Time to visit Yellowstone?

tmcran

We are thinking of going to Yellowstone, but getting mixed reviews about going in July and August. Any ides?

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
TC, all I can say is it will be warm and crowded. Better call NOW and make a reservation.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We are in Yellowstone right now...first visit, and it's wonderful.

I will say they are already starting to fill up...and the campground we're in says they are already booked for July and June is almost gone. This is, without a doubt, the best RV park in close proximity to Yellowstone...it's The Grizzly RV Park in West Yellowstone, MT...and strangely enough it's less expensive than some of the others that are no where near as nice...so I can see why it fills up first.

I do not think I would come here in the high-season (June, July or August), way too crowded and more expensive. Actually coming over the pass from the south entrance the snow covered mountains were absolutely breathe taking! However, the weather can go from nice to winter in the blink of an eye...BUT, the chance of seeing wildlife is much better this time of year.

We saw something yesterday, most never see...a pack of Grey Wolves (center picture),who had brought down a buffalo. They had it on the opposite side of the river from the road and we were able to watch the spectacle without fear (along with coyote first pic) of disturbing these beautiful creatures doing what came naturally...PRICELESS! The last picture is a herd of Elk not 50 feet away as we ate our lunch...what a day!!;)

100_0017..jpg100_0004..jpg100_0013..jpg

Last edited:

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Ken & Kathy..
The attachments are not working..

I was raised up around Casper and love Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons. Go by Colter Bay and see if you can swim in the lake... Freeze your toto off.. lol

Hope you have fun. Be sure to go to Cody and Thermopolis .

BC

moose53

We visited Yellowstone last September, hoping the kids were back in school. We were able to make reservations when we arrived in Cody for Fishing Bridge and stayed 4 days. The weather was fine and the place was busy but nothing like they say it is in the summer. Enjoy, it's beautiful.

plumberdude

We stayed in Yellowstone last year the last week in August. Not much traffic
and got to see alot of wildlife. What a beautiful trip. It was a little difficult to
ride the motorcycle with one hand and take pictures with the other. Especially,
when the Elk is standing next to you and bugling. Awesome!
DW-Lori

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
TC, you might look at going to West Yellowstone. It's really pretty on that side also. Plenty of wildlife. Buffalo walk along the road eating grass and they not afraid of cars. It's on I-20 out of Idaho Falls, Idaho. You could go east to 1-191 and go north to Bozeman Montana from there. Remember in this area of the country the saying goes "if you don't like the weather now...wait 10 minutes". BTW, Pat and I will driving through that area in July also (no Horn) going to Montana.

DeanWag

Will be going through there first week in July, Truck an trailer is too long for campgrounds in park 53' so had to go outside to private ones and boy the prices they charge ouch!!

Cimriver

We are going in July. We've been there twice in July. It's crowded, but not that bad. You will run into a few delays for animal spottings. The weather is nice in July also.

DXprowler

We stayed at Fishing Bridge a few years ago around this time of year (the end of May). There was still snow in the forest and snow banks from road clearing all around the campground. They got dumped on with a foot a snow the week before we arrived. Beat the crowds though but still ran into a few Bear Jams. Saw a Moose with a new born and it was very new born by maybe just a few hours! Yellowstone is amazing and we really enjoyed it! Came from the east over the Bighorns to Cody. If you choose this route it's an unbelievable pass so make sure you have the proper equipment! Now with the size of our new trailer I think I would want to stay in Jackson but West Yellowstone would be easier access if you haven't been to the park before.

kakampers

We just arrived in Cody after going over the Bighorns...trust me, that is an unbelievable pass!! Thank God we've got the Kodiak with exhaust brake, especially at 28,000lbs...some guy in front of us with a much smaller trailer and truck was burning his brakes out...could smell them...really glad he was in front of us instead of behind us!!

It was actually snowing like crazy...it's considerably warmer here in Cody...just alot more wind.

Iver

You must see Wade Lake and Cliff Lake near West Yellowstone. There is a state campground on Wade Lake near the logde. You can go to their web site to see what I mean .. Wade Lake Cabins. It is a bit out of the way. Have been there twice and must go back again.

TNT

We will be there in the beginning of July for over a week and will be staying mostly at the Grizzly RV Park in West Yellowstone with family. This is our 3rd trip since 2006 (every other year) and we have always been there early July, never had a problem with crowds. The first year we went, we stayed at Fishing Bridge for 4 nights and then in West Yellowstone for a few. Our fifth wheel at the time was smaller and could fit Fishing Bridge but had to leave the motorcycle outside the whole time since there are no pull-throughs. Didn't like it even though loved the location. Tried Grizzly RV 2 years ago and loved it. For what you get, worth the price compared to where stayed 2 years before. Didn't hesitate to call for reservations (early) again this year. If anyone will be there from July 3 to July 9 let us know, we like to go for walks in the evening and would love to stop by. Yellowstone is wonderful regardless of crowds or weather! Enjoy whatever you decide.

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
We are going to Glacier National Park, West Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons in July of this year. We are staying at Mountain Meadows RV Park in Hungry Horse, MT from July 6-11, then Grizzly RV Park near the West Yellowstone entrance from July 13-18th, but here is the latest tidbit everyone should know, is the Grand Teton RV Resort 6 miles east of Moran Junction, has been newly renovated and we will be there July 18-22. Located just 6 miles east of Moran Junction, we will be camping only 32 miles from Yellowstone National Park and just outside the east entrance of Grand Teton National Park. Also just 36 miles from the town of Jackson. Enjoy views of the majestic Grand Teton mountains from most of their campsites., and the new owner told me by July it will be stunning there, right in the middle of the Teton's. Their website is www.yellowstonerv.com and there might be a few sites left this summer, so grab one if u can, as it's my turn to share LOL. I was told Coulter Bay RV Park is already sold out, and as many have said, there is slim pickings in these areas for the whole summer. I want to thank all the HL owners who suggested campgrounds nearby, as that's how we lucked out and got Mountain Meadows RV Park, and Grizzly RV Park, from owners suggestions on this forum!

The way I look at it, tmcran, if they are that busy in the Yellowstone area July and August, someone must know something good. If any other Heartland owners will be in the same neck of the woods during this period, let us know so we can all hang out and have an impromptu rally!

kakampers

Hate to break it to you Larry...but if they just "renovated" Grand Teton RV Park near Moran...they need to get their money back. We just spent two nights there and in a word...it's a DUMP!!! We wanted to stay longer, but two days was all we could take...we then moved to W. Yellowstone to Grizzly...world of difference, and unbelievably LESS expensive then Grand Teton...$39.00 off-season and $57.00 in-season.

They have a long way to go before I'd consider it renovated. They charged us $45.00 a night (off-season-$62.00 in-season) and the picnic table looked like someone ran it over with a truck...completely unusable!! Not to mention the site was small, hard to get into, ground squirrel holes everywhere...thought I was gonna break an ankle. Junk and old vehicles everywhere...I could go on, but you get the picture. I wouldn't recommend this to my worst enemy...

MC9

Don't know about availability at this time but, we always stay at the Virginian in downtown Jackson. I usually stay in late Sept.