Grease caps

Gary521

I have a 2008 3055 RL. The wheel grease caps are plastic and have all fallen off and one is broken. I called Lippert and they sent me metal ones to replace the plastic ones. The metal covers are supposed to fit by driving them in. I have tried and tried but cannot get them to fit inside the hubs. Anyone had this issue?
Also the plastic caps have an O ring that fits someplace. Anyone know where this O ring goes?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I'm sorry to say, I can't help you. I have never heard of a plastic cap being used on trailer hubs. How close to fitting are the metal replacements? Try checking for any burrs inside the edges of the hubs that may be preventing the caps from going in. Mine fit tight and I used a dead blow mallet to get them in.

jnbhobe

I have plastic caps on mine, but they are 8K Kodiak with a O-ring and they screw on. I have never seen a plastic cap on any 5 or 6 K axels

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I had the plastic ones and like yours they broke. They were broken right from the get go, and Lippert sent me new ones.
The new metal ones don't go in easy. They must go in straight, so use a block of 2x4, flat side on the cap, and then drive them in by pounding on the 2x4 with a hammer.
If they still don't go home, get a bigger hammer. :):):)

Peace
Dave

caissiel

I have the easy lube steel and rubber caps on mine and they work well.
I had a camping neighbour that replaced the caps with the metal with the grease fittings on the end for better lubrication.
When he did maintenance on his hubs I looked at him taking the morning to put those caps on. I asked him why he used those, he said I have been using them forever on my boat trailers. So people realy work hard to stay or keep their habits.

The steel caps I have on my 7000 Lbs axles are the same as the 6000 lbs, and are easy to put on. I use a flat scew driver and hammer and just hit them lightly on the outside rim so as not to dent the cap. Been doing it that way for all my 40 years of experience when I do hub work and never have dented caps.

lwmcguir

I have a 2008 3055 RL. The wheel grease caps are plastic and have all fallen off and one is broken. I called Lippert and they sent me metal ones to replace the plastic ones. The metal covers are supposed to fit by driving them in. I have tried and tried but cannot get them to fit inside the hubs. Anyone had this issue?
Also the plastic caps have an O ring that fits someplace. Anyone know where this O ring goes?

You shouldn't need the o-ring with the metal caps. Get a pipe collar or nipple large enough to just clear the cap and contact the lip. (all mine have a lip that limits how far they need to be seated in the hub) The use a board and hit the assembly square. (the board is just to even out the hammer blow) The larger hammer will work if you keep it straight when you hit it. Usually you can start it slowly as the other post stated and work around it. A dead blow hammer will help if you have stubborn caps.