Wheel or Axle Problem

jcd8822

Joseph
Has anyone had a problem with their wheel or axle on their Bighorm? When we left the rally in Elkhart we went to Virginia, then to Maine and then on into Canada. Each time we stop for fuel we do a walk around and I would notice from time to time that the back right wheel looked as if it was sticking out at the bottom when compared to the wheel in front of it. It did not always happen, but it bothered me. On the return trip home we stopped to refuel in Mississippi and that is when we noticed the back LEFT tire was considerably worn on the inside. It was worn enough to see the steel belting. The nearest (I should say only) tire shop did not have a LT235/80R16E tire, only a LT235/85R16E. So we had him take the tire off of the spare and place it on the wheel and we bought his tire for a spare as we did not want to be on the road without a spare.

Has anyone had a problem with a tire wearing on the inside? The tire dealer said it was an axle problem. I called Southwest RV and they said it might be or it might not be. So I made an appointment for tomorrow morning.

We had the rig weighed at the rally to make certain we were not over loaded, and we never go over 60 m.p.h. When we get on a rough highway we bring the speed down to what ever is necessary for a better ride. I would expect a problem with the front axle more so than the rear. Needless to say I was not excited about having to spend $110 on a tire near the end of the trip.

Joseph

BigBlue

BigBlue
I had a problem on my Landmark. I had the off door front tire completely worn, no tread left after 6000 miles. I had it checked at a tire dealer that also did alignment and they said the camber was off. I called Al Ko and they replaced the axle. I had it shipped to my dealer and they put it on.

jcd8822

Joseph
We took our Bighorn to Southwest RV today and it appears to be a spring problem. ("It collasped") They will call us tomorrow with more information as soon as they talk with Heartland and the spring mfg. They said they have had the same problem with other brands that come limping in off the road and it is not an unusual problem.

They repalced our Flexguard today. When I got there this morning they were familiar with the problem, again with some other brands having the same failure, and have corrected it by adding a "butterfly hinge." I feel better already about Flexguard situation.

Joseph

v92c

Texan
I imagine you are referring to the Southwest RV in Katy? Mine is there now, one of the things they are looking at is adding hinges to the Flexguard straps. And also a new rim.

elwaller39

Evans & Lana
Hi Joseph,
Sorry to hear of your break down on your BigHorn I hope all goes well for you. I need you at the 2007 Rally!! Keep us posted when your BigHorn is back on the road. Evans & Lana

jcd8822

Joseph
v92c said:
I imagine you are referring to the Southwest RV in Katy? Mine is there now, one of the things they are looking at is adding hinges to the Flexguard straps. And also a new rim.

Yes, Southwest in Katy is the place. They seem to have the Flexguard problem solved with their "butterfly hinge." I saw your rim while we were there. WOW, that was something else.

jcd8822

Joseph
Evans & Lana Waller said:
Hi Joseph,
Sorry to hear of your break down on your BigHorn I hope all goes well for you. I need you at the 2007 Rally!! Keep us posted when your BigHorn is back on the road. Evans & Lana

Hi Evans and Lana. I appreaciatge your post. I still have not heard back from Southwest RV. They do not appear to be the best in the world at "getting back with any information." I told them we had to have it ready to leave on the monring of Oct. 20th. We are going to a DataStorm in Kerrville, Tx.

We will definitely be in Goshen next year. We mailed in our check last week for the rally. We are ready to see everyone again. Hope all is well with you and your family.

Bighorn Axle problems

We purchased a 2008 Heartland Bighorn 3370RL. My husband was leaving our home on Tuesday for our first trip in this unit. 150 feet from our home as he put on the brake, he was almost thrown through the window. He looked in the rear view mirrow to see body damage to the drivers side of the unit. He limped it back in front of our home to further investigate. He discovered that the back axle had dislocated on both sides, shocks torn loose, bent mounts on the frame, shredded tires, leaves on springs missing and of course the very obvious structural damage. Heartland sent a tech from Lippert to our home to repair the axles (front & back) and we have now taken it to a local RV dealership to have all other work completed under warranty. We are very afraid of this unit now and would love some reassurance that it will be a safe unit once all the damage is corrected, however, our desire is to get another unit out of fear that it will happen again.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
We purchased a 2008 Heartland Bighorn 3370RL. My husband was leaving our home on Tuesday for our first trip in this unit. 150 feet from our home as he put on the brake, he was almost thrown through the window. He looked in the rear view mirrow to see body damage to the drivers side of the unit. He limped it back in front of our home to further investigate. He discovered that the back axle had dislocated on both sides, shocks torn loose, bent mounts on the frame, shredded tires, leaves on springs missing and of course the very obvious structural damage. Heartland sent a tech from Lippert to our home to repair the axles (front & back) and we have now taken it to a local RV dealership to have all other work completed under warranty. We are very afraid of this unit now and would love some reassurance that it will be a safe unit once all the damage is corrected, however, our desire is to get another unit out of fear that it will happen again.
I for one can certainly understand your concern. For what it's worth, I would think it will be fine. Due to what you've been through, I would think that those doing the repairs would make darn sure it was repaired right. If you know anyone personally with welding and/or mechanical experience, ask them to inspect the work. Ask the dealer to take the unit out for some serious road testing and apply the trailer brakes using the controller only to put extra stress on the welds and spring perches. I hope everything comes out well and I'm sure Heartland will do you right.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Wow, what a story....I hope all goes well with the repairs. Mine is in the shop right now waiting for some parts. Like Ray said, I'm sure that Heartland will step up and get it fixed for you.