used, and the bathroom grey water tank needs dumping every 4 days. Does anyone know if the dump cap is left on and the two grey water tank valves are pulled, will the tanks equalize and buy us more time before needing to dump?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Yes they should equalize but what happens when you take off the cap? You will get at least a gallon of stinky gray water dumped somewhere. A better solution is to purchase a gate valve for the end connection on the sewer. Like this. With it, you will be able to dump without losing any gray water and won't be making an unnecessary mess.

slaytop

The tanks will equalize if they are at the same level within the fame. In my coach, one tank is below the drop frame storage area and the other is under the living area floor. Since the drop frame is lower they will not equalize.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
The tanks will equalize if they are at the same level within the fame. In my coach, one tank is below the drop frame storage area and the other is under the living area floor. Since the drop frame is lower they will not equalize.
This is absolutely correct. I didn't give this any thought because our rig's tanks are mounted at the same level. Heartland changed frame design for the 08 model year.