NOAA Alert

Saildogs

We have a Northtrail 24 RBS with the touch radio. I would like to know how to disable the NOAA weather alert. The instructions in the manual do not work.

Marshall

I also would like to know how to turn off the NOAA Alert.

I also tried the pitiful manual instructions, but with no luck. I ended up tuning to an empty weather channel for the area we are in, so no alerts go off when we are not at the trailer.

If anyone finds out how to turn off the "NOAA" display on the Touch Audio unit, please reply here.

Thanks

USAF6999

Make that three of us. First trip with brand new North Trail NT26RKS last week. Was horrified to return to the campsite and find the radio blasting a weather alert on both inside and outside speakers. If I can't somehow defeat the weather alert "feature" I'm considering a kill switch on the power line to the Touch Audio system. That would not only solve the weather alert problem but also eliminate battery draw (albeit small) when the audio system is in standby mode.

RollingHome

This is a common complaint with all/any NOAA radio's ! Sorry, the guys and gals at NOAA get bored and consider any "possible" quirk a "YA all oughta know" situation. The only thing you can do is turn it off ! Sorry, that's just the way it is. On the other hand, the boyze and gals at our NOAA station here in PA this past weekend had a ball and they were right ! They issued 9 tornado warnings ! 2 Funnel clouds were spotted and we had some hail a little bit larger then golf balls... ouch ! Weather forcatsing is not an exact science, the folks at the NOAA stations err on the side of caution.... better to be safe then sorry ! Turn the radios off if you're bothered, and you are on your own, GOOD LUCK ! ta

ta

M

Mcreech

I believe there is a way to turn the NOAA off and if i remember right it had something to do with the remote control......I'm not 100% sure but I remember a posting from an owner that said its on the remote.....Hope this helps

bozo

We have a Northtrail 24 RBS with the touch radio. I would like to know how to disable the NOAA weather alert. The instructions in the manual do not work.

Marshall

Hey Guys, bozo here for the rescue. The best way to do this is with an on/off switch. When I change channels and a weather alert has been issused for my area suprize at 3:00 am in the morning my friend on the radio would start shouting Take Cover. Hear in the south thats what you never want to hear. But you love the warning when it comes. My 21 Fbs (26') feels heavy to pull but it wouldnt do so well in an F3 or F4. I chose to put a battery kill switch on the battery. Not hard to do and cost just a few bucks if you do it yourself. Go to Basspro Shops or your favorite marine store to get one they are water proof. Mount it to the frame of your TT or on the outside of the battery box between TT and Positive cable. This will keep it from coming on in storage and running the battery down. As for turning it off while camping, well let me say I'll just keep getn up and turning it off in the middle of the night. That way I can hear that TRIAN sound coming. I JUST HATE GETTING WOKE UP BY A F4 TORNADO but thats just me. HAPPY CAMPING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bozo

Brian & Sheila
20011 NT 21 FBS
2004 GMC 4x4 Z71

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Actually very easy to turn off the alarm! The user guide is pretty lame, but a couple of minutes with the remote in hand and waalaa, alarm turned off. I had inadvertantly turned it on when trying to set a wake up alarm. Turn the radio on and put on the noaa channel, press the alarm button on the remote and watch the display (there is a little speaker/horn icon). Once to turn on and once to turn off.

Saildogs

I did find the instructions on turning off the alarm, have turned off the outside speakers to not blast neighbors in the CG, and have installed a battery switch for use when the TT is parked in the driveway. Being a sailboat owner since 1978, I appreciate NOAA but NOT blasting in my driveway. I'm sure my neighbors are happier now too.

Thanks for all the help!

Marshall

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Thanks to all for your input. I'll move this out of the ATF section into a relevant area of the forum for further discussion.

Actually very easy to turn off the alarm! The user guide is pretty lame, but a couple of minutes with the remote in hand and waalaa, alarm turned off. I had inadvertantly turned it on when trying to set a wake up alarm. Turn the radio on and put on the noaa channel, press the alarm button on the remote and watch the display (there is a little speaker/horn icon). Once to turn on and once to turn off.

One small phenominal problem. My remote does not work even after changing batteries so I need to find out how to do this from the screen. I also agree the "Touch Audio" manual is lame and with no customer support or web site useless. Would appreciate any help you can give me. I will eventually take the rig back to the dealer (110 miles away) and deal with the remote via warranty but for now I need to turn that darn warning system off.

Wayno

Does this actually stop the NOAA weather broadcast from coming on or does this just turn off the alarm and the beep,beep sound?

thomison

NOAA weather radio operates on 7 different frequencies or channels. That's why the radios have 7 channels. No where in the country will you be able to receive all 7 of these channels on your radio. In most places, you might receive 3, with only one being really clear. When there is a weather alert, NOAA will transmit a 1050 Hz tone that will turn on the radio and sometimes causes an alert tone to be heard. I have not found a why to turn of the NOAA radio but there is a simple why way to insure that your radio will not come on when NOAA transmits their alert tones. That is to tune your radio to a frequency or channel, that is not transmitted in your area. You can to the NOAA web site, www.weather.gov/nwr, then to at the coverage maps, or just select a channel on your radio that is completly silent. No static or noise. Just dead air. What that means is that your radio is tuned to a channel that is not being transmitted in your area. As an example, I live on the eastern shore of Maryland. I have my radio set on channel 3. Since NOAA does not transmit on channel three in this area, the radio never comes on. Hope this helps