Just ordered our BC 3250TS

archbarb

We have just finalized our order for our BC 3250TS. Supposed to be ready for pickup in Elkhart the last of June or early July. We now have a 2009 Heartland North Trail (26RKS) travel trailer which has been great. We know Heartland makes a great product, and look forward to many years of enjoyment.

We have looked at so many fifth wheels that they seemed to all run together. Alot of them had things we wanted, and also things we really did'nt want. Thats the reason we went with the build. One thing though, there was never a doubt which company we would choose.

I know I'll have plenty of questions later, but the main one now is which is the prefered hitch to use. Fifth wheel or Gooseneck hitch?

Any advise given would be great.

Thanks

caissiel

I am a mechanical Engineer and goose necks on 5th wheel campers truly scare me. They are not design like the horse trailers with a heavy duty post designed for much heavier pin weight. I already broke a pin box frame on the previous trailer and did the calculations on the design and the trailer was at the 100% allowable flexing with standard weight.

My new BC 5th wheel pin box is moving close to 1/2" already and I am pulling it with a 3/4 ton truck, it would be worst with a ton truck. The design seam to be in the ball park and with the pin lowered by an additional 12" to 16" surely would add much unwanted stresses when going uphills and surely braking.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
My new BC 5th wheel pin box is moving close to 1/2" already and I am pulling it with a 3/4 ton truck, it would be worst with a ton truck. The design seam to be in the ball park and with the pin lowered by an additional 12" to 16" surely would add much unwanted stresses when going uphills and surely braking.

Hey Laurent, would you explain this further for me? I don't understand but would like to!

Thanks!

caissiel

All metal is used in structures with a certain allowable flexing. When trailer frames are build they have to follow the limited weight formula that create a limit on the metal realy being used and its design requirement. The frame on the front part of the travel trailers are following the same pricipal and need to flex. My previous trailer was designed with the flexing of the frame was on the max alowable for the pin weight. An electrician cut a hole in the most loaded member at the wrong place and the beam bend enough to flex the pin box up about 1-1/2 inch before I had a chance to fix it. It was a 2" hole for a 1/2" wire that I rerouted around this member anyway.

On our trailers the frame is build with lots of reinforcing on the center of the pinbox, and I hope they took into consideration the front highest member that holds the pin box. This front beam has 200% loading compared to the next rear beam. That is when the pin is just about 8 inches lower and 12" forward. If the Goose neck is installed the location becomes about 24" lower and the same distance ahead of this beam.

The resulting load on the standard hitch at 14" and the resulting load on the Gooseneck is about 27" equal to 186% more. load on a lever is proportional to the distance. I my books its very unsafe in the stopping and pulling element. It might hold the static hitch load ok but that load is the least of all loading that can happen.
That is why its designed with the pin so close to the trailer frame because there is no reinforcing member that goes down lower.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Thanks!

Now, your pin box is currently flexing about 1/2 inch. Two questions...where is it flexing and why would a 1 ton make it worse?

archbarb

I think the warranty is null and void if you use a gooseneck !!!

I did find out from the dealer that Lippert would void the warranty on the frame if a gooseneck is used. Also the warranty is voided if for example you have a bike rack or another type of pulling hitch attached to the frame!!!!!

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Archbarb - congratulations on your new 3250. Hope you enjoy it as much as we enjoyed ours.

Hi
I believe Jon is correct in telling you that you may void your warranty with a gooseneck. When Jim from Heartland was organizing to take our camper back to repair the flexing last Oct that is one of the questions that he asked me - had it ever been towed with a Gooseneck. I said no and he indicated that they were not to be towed with Gooseneck hitches.
good luck with your new camper.
le