Going to Carlsbad Caverns

Ernie & Lettie

Middle of oct we are going to Carlsbad Caverns. Leaving Tucson on the 15th, staying in El Paso that nite then arrieving at calrsbad on the 16th. Leaving the 21 or 22 to go back to tucson, staying overnite in el paso then going to tucson. Some questions, anybody have a good park for overnite in el paso, and what a good place in carlsbad., We have a travel trailer and a part chow and german sheppard dog. It really doesnt have to be the ritz but would like something that is nice. also we are going to the caverns but we have 5 days to fill any suggestions on that. Thanx for looking

Dragoon

Since we are Escapees, we would stay in Deming at the Dream Catcher RV Park, and then at the Ranch in Lakewood, NM (about 25 miles from Carlsbad).

SilverRhino

There is a large KOA just North of Carlsbad.....very wide open....no trees. People there were very friendly and we enjoyed our stay. We were there in the Fall so the heat issue of no shade was not an issue. The night skies were fantastic!

Travel Safe!

Ernie & Lettie

Thanx everybody, will check out that websight later Road junkie, Was thinking of staying in el paso at the mission rv park for one nite going to carlsbad and one nite going back home. There was Carlsbad rv park and campground in carlsbad that doenst look to bad, any info on that one. Trying to get things together so we will have a good time. thanx again

Wharton

I sometimes use Goole Earth to look up the physical aspects of a CG. We do not like backin sites that are perpendicular to the street, especially if a tree is on the wrong side of the backin. Also we are able to guess the widths of the streets which is critical to a perpendicular site. Assuming there are not a lot of trees, this works fine.

jwpurdy

We stayed at Carlsbad rv park Jan 2009 for 2 days and were satified. It is much closer to Carlsbad Caverns than the parks north of Carlsbad. We have stayed at the Hacienda Rv park in Las Cruces, NM. It is a very nice new park and is very easy to get to off I-10.

TNT

We too have stayed at the Hacienda RV Park in Las Cruces, NM. Would recommend over El Paso. Have stayed at KOA north of Carlsbad also and enjoyed it. Have not stayed at Carlsbad RV. Google Earth is best bet!

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
I don't mean to be a downer, but we were totally unimpressed by Carlsbad Caverns. It is 750 feet down, but all the rocks are the same color, and the Carlsbad area was hit hard by the down economy. We stayed at a decent park about 30 miles away at the KOA of Carlsbad. There are some other RV parks that I would recommend are closer, as there is zero to do. I thought we would hit it big by stopping in Area 51, which was closed, and Roswell was a dump. There is one neat museum there and the UFO store was kind of neat, in fact the alien in there looked very familiar, a little bit like JimBo Beletti. I thought he was from outer space LOL!

If you want to see some neat caverns, you should take a look at Cave of the Winds in Manitou Springs, near Colorado Springs, and see the spectacular colors. Nearby is Piike's Peak as well, where u can drive up to the top at 14,400 feet, where you will visit some nice EMT folks in their tourist store, in case you pass out from the oxygen depleted air.

Ernie & Lettie

Thanx everybody for the info, Talked to my sister and told her what the wife and I were planning and she told me that she really enjoyed her trip to the caverns, only thing is that her trip was years ago, so it could have changed so we will see. Really wanted to go to San Antonio the same timeframe but just couldn't talk the wife into it. Again thanx for all the info. If anybody has any more info will be appreciated.

Ernie & Lettie

Update, just got reservations at Brantley state park today starting the 16th of oct to the 21st. On the way there and on the way back we are staying at American R.V Park for 1 nite each way. Looking forward for this trip. We will be staying in spot 4 at the limestone campground at Brantley. This will be the farthest we have gone with the trailer. Can't wait.

fljlcw

we are in Roswell pm me when you get here and we will meet up and do our favorite passtime EAT or what ever Fred # 1073

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
We just came back from a trip with our grandsons to Carlsbad and then to Colorado Springs. We stayed at the Carlsbad RV Park and Campground and found it to be pretty nice. The kids loved the indoor pool and I loved how close it is to the caverns.

While you're there, try eating at Happy's Restaurant. The food is very good and not a bad price.

Ernie & Lettie

jayc what kind of food do they serve. Is it in the city of carlsbad. Was going to stay at the same place as you but checked out rvpark reviews and some of the reviews were not that good. Glad you liked it though. have a good one Ernie & Lettie

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
We ate the burgers and had breakfast a couple of times, both great! I was a bit hesitant about the park based on RV Park Reviews too, but took a chance and it paid off.

Ernie & Lettie

Thanx for the info and am glad everything worked out for you. We may stop by that campground while we are there. Again thanx Ernie & Lettie