What does "AUTO" do on our Corningware Crock pot ?

RollingHome

This is a totally not me question. I'm really new at cooking. In fact, if I never post again after today, you know the meal didn't go well :) Anyway, we have a Corning crock pot and I don't know where the manual is:confused:. I did a Google search and I found this site mommysavers.com One of the posters submitted below :

If I remember correctly (I too lost the directions for my crockpot.) The auto setting is when the cooking process begins at the higher setting, then after a time it automatically goes to the lower setting. I dont know how long it cooks on high before it goes to the lower setting. I have never used the auto setting, I've always used either high or low.

Do you know what AUTO does ? Is the above correct ? I'm attempting to make a middle eastern dish, the house smells like Curry and tells me I might be OK, just hope it comes out of the house and cats, yikes ! Curried flavored cats ! Anyhowzit, I put raw vegetables, chicken, shrimp, 2 pork chops, coconut milk and vegetable stock in at 12:00 Noon. I put it on HI, I hope it's done at 6:00 or 7:00 ish... any comments, i.e will HI be OK ? By the way, you guys got me started in my new cooking carreer, especially that Jim Biletti, you may have created a kitchen 'Fronkensteen'. I've been on line and got some good sounding crock pot recipes. This crock pot cooking is so simple a Geico customer could do it ;) Tally Ho, Tom

jbeletti

RollingHome Chef,

6 hours on high sounds about right to me but I don't cook with a crock pot much.

By the way, I tried Bob and Marion Wengler's London Broil recipe last night. Nancy liked it as it was another meal she didn't have to prepare :). But it really wasn't as good as I'd had in Colorado with the Wenglers :(

Let us know how your recipe turned out.

Jim

RollingHome

Thanks, Jim. The recipe stated cook on LO for 9 to 10 hours. Well, I went to the store to get the stuff I needed, came back and put it all together, by then it was 12 noon, I didn't have 9 to 10 hours - that's a long time ! That's why I used HI instead of LO. It's now 3:40 the shrimp are pinkish. Man, it smells so g o o o o d in here I'm am salivating. I can't wait to try it. Wonder if I should mix it ? Yeah, I'm gonna, what will it hurt ? Tally Ho.